main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

What if he is in TLJ, the guy played by benicio del toro (the owner of the gambling planet) and the heroes have to get him onside

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It does. On Coruscant. That's the only legitimate Imperial Remnant we know of.

But it's not collapsed by the FO, but rather, absorbed into the NR.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Do you think it's the FO's official capital?

*gives Jello a heart attack*

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm pretty sure this is official information (on the FO's capital), but to be careful

I'm pretty sure Rian or Pablo or someone said that the capital of the First Order was a mobile command ship

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Boo!

Boring!

Then again, they should have blown up Coruscant in TFA.

Gamiel and AusStig like this.
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I would have cried in that scene if it was Coruscant and not Hosnian Prime.

PCCViking and Charlemagne19 like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

I feel like we'd have heard that by now if it were.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  8. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Let's have a state made of the old Hutt slave species -- Niktos, Klatooinians, etc.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Also, in the real world you had the Zheng family who went from a bunch of pirates to the rulers of a de-facto independent Taiwan (and actually came surprisingly close to overthrowing the Qing*), and the Red Flag armada, a pirate force that had hundreds of ships and thousands of pirates, a strict hierarchy with strict rules, tax offices incredible wealth, and the military power to take on the Qing and various European powers in the area, on land as well as sea. The wokou were much the same, if earlier.

So yeah, don't underestimate the ability of pirates to create large, powerful, and well organized force.

...Though, I thought the Tagge family were descended from core founders?

*Another interesting thing about them is that they portrayed themselves as Ming loyalists - and might actually have been genuine Ming loyalists - so it would be interesting to see a bunch of pirates in Star Wars pass themselves off as imperial loyalists trying aiming at restoration of the empire.I wonder how long it will be before Jello chimes in by saying this is exactly what the First Order is.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Latitudes seem to be trying to legitimize themselves as New Republic loyal privateers.

Which, actually, was something the Rebel Alliance used a great deal.

They used many letters of marque in Legends if you were a WEG fan.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Marque. A marquee is something very different :p

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Curse you technically correct and thus missed by spellcheck!

13. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Though one could be a marquee with a marque.

14. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    A marquis in a marquee with marque?

15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Yes.

That is what I meant.

[face_blush]

16. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I agree, I'd like to see this more. I know the FFG RPGs aren't canon, but I was paging through Lords of Nal Hutta, where it described all the worlds in the Hutt thrall and all the hidden Hutt throne-worlds. And it really impressed on me just how powerful the Hutts were, so powerful I wondered how they'd lost so much of it by the time of Bloodline.

Now Leia's explanation that the Hutts fell to infighting after Jabba died didn't hold much water for me. After all Hutts fight and scheme against each other all the time, and its not like Jabba was the Hutt Emperor. But I did like Leia's other explanation about slave species such as Nikto rising up against them. Since thousands of oppressed planets had just successfully overthrown the Empire, it just makes sense that these long suffering species would decide "Hey, we can do that too!". Plus there's those other criminal factions you mentioned.

What I'd really like to see though, is a story where an Imperial Warlord, or a rogue New Republic element, or both, launch an attack on the Hutt throne-worlds to hit them were it hurts: their wallets.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003

I'd love that, actually. In fact, I pretty much want it to happen like right now. Sure, some Hutt slaves might join the New Republic, but a separate state that is composed of those species would be epic.

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Jabba thing feels like movie centrism to me -- we see Jabba and therefore Jabba is the most powerful Hutt. I preferred it when he was just one of many gangsters.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU portrayed Jabba as a "big fish" from fairly early on (Heir to the Empire) - and TCW had the whole "space lanes" thing with Jabba's son being held hostage, and the Separatists and Republic both wanting access to the spacelanes that Jabba controls.

Maul's Shadow Collective was able to coerce the Hutts into allying with them - but Jabba was the last, most powerful holdout.

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Jabba is certainly powerful, and in many works he's basically to crime lords what Han is to smugglers or Boba is to bounty hunters: a legend. I don't want him demoted to just a local crime boss, but I don't see the need to make him THE most powerful Hutt on which all other Hutts depend either.

A while back Pablo Hidalgo posted on Twitter some sections of the writing guides for the old WEG books. IIRC one of the bits of advice was something like "Don't say something is 'the best' or 'biggest' or 'most famous' thing in the galaxy because someone will later make a better one. Just say its 'one of the best' or 'one of the biggest'." That's what the whole Jabba situation makes me think of.

Gamiel, AusStig and Iron_lord like this.
  21. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I do agree with many of sentiments here about just assuming that because he was in the movie that Jabba was the biggest crime lord around* (though in all fairness, he clearly had enough galactic reach to pressure Han no matter where Han went), but I also really like the idea of the Hutt slave species overthrowing the Hutts - and personally felt a little frustrated about their status as eternal karma huodinis in Legends.

So I think I will imagine that Jabba's death was just one spark on a pile of gunpowder that had been building up for a long time, and it was the general feeling of hope as the empire fell that was more important for the slave uprisings, taking advantage of the usual round of infighting that happens every so often in the Hutt Cartel.

*Though frankly it could also be a bit inconsistent about this. Sometimes he was a power to rival the empire and rebellion, competing with Black Sun and other galaxy spanning criminal empire, and sometimes his deadly rivals were other gangsters in a town next door, or the local imperial sheriff or band of Tuskens.

22. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Honestly, I would like for the Hutt Empire to be on the verge of collapse. It's always been this static, constant presence, so would be cool to see the results of it falling down. FOTJ intended to have it and other crime organisations start losing influence, but we never saw the results of it other than Hutts having slightly less territory by Legacy.

JediBatman and CaptainPeabody like this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I always felt that Jabba's inconsistency was actually proper for a "real" criminal syndicate. Jabba has power but only as the 1st Among Equals among the Hutts. He's theoretically their Chairman but can barely depend on their support if at all.

Likewise, his control over even his home territory was shaky.

This is in contrast to Black Sun, which is SPECTER from James Bond and acts like its own nation-state/corporation.

24. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Jabba should be like a slug Coerleone, and we all saw what happened to them...

PCCViking likes this.
  25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Wasn't there another Hutt in TCW whose appearance was based on that guy?