main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I have read the Han Solo Trilogy and the fleet that sent to Hutt Space consists of a trio of outdated Dreadnaughts. Not a single Star Destroyer among them. And even then, the only reason the Imperials retreat is because the Hutts bribed the Admiral in command.

A real New Republic battle fleet with dozens of Mon Calamari battlecruisers would smash any pirate or smuggler craft in-system and lock down Nal Hutta tighter than a smuggler's profit box.

In Legends, the New Republic had five full fleets. Dispatch one of them to Hutt Space for a limited deployment. As for hiding, the objective is to destroy the Hutt's hegemony and free their slaves. Once the campaign is over, the entire sector would be admitted into the Republic and the freed slaves would be assisted in setting up new governments.

As for moral outrage, the entire Rebellion was founded on moral outrage at the Empire's crimes. The Hutts are no better than the Empire and if the New Republic is truly better than its predecessor, it won't allow such evil to proliferate in the Galaxy.

2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

It was a combination of that and actully getting beaten.

The NR has commanders who can be bribed too, or threatened or just coerced.

Ok, so where does the NR pull these ships from, which front do they leave undermaned?

So the Fleet will lock down the smugglers moon? For how long, even the Trade Federation didn't keep it's blockade of Naboo up after the invasion ( and you will have to invade if you want to get the Hutts and that will be a muck fight)

For how long would the NR assist? How much money, and people will they spend once the war is over? As a doco I saw about the post civil war US once said 'The North won the civil war.... but the south won the reconstrucion' What I mean is how do you stop these new governments from being taken over by the Hutts and their associates, since they would have all the administration skills.

Ok and now the New Republic is the New Empire, invading worlds just cause they don't approve, where will they stop? Are Wookie Life-debts slavery? Don't say that it is different it is very similar to the treaty the Hutta have with their slaves.

Also in Legends the NR dragged it's feet on genocide happening in the core (BFC) so I think a war with the Hutts (who are not committing mass slaughter or threatening the peace of the galaxy) would be a hard sell.

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually they did the opposite. As soon as the NR found out about the Yevethan atrocities they mustered several battle fleets and sent them straight to Koornacht to stop the brutal Yevetha. It took mere days to deploy those forces.

And the Battle of Nar Shadda was a joke. The smugglers threw everything they had against a feeble Imperial Armada. If Death Squadron had been there, the battle would have been over in minutes. Admiral Greelanx didn't have a single Star Destroyer in his fleet.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Also, I should remind you, the Hutts DIDN'T fight at Nar Shadda.

They decided the Smuggler's Moon was worth letting the Empire destroy.

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Can we just agree that the legal status of Hutt Space in Legends is a void that was never corrected.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia did have to face a lot of opposition in the Senate though - and we see Luke listening to a conversation between a couple of NR citizens in which one says to the other "If Leia declares war on the Yevetha she ought to be charged with treason".

Emperor Ferus and AusStig like this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Greelanx threw the fight at Nar Shadda. One...he took the bribe to sell them their battle plan. Two...he received orders on a secure channel to let the Hutts/Smugglers win the fight. He had 3 Drreadnoughts, 4 bulk cruisers and several support ships. If he has not sold out the plan and threw the fight due to orders the Imperials would have won.

Vialco likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A point is made of how, at least initially, Greelanx forgot his orders to throw the fight - it's not till some way in, that he remembers.

Emperor Ferus and Vialco like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The nerve.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I mentioned my distaste for the handling of the Yevetha elsehwere, basically thinking they resembled a lot of Islamophobe stereotypes. Here, it seems the liberal media has a problem with invading so they're clearly awful! This is actually why I prefer the Empire to the Yuuzhan Vong. The former is a group of humans which is clearly, on some level, like us. The Vong, by contrast, were designed almost entirely of negative stereotypes so when they tried to redeem them--it felt weird.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    you make it sound like bribing the enemy is not the standard tactic for hutts.

AusStig, Charlemagne19 and Vialco like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Seemed to be less "liberal media" and more "citizenry" in that example (only one citizen on a very libertarian very "selfishness-exalted" planet at that - the Free Trader world of Atzerri.

Emperor Ferus and Charlemagne19 like this.
  13. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    IMO, the Hutts' territories and influence should've been greatly reduced following the Yuuzhan Vong War. Surely some slave species would've looked for protection under the Remnant or GA in order to avoid being enslaved again. So either the GA threw them under the bus, or it looks like a lot of people WANT to be slaves to the Hutts which doesn't really make sense except in certain occasions.

Charlemagne19 and PCCViking like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm confused at the fact you think people would turn to people who let whole swathes of their citizenry be enslaved or annihilated versus a part of the galaxy left largely untouched. Then again, we keep coming back to the fact the majority of people living on Hutt worlds aren't slaves. They're people like Watto, not Shimi. We've been to Nar Shadda literally hundreds of times in the Legends EU and while slaves are THERE, they're not anywhere close to the majority.

The Hutts are Greek and Persian slavers, not Confederate or even late Roman.

Also, did the Remnant ever give up slavery? I mean, I assume they did under Jaina and Jagged but Pellaeon is a former Wookiee slaver himself.

I will say I really did want to see how the whole "mass slave uprising" thing played out in Fate of the Jedi and was much more interested in that and Vestara/Ben than....anything else in those books.

