main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Some, not all, of the Unknown Regions, I would hazard. As Luke seems to be hiding in the Unknown Regions. Probably no further south than Csilla, but see we will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Caliban and JediBatman like this.
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

Precisely what I want as well. Sadly it looks like it isn't what Lucasfilm wants.

Let's have the FO have better and bigger ships, more elite soldiers and more organised leadership, but the NR has the numbers and production capabilities. But its disorganised and in chaos after the loss of Hosnian Prime, so the FO will be able to take large parts of the NR quickly before the NR gets its poodu together.

I would also like the FO to win at the end of IX so we have symmetry with the PT, but that's just wishful thinking. At this point, I would be happy if the FO doesn't end up completely destroyed by the end of IX.

The EU had lots of problems, but what they did right was the realistic portrayal of what would happen if a highly centralised and militarist tyrannical Galactic Empire would suddenly loose its leadership. The galaxy would be in chaos and state of constant warfare for years.

SpecForce Trooper and AusStig like this.
  3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011

I feel like the scenario would have most likely played out that way in new Canon (and to some small level it did up to a certain point with warlord after warlord trying to carve out a piece of the Empire for themselves) had Rax not been there to reign in and control that chaos a little bit...and I'm sure even he followed a map that his surrogate father wrote for him regarding how and when to tighten his grip.

Regardless of the Concordance, I fully expect for future writers to write about a few stray remnant forces post-Jakku who don't give up the fight. It's bound to happen.

Sinrebirth and MrDarth0 like this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm hoping the First Order has a long shelf life and we finally get to explore it post-Episode 9.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Given how much they've taken from the Expanded Universe, I literally think the easiest way to view it is:

Public First Order: Imperial Remnant

True First Order: Hand of Thrawn

Honestly, I'm kind of upset they started to use RL history for a focus then swerved off it. I liked the idea of the First Order literally being Star Wars Nazis. The idea they were created from an unpopular punitive treaty, hostile charismatic leader, and extremist reactionaries. Star Wars wouldn't be glorifying Nazis that way but exposing them as the nasty little peopl ethey were. It would have also given the New Republic some good ideas. However, we also could have shown the process of De-Imperialification that would have left them removed as part of the greater galaxy as a whole.

One thing I liked was @GrandAdmiralJello's description of how being an ex-Imperial was instant political and social suicide. I like how Disney is not making the mistake of portraying the Empire as something people liked or had any illusions about. No, it's closer to RL where most military juntas are hated by anyone who wasn't part of them. Except, WORSE, because it's the EVIL Empire.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  6. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

It reminds me of Germany after WW2. After the capitulation, there were suddenly no Nazis. Even people who were fanatical supporters of the regime just few days ago were suddenly all staunch anti-Nazis and victims of Hitler's tyranny. Similar thing happened in the former communist countries in Europe. The communist parties had millions of members, yet after the fall of communism, suddenly there were no more commies.

Funny thing (in an ironic sad way) is that many people who were Nazis/fascist during WW2 became communist after the war. It shows you that some people just have a need to be part of something larger and have the feeling of being "important", and they don't care about ideology or what they're really supporting.

In a GFFA this could be interpreted as people who supported the Empire, switched sides to the New Republic after Endor/Jakku, and when the First Order came around, they again switched allegiances.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'd prefer it end up in the dust bin of history. Where all fascists belong. ;)

--Adm. Nick

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    And yet Legends ended with the Empress of the First Order equivalent ruling the galaxy.

:p

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The First Order is the Dark Empire if it setup shop in the Unknown Regions rather than Deep Core, and dug up Abeloth and made her boss in time to corrupt Jacen Solo so he could slaughter the next generation of the NJO.

Quite fun really. It's consolidated everything about Legends into the same time period and allowed us more than two years before THE NEXT BIG CRISIS devastates the hard fought but apparently shoddily protected peace.

That being said, the New Republic did have 11 ABY to 25 ABY dealing with relatively minor Imperial threats so it's comparable-ish anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015

This is the second comment I've seen suggesting that the Sequel Trilogy end on a dour note out of a sense of "symmetry", and this line of thinking completely baffles me. Sure Star Wars is a cash cow, so more movies after IX at some point in the future seems inevitable. But being so confident that you're going to make a 4th trilogy that you're willing to end the current trilogy with the bad guys winning? That's some real cart-before-the-horse thinking that speaks of towering arrogance. Terminator Genisys and Fan4stic were made with that "We'll explain the plot holes/include all the fun stuff in the inevitable sequel" mindset, and it bit them in the butt. It would piss off fans who waited 30 years to see a Star Wars sequel on the big screen to tell them "Sorry, you're going to have to wait ANOTHER nebulous period of time to see what happens next."

