Characters From Before to Beyond: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Discussion Thread! - January Challenge up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I'm interested. Though this kind of challenge might require a generous amount of time to post since it would be same-day, like the Monday Mush.

Situations....... I guess it would have to be something simple that can be resolved with a one-post story, when they're between missions. Or out on a simple mission and something comes up. How about......

- walking through a garden and getting the hem of his robe full of stickers that he has to take out.
    - in a traffic accident as a passenger (and a non-Jedi driving); another vehicle with a bad driver broadsides them.
    - stuck in an elevator in the Republic senate building with upset senators; no extraordinary cause or emergency, just a mechanical breakdown.
    - in a crowded city, a team of two people try to pick Qui-Gon's pockets.
    - they're on the ground; they need to get in touch with someone on a balcony on the 10th floor of a building they're in front of as quickly as possible.
    - practicing Force-push with Obi-Wan
    - getting rid of a salesman
    - sitting in a bar with Obi-Wan when a fight (that they have nothing to do with) breaks out
    - trimming his toenails (or do droids do that?)
    - figuring out a very complicated multi-species lavatory, after he's been drinking a lot of tea
    - crossing a narrow shallow stream
    - being offered a large gift by a grateful citizen
    - buying something at the Coruscant equivalent of a big-box store

There's an awful lot of variation in the situations. Type of planet, people, time of day, etc. All of that could change what Qui-Gon does. Perhaps simpler situations or more specific events?

2. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm interested, Seremela. :)

Great ideas, ardavenport.[face_peace]
  3. katie9918 Force Ghost

star 1
    Is anyone here? *switches on flashlight* I think I see some movement over there, but it might be my mind playing tricks on me.

I actually had a question that could have a lot of answers.

Is there any sort of consensus on any possible personal attachments (not necessarily romantic) that Obi-Wan may have felt able to form once he adjusted to life on Tatooine and once he felt a bit more removed from the immediate aftermath of RotS?

If he needed someone to talk to, I think Qui-Gon would have placed himself at Obi-Wan's disposal (except for when he had to poof over to Dagobah to hang out with Yoda, anyway), which may be partly responsible for Obi-Wan's appearing to be a crazy old hermit. Did anyone else aside from Uncle Owen ever refer to Ben as crazy? I know Han took several long glances Ben's way once Ben and Yoda hooked with the Falcon boys, but was Obi-Wan widely pandered as a crazy old hermit on Tatooine?

Also, I'm wondering how Qui-Gon must have felt watching Obi-Wan go through all that he did. I don't think he would have necessarily felt guilt, but maybe he would wish he was there with him through his trials and tribulations.

Also, are there any fics speculating about Qui-Gon's first padawan? Apparently, he or she was a successful apprentice but perhaps a simple ordinary Jedi, for Qui-Gon seemed to ignore the fact that he had successfully trained one Knight before the disaster of Xanatos.
  4. obsessedwithSW Force Ghost

star 4
    here's an after Rots obi-wan finds love story thats great http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16813029 and Vader64 also has a good one too http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/26181554/p1 crowned with consolation.
  5. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, we're still around. :)

I don't know about any personal attachments for Obi-Wan on Tatooine, but since Luke knows him as a hermit, I doubt he had any. Luke did refer to him as 'strange' so I presume that everyone around Anchorhead thought of him as a weird loner and left him to himself.

The revelation that Obi-Wan had Qui-Gon to talk to during his exile was big. Before then, we just thought he was by himself. But a back story like that makes him so much more interesting.

I've written a few short fics about a first padawan for Qui-Gon and others have, too. They're listed on the Qui-Gon Story Index.

6. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Sooooooooo, we have a little more serious back story for Obi-Wan. From a recent Clone Wars cartoon (Voyage of Temptation). Master Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan spent a year on Mandalore. During which time Obi-Wan and the Duchess (Satine) developed a bit of an attachment -- enough for Obi-Wan to admit that he might have left the Jedi Order if she'd asked.

That last bit sounds a bit over-dramatic -- not to mention too much like Anakin, especially when she confessed her love to him when she thought she was going to die; sound familiar? :rolleyes: Don't know if I'd use this in my fics, but such an interesting development. Obi-Wan's got old girl friends coming out of the woodwork. [face_whistling] Perhaps Satine is the one who de-virginated him? [face_mischief]

The prequels and now the Clone Wars made hash out of previously written 'canon' books. I see they're still busy doing so.;)
  7. LuvEwan Force Ghost

star 4

My thoughts exactly. It's tired and predictable and, I think, out of Obi-Wan's character. I'm done with Clone Wars. [face_not_talking]
  8. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Oooooooh, I'm not done with it at all. They're just gearing up. The highlights for me are:

9. I like the voice actors

10. I like how the animation is developing (except Obi-Wan's chiseled hair)

11. It's free

12. It's been making hash out of some of the printed SW canon

13. That last one is my favorite.[face_mischief] The lack of consistency in the SW pro-fic leaves bantha-sized holes for just about any fanfic to lumber through. I wonder when they'll get around to trashing all that crap they've written for the EU? [face_thinking] Of course, they might just replace it with NEW crap, but those things happen.

Actually, sometimes they come up with some good stories in Clone Wars. Frankly, the clone-centered stories have been the strongest, IMO -- I'm not a big fan of clones, but they've done a fair job with them. They had an elderly Jedi character 'guest star' in a recent episode who was quite enjoyable and true to the Jedi, IMHO.

14. LuvEwan Force Ghost

star 4
    I've been disappointed by the writing---I've just never been able to get into Ahsoka, let alone this new character.