Also, it seems that in canon they ARE going with slaves having revolted against the Hutts.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also the possibility that some, if not many, of the slaves don't want to abolish slavery, they most likely want to be free but they also want to be free to own slaves themselves

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    According to Wookieepedia, they did (at least openly - some people might have kept illegal slaves):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gilad_Pellaeon

Thanks to the support of Baron Ragez D'Asta,[43] the Moffs unanimously recognized Pellaeon as the Supreme Commander of the Imperial Fleet.[41] Pellaeon retained command of the military and was party to the Moffs' decision-making process. He was technically subordinate to them, but his legal control over the military and personal popularity among the military and citizens gave him significant leverage over the Council of Moffs.[11] Pellaeon also abolished slavery and took significant steps against anti-alien bias in the new regime; he wished to remove some of the Palpatinist excesses of the old Empire.[7][11] The new state came to be known as the Imperial Remnant.[32]

Emperor Ferus and Charlemagne19 like this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Ferengi way!

[​IMG]

But seriously, I do think the biggest issue with the Hutts is they've done their best to insulate themselves in the culture of whoever they take over. I don't even think they're necessarily employing that many slave-slaves (ala Anakin and Shmi) but hide behind layers of euphemism and lies. Remember that Han Solo's second trilogy had him working on a world powered by slavery but they kept that hidden behind the veneer of a cult. Oola got trapped in the very modern world "acting contract" method of white/Twilek slavery mold according to Tales from Jabba's Palace.

I think the Republic clearing out the Hutts would probably be best done economically and slowly bring them down by destroying the cartel's assets versus a war of liberation.

But again, I think a slave uprising fostered by either the Resistance (Leia the Huttslayer!) or the First Order under a plan to train their troops on live targets would be awesome.

AusStig, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Guys, let's keep the discussion focused on the new canon. Drawing comparisons/parallels to Legends is great, but let's all stay on target. ;)

Anyone interested in working on a definitive timeline for all the engagements between Endor and Jakku? I want to construct the narrative of the NR's war against the Empire, I'm thinking we could group source on the battles. I'm contemplating doing a article on it for ETE, so who is interested in helping?

--Adm. Nick

19. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Just noticed Bloodline adds a new Core World -- Harloff Minor.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Random aside, is anyone else intrigued by the Grand Moff who led the armada at Jakku? What happened to that guy? War crimes trial?

Is the reason why Ciena Ree is being put on charges because she was part of Gallius Rax's Rump Empire?

Is recognizing Mas Amedda's Empire as the "real" Empire going to cause all those Imperials there to be considered traitors and war criminals?

Because a Grand Moff has a fairly good title to being Emperor by itself.

Edit:

Whoops, Randd actually escaped to the First Order. That's unexpected.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by Empire's End, all captured Imperials from the Battle of Jakku are facing charges.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If Rax's Empire is declared an illegitimate one, it would explain a lot.

Albeit, if they ever write Lost Stars, I totally see Nash leading some Stormtrooper Tykes to rescue her, much to her horror.

23. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Hutt Space suffered under the Yuuzhan Vong all the same. They were invaded and occupied. What I'm saying is, post-war why would they go back under the Hutts instead of forming their own states and if remains of Hutts come knocking, ask the GA or Remnant for protection (not to be confused with membership)?

Why not both?​

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Check out my article over on Eleven-ThirtyEight if you're interested in my list of NR members:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2017/...raphic-look-post-galactic-concordance-galaxy/

My current list of 56 members is as follows:

Core Worlds
    Alderaan
    Chandrila
    Corellia
    Coruscant
    Ganthel
    Harloff Minor
    Hosnian Prime
    Kuat
    Velusia

Colonies
    Abednedo
    Commenor
    Devaron

Inner Rim
    Birren
    Cona
    Riosa

Mid Rim
    Ando
    Bothawui
    Contruum
    Ithor
    Kashyyyk
    Malastare
    Naalol
    Naboo
    Nakadia
    Orinda
    Ottega
    Roche
    Tarsunt
    Uyter

Outer Rim
    Akiva
    Anthan Spire
    Arkanis
    Askaj
    Bespin
    Comra
    Daxam IV
    Jelucan
    Mon Cala
    Nag Ubdur
    Pamarthe
    Quermia
    Rodia
    Sullust
    Taris
    Vashka
    Yavin IV

Unknown Placement
    Ashaftan (species)
    Candovant
    Frong
    Gatalenta
    Hevurion
    Lonera
    Mirrin Prime
    Orish
    Torphlus
    Ubardia

--Adm. Nick

25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I like to go with the idea that even "legitimate" Imperials who served the fleet elements attached to the Death Star And Death Sqaudron being held for processing just because you don't know who all was involved with war crimes. Since Cienna was birth that and a part of the Rax Empire, she's going to be thoroughly investigated.

The thing I keep wondering about is what it's like for Grand General Lorring's forces on Malastre; we don't know if they were a rump state like Rax's, nominally subservient to Coruscant while ignoring any requests for help, or if they were genuine loyalist forces that got stuck in a siege until Amedda officially surrendered. I can't help but think it would be interesting to play him as Rax's opposite, maybe even so far as to have him reject and attack elements of Operation Cinder.