main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters From Before to Beyond: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Discussion Thread! - January Challenge up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Take a Chance on a Challenge!

Want to write something about our boys, but don?t know what? Then this is challenge for you! Choose a Jedi, a Species and a Planet to get the backbone of your story. Each of them will represent a genre (the Jedi), a character (the Species), and a situation (the Planet) and all you have to do is use all three to whip up an Obi/Qui based fic!

For example chose?Padawan Obi, Hutt and Naboo and you might end up with action story, a disco dancer and trip to lightsaber DIY classes. You just have to fit Obi and/or Qui in there somewhere!

What you have to do
    Post on the thread with the Jedi, Creature and Planet of your choice.

What we do
    We will PM you with the genre, character and situation you chanced to have chosen.

Be warned: Don?t be fooled by the choices, they may not be what they seem! 8-}

As always, this challenge is open ended and there are no restrictions on length!

Good luck everyone, and enjoy!

PSsst! If someone gets three things that is ridiculously disjointed and is frustrated to tears, we will swap it but remember, only one swap allowed! :D

PM any of us or post on the thread if you have any questions!

Jedi
    Padawan Obi
    Knight Obi
    General Obi
    Old Ben
    Padawan Qui
    Master Qui
    Rogue Qui
    Ghostie Qui

Species
    Hutt
    Nerf
    Wookie
    Mon Calmari
    Gungun
    Droid
    Jawa
    Ewok
    Twi?lek

Planets
    Coruscant
    Naboo
    Tatooine
    Dantooine
    Corellia
    Yavin
    Hoth
    Endor
    Bakura

2. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Sounds like great fun! :D I'm always up for a challenge.

I choose Padawan Qui, Twi'lek, and Bakura! Now I just hope I don't get anything too disturbing. :p

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This sounds entertaining and I'm always up for a good challenge! :D I choose Knight Obi, droid, and Coruscant

4. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    aha...our first victims...we mean writers! ;)

Your challenges shall be pmed to you shortly!

Also, you are allowed to chose any Jedi/Species/Planet - even if it's already been taken as we're sure no two challenges fics will be the same! [face_skull]

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This challenge is interesting, now I just got to figure out how I can get the three items to work together... *brainstorms*

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaaah, I really liked that scene in the ROTS novel where Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace were discussing sacrifice. It really showed the difference between how Anakin did things and how the Jedi, in general, were trained to act. It also showed how Anakin affected Obi-Wan.

I don't think that Qui-Gon would sacrifice Obi-Wan for a generic 'mission'. That would be like sacrificing him for the sake of duty. Not Qui-Gon at all.

But, if the situation were something like a choice between saving Qui-Gon and saving another life (or lives), Obi-Wan would have to choose the later. Partly, I think, becuase Qui-Gon would absolutely not tolerate seeing another person sacrificed to save him. He would expect Obi-Wan to save others first.

When Obi-Wan says that he would stop at nothing to save Anakin, I think that this is Anakin's influence on Obi-Wan, not Qui-Gon's.

Now, if Qui-Gon had been Anakin's master, he would have also expected Anakin choose to save others before him. Anakin would never have gotten that message; he would always be looking for a way to wiggle around it. Anakin would not have had anywhere near the same influence on Qui-Gon that he had on Obi-Wan.

7. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Now, if Qui-Gon had been Anakin's master, he would have also expected Anakin choose to save others before him. Anakin would never have gotten that message; he would always be looking for a way to wiggle around it. Anakin would not have had anywhere near the same influence on Qui-Gon that he had on Obi-Wan.

Wow, that's a really interesting statement. I think I agree, but I can't quite figure out why. Maybe simply because Qui-Gon would have been older, more used to training Padawans. Anakin would only be the most talented one out of many. Whereas for Obi-Wan, Anakin was his first Padawan, his first teaching experience, and there was the whole promising Qui-Gon element, as well as the friendship and the student/teacher connection. [face_thinking]

I don't think that Qui-Gon would sacrifice Obi-Wan for a generic 'mission'. That would be like sacrificing him for the sake of duty. Not Qui-Gon at all.

Also a very good point. I think when I said 'mission' earlier I really meant something along the lines of 'a lot of other people' or some such, but I'm not quite sure. And I don't know what anyone else meant (which just goes to show that figuring out the exact definitions in your mind of the words you use is important all over again! :D)

8. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    3 Quick Questions: how old was Obi Wan when he built his first lightsabre? How many did he own before he lost the last one on Naboo and picked up Qui Gon's? Am I right to think that he didn't build another one again but kept his master's weapon for the rest of his life?

Sorry for the derail and thanks!

9. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Well, I'm not sure about the first two questions, but he has to have built a new one, because Qui-Gon's lightsaber had a green blade, and Obi-Wan's has a blue one in Episodes II and Three :).

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I know I'll probably shoot myself for doing this, but give me:

Ghostie Qui
    Wookiee
    Bakura

Please...be merciful. [face_praying]

11. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    I do hope that I have a clue about what I?m doing now but I can?t help it, I chose:

General Obi
    Ewok
    Hoth

12. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    challenge requests have been recieved, but JL is a dingbat and managed to delete her copy of the rest of the challenge stuff. :rolleyes:

i'll get it to you guys as soon as Stella or Kes get it to me. [face_blush]

13. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    *spies challenge* Someone please stop me from doing this... *glances around when no one does* Hmm, well, I was never one to say no to a challenge. :p

I choose... Padawan Obi, Nerf (because it sounds cool), and Dantooine.