I'm still waiting for the day when there is a profic book about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. I think I'll be waiting for a long time. :p
  15. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I like the voice actor who does Ahsoka. She puts a lot of character into it. But the whole idea of Anakin having a padawan is really pushing believability based on what we see in the movies. They're going to have to wrap up this cartoon sometime and explain what happens to Ahsoka by the time we get to ROTS and why someone so important to Anakin is simply gone.

Ooooooooooh, when the writing is bad in the Clone Wars cartoon they don't kid around. I think the worst had to be the one where Padme was infected with terminal blueness and they had to go to that one special planet in the whole wide galaxy that had the only cure. This is about the level of writing that you'll find in a D&D game - laughably bad.[face_laugh] They salvaged it a little with a humorous kid who reprogrammed a bunch of battle droids to act as his servants. But otherwise, it was just bad.

Weirdly enough, I liked the few episodes they had with Jar-Jar. But maybe I'm just twisted. [face_mischief]

I don't know about a pro-fic Qui-Gon and and Obi-Wan book. I'd love to see more of them, but I'm too worried that they'll do something I really don't like.

Oh, BTW, I finally got around to looking at 'Wild Space'. Obi-Wan gets critically injured in the first third of the book -- geez, LuvEwan, no wonder you loved it. ;)
  16. LuvEwan Force Ghost

star 4
    And that's nothing compared to what happens to him in the last two thirds. [face_skull]

"Wild Space" was the book of my dreams. And the next one comes out a week from Tuesday. [face_love] One of the great things about that book is that it talks a good deal about Qui-Gon. Plus, the author dedicated the book to Ewan McGregor. :D

Ahsoka and Duchess Sateene are two things that don't make any sense to me. But they're not in either trilogy, so I don't try to make them fit into my view of the GFFA.

And there needs to be a new challenge up in here!
  17. GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yes 'Wild Space' was absolutely awesome, the depth of Obi-Wan's character was great (and who could resist a book dedicated to
    Ewan?:p) - I can't wait to read the next two books (I wonder if they will be as good...?).
  18. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 6
    Ah, Wild Space. I pick it up and read a few pages at random while I'm,er, humoring the cat with my requested presence (all of several minutes at a time).

As for Satine de-virginating Obi-Wan - wouldn't that be unprofessional on a mission? [face_whistling]

I'd like to see how/if that ties in with Siri - was he on the rebound? Does Siri exist in the TCW version of GFFA anyway?

I'd love to write the back history of Obi-Wan, Satine, & Qui-Gon but ....
  19. katie9918 Force Ghost

star 1
    I love Wild Space. In fact, I'm in the middle of it again. Obi-Wan needs more annoying friends like Bail and not only people who like him when they need to *glares at the Wild Space Padme* Selfish little girl. If this is what happens when a planet presses their kids into service when they should be making these kinds of judgment errors, then Padme should have been starting high school instead of being the Queen. Gah.

I think every bit of information we get about Qui and Obi together is pretty much gold. I especially loved the part in Wild Space where Yoda first tells Obi that Anakin's mistakes are no failure of his, but then scolds him for his attachment to Anakin and drags Qui into it as well.

Poor Obi. Even without getting almost killed twice, Wild Space wasn't a fun outing for him.
  20. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 6
    Indeed, Obi-Wan was more beat up than in fanfics!

Anyone else think Yoda was a bit cold sometimes? I think the author bought the train of thought that the Jedi were supposed to be these emotionless robots, but it was all a facade and inside few had true serenity.

I really like the counter idea that Yoda's compassion shines from him even though he doesn't emote much other than with his ears. I think some Jedi are very human - they get cross, they get exhausted, and they're driven nuts by others - BUT they release the feelings and so don't too obviously show them.

The idea that they should squelch them and never even feel them does not match the Jedi we see in the movies & in TCW.

The idea that Yoda looks so disapprovingly upon even such emotions as worry that a Jedi will beat himself up trying to pretend he isn't worried just seems - wrong.
  21. katie9918 Force Ghost

star 1
    I prefer to wank that Yoda was simply confused and frightened himself, so he was overcompensating by dumping on everyone else for their emotions. Besides which, he did spend a good deal of time dealing with Palpatine in Wild Space and I think the discovery that Bail Organa was being fed information about the Sith disconcerted him.

He came as close to a smackdown of Mace Windu for his emotional state as I thought anyone would ever dare.

Obi spent a good deal of time thinking about Qui in Wild Space. Poor little dear, I wouldn't be surprised if he was wondering if he'd be joining him soon.
  22. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 6
    Good grief, he did lay the hammer on Mace, didn't he? And in the next breath, understood why Mace was distraught. That was - strange.

LuvEwan, I don't like Ahsoka in her perky little outfit running around in battles and out-Jedi-ing the Jedi when she's a green under the ears padawan. I don't like the idea of Anakin having a padawan when he never refers to her in ROTS.

However, in a fictional universe other than OUR GFFA - she's not bad. I like the voice actress.
  23. katie9918 Force Ghost

star 1
    Only Yoda has the stones to lay the hammer on Mace. I'm sure Qui also did, but by this point he's been dead for a decade.

Yoda was pretty schizo. I have to admit, Palpatine's inner thought process throughout the entire book was extremely amusing, as was his springing on Bail Organa that he likes to drive fast speeders. I'd like this author to tackle Obi, Bail, and Palpatine again.
  24. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Hahahahahahaha! We have it from the Maker's own lips at CV! :D

Obi-Wan is from the planet, Stewjon.

Never mind that it's just a joke play on Jon Stewart's name. Lucas said it, so it must be so. :p
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.