"Chronologically, every other Star Wars trilogy should have a downer ending" doesn't strike me as "symmetry", it seems like an arbitrary "Every odd numbered Star Trek movie sucks" type rule, and I don't think the filmakers should base their decisions around that.

11. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

I waited 30 years to see a post-ROTJ sequel trilogy and it wouldn't piss me off in the slightest if the FO survived as the main baddie for the next trilogy.

Having the FO around for the post-sequel trilogy would mean Lucasfilm wouldn't have to come up with another big evil organisation, it would surprise audiences and I would very much prefer for IX to end on a partial cliffhanger for the next trilogy similar to ROTS.

The theme of the ST would be about passing down the baton to the next generation, about Rey and Ben, and hopefully about restarting the Jedi Order again. While the actual destruction of the FO would be for the next trilogy.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What JB is getting at is that other series have tried this but it backfired on them with audiences disliking the move, to such a degree that those films killed their entire series for the foreseeable future.

Now it could be argued SW works differently, that you can make any film, slap a SW title on it and it'll be a financial success regardless.

Even so, assuming there'll be a sufficient audience for a big series of films will always be a risky undertaking.

MandaloreRex2015 and JediBatman like this.
  13. JediBatman

May 3, 2015

The First Order winning at the end of the trilogy, and the First Order surviving the end of the trilogy are two very different things. Can I see the first option happening? No way in Malachor. Can I see the second option happening? Absolutely. Star Wars has done that kind of thing before. "We blew up the Death Star and Tarkin, but Vader and the Empire are still out there." "We saved Naboo from the Trade Federation, but there's another Sith still out there." ect. They could do something similar: wrap up the main plot without any major cliffhangers, but still leave the ending open for possible future stories. Something like "It's been a few years since the FO was defeated, but a new villain is organizing all the remnants to once again threaten the galaxy!". There have been Separatist holdouts and Imperial holdouts, when they eventually tell some stories post ST I have no doubt there will be FO holdouts.

Jedi Ben and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Can we talk about the fact that there's a SSD just hanging out somewhere with an entire pirate civilization on-board?

Like, that's a thing that could do something maybe.

BigAl6ft6, Jedi Ben, MrDarth0 and 5 others like this.
  15. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I think it depends on if they intend to make more saga films after IX. If they planned to go on and on, I could definitely see the ST ending with a First Order victory. That would definitely make people want to see more Star Wars Saga films to see how everything is resolved and it will be great drama, like Empire did, for the bad guys to win.

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Or how the OT ended with DARTH VADER saving the galaxy. The creators must have been child-murderer apologists.

Ghost likes this.
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I've said it before, but the Latitudes sound like they've got to be the center of some fascinating conflict over the SSD. It's too good of a story concept to pass up; kriffin' space pirates with a mobile base of operations ruling a kriffin' section of the known Galaxy. I don't care if it's a Great Pirate Hunt, a Great Reform, or just the Wild Wild West in space. It's going to be good.

18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'd kill to see it visually. An Imperial interior retrofitted for pirates. Sounds awesome. Jabbas Palace meets the Death Star.

Gamiel, AusStig, KamNale and 6 others like this.
  19. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    If there is one place built for a MMO. . .

JediBatman and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  20. JediBatman

May 3, 2015

That's the middle of a trilogy though, having a downer ending/cliffhanger for the end of a trilogy is a lot riskier, for the reasons I said above.

Outsourced Pirate Nation in control of a Super Star Destroyer? Where have I heard that before . . .

[​IMG]

21. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Leaked Audiofiles from Battlefront 2 refers to Snoke as
    Lord Snoke and one of the owners of StarWarsNewsNet (Pomojema) said that presumably Snoke held this title before becoming the Supreme Leader. Which could mean that the Supreme Leader mentioned when Brendol gets rescued could've been Rae Sloane.

22. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    And this plays into what I think would happen after the fall of the Empire...not one big New Republic but dozens to hundreds of independent planets, systems, etc...as their own polities. Seeing what the Latitudes develops into would be interesting. Do they capture other ships? Do they establish planetary colonies to produce necessities or even just for R&R??

MrDarth0 likes this.
  23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Will the Resistance still be the Resistance post-TFA? I imagine the NR would fully embrace them after Hosnian Prime.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    If there's no Isard in the NEU, that wouldn't be a retcon.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

25. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    He was mentioned in Tarkin. I just can't imagine such a Legends staple name staying around.