[face_worried] What have I just gotten myself into? Kestella, is there a time limit on this? I'm afraid school might slow me down.

3 Quick Questions: how old was Obi Wan when he built his first lightsabre? How many did he own before he lost the last one on Naboo and picked up Qui Gon's? Am I right to think that he didn't build another one again but kept his master's weapon for the rest of his life?

These are just my opinions and I don't have any hard facts to really back them up, but here we go... I imagine Obi built his first lightsaber sometime in his early teens. It depends on if padawans build their lightsabers before or after they are taken as padawans, which I'm not really sure about. According to the JA books, he became a padawan at age thirteen, so maybe sometime around then? I would assume he owned only one lightsaber up until TPM, maybe two if circumstances beyond his control "took" the first one. He seemed pretty adament when telling Anakin that "this weapon is your life!" so I doubt he would go about losing them right and left, even as a padawan. ;) And as Sakura said, Qui's lightsaber was green, but Obi's saber in the original trilogy was blue, so he couldn't have been using it.

Just my thoughts. *shrugs* :)

14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    It's a little nebulous about Obi-Wan's lightsabers. There is a diconnect in the EU books about them because of material that was added in Ep II and III after the JA books were written.

In the first JA book, Obi-Wan is almost 13 and he has a fully functioning lightsaber when they almost send him to Agri-Corps. No explanation is given for when he got it, or when he built it. It was already established in Ep VI that Jedi built their own lightsabers, but that is never mentioned in the first, or any, of the JA books.

More detail emerges in the Clone Wars cartoons (and probably other places, but I don't know where) about when Jedi first built their lightsabers. In the JQ books, Obi-Wan takes Anakin (who has a half-power 'training' lightsaber at the time) to Ilum to build his first real lightsaber. No mention is made about what Qui-Gon does with Obi-Wan about his lightsaber building in the earlier JA books.

Obi-Wan has a different lightsaber in Ep II, so he must have built another. And he loses that on Genosis, so he must have built another after that. That rate of replacement makes me think that Jedi don't have to assemble their lightsabers on Ilum, it's just a traditional thing that they might do once or twice. There must be some place in that whacking big Temple of theirs that is cool enough for lightsaber assembly---Oooh that could be a good bunny; I'll have to put it with the others. Sorry, I can't do anything with the current challenge because I have to many other things that I'm writing on now!

So...

We don't know what age Obi-Wan was when he built his first saber, but around 13 is a good approximation for Jedi in general.

We don't know how many he built before Naboo.

No, Obi-Wan does not carry Qui-Gon's lightsaber. As far as we know, he only killed Maul with it.

15. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow some really great insights into Qui/Obi's relationship here. I've been lurking more than posting these days and that's some truly excellent food for thought. I just finished watching TPM again today for the first time in many months and I fell in love with Qui-Gon all over again and my love for the character and the series in general has been rekindled. That being said, I think maybe my muse might just cooperate so I'll bite for this challenge :p I reserve the right to change my mind if it refuses :p

Padawan Qui-Gon
    Droid
    Bakura

16. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Good to see so many ppl signing up for the challenge!

Pm me or one of the other ladies if you have any questions.

And there's no time limit you'll be glad to hear....some of you have got some really tough ones! ;)

Kes

17. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Kes, I think I want to change my planet to Naboo, but I'll keep the rest of what you sent. I haven't read anything about Bakura in so long and I'd like to get this done some time this year with that horrible prompt you gave me. I can keep it just need to swap the planet :p

18. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    rofl...I pmed you Layren...

If anyone else wants to swap something let me know!

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Grrrr, I'm hoping something bites. Last challenge I tied nothing, did but I'm always hopeful.

Padawan Obi
    Nerf
    Coruscant

20. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    So the challenge response has to include the character, creature, and planet we chose in addition to the three plot elements those correspond with? Didn't know that. :oops: I think I created a doozie for myself, but I'll give it a whirl. This is my chance to get...creative. 8-}

First order of business...what are nerfs and where is Dantooine? *scurries off to do some research*

21. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Never fear Nienna - it doesn't! You can chose to use those as well if you wish, but it's up to you...The only things you MUST use are the three things I've sent you in the pm (genre, character and situation)...plus of course Obi and/or Qui need to be thrown in there somewhere...

Hope that clears things up! :D

22. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    *sigh of relief* Thanks, Kes! I thought I was a goner. :p I might still try it though. It's been a while since I've written a truly crazy story.

23. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Either way, research is what CUSWE and/or Wookiepedia is for :cool:. If you really want to know, nerfs are mean, bad-tempered herd animals that stink and are eaten for their meat (think cows crossed with goats) and Dantooine is a grassland planet where a long time ago there used to be a Jedi training center, and then a rebel base that was evacuated right before A New Hope. (Sakura is a Star Wars nerd and likes to show off :p)

24. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    [face_laugh] This is great! I'm so glad everyone is so receptive to this challenge- we're in for a lot of head banging and good reading! :) My compy isn't allowing me onboard so here i am, sneaking in from school, but don't worry, kes keeps me up on all the latest on our victims, er volunteers!

ok,now being a nice person that i am i'll come share your plight. It's been ages since i saw the list, or JL and kes scramble up the list, so i promise no peeking, give me general obi, corellia and Mon Calmari

*sigh* i know i'm going to regret that!

25. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Oh boy, my muse is probably going to run of screaming but I simply can't refuse a tempting Obi challenge :D

My choices: Knight Obi, Jawa, Tatooine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.