main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    That's a good historical example. A more modern example of reduction of military force would be the US military after World War II. It went from about 12 million men and women to 1.5 million men and women by the Korean War. A little less than a 90% reduction. So Mon Mothma's decision is definitely not out of the ordinary.

We also don't know how regulated these planetary militias will be. If they are like the militias during the U.S. colonial period, I would be worried about problems with their organization and training. Each planet might use different weapons and ships, which would make supplying them much more difficult. However, if they are run and organized like the modern U.S. National Guard, with mostly standardized equipment and training, it would be much easier to incorporate them into the regular military in the event of a crisis.

As for how quickly the empire seems to be falling, look at how fast Alexander's empire collapsed into squabbling factions when he died. Palpatine and Vader's death seems to have struck a similar blow.

2. DarthSienna

DarthSienna Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2011
    Well, the GCW didn't end in Legends until 15 years after Endor, promptly followed by a short-lived Imperial resurgence (Second Imperium) 3-4 years later, followed shortly afterwards by a galaxy devestating war with extragalactic aliens, followed by the Second Galactic Civil War, followed by whatever you want to call the BS with the Lost Sith and Abeloth. So only about 40 years after Endor did the galaxy finally get to a point of long-term peace... shattered 80 years later by the Sith-Imperial War.

MandaloreRex2015 and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, seriously, anybody who says there was a significant amount of time with peace during the EU is just kidding themselves. There may have been a year or two or five of peace interspersed between conflicts, but there always was some conflict to interrupt that. Whether EU or canon, there's no really significant period of peace in the 30 years after Endor. The longest span would've been the five years between NJO and DNT, but those years were full of trying to rebuild the galaxy from the absolute mess that the Vong left it in, so those years weren't even all that great.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Again, I liked that Palpatine's end disrupted any unity the Galaxy had. After Legacy, I'd envision the Galaxy fully dividing itself into regional governments (Fel Empire over in the New Territories, Hapes in the Hapan Cluster, Hutt Empire in their natural space, a continued GA in loyalist worlds like MonCal, Chandrila, Naboo etc) with the Triumvirate becoming something along the lines of a true galactic UN, which only exists on paper but doesn't really do anything.

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Plus, the saga has the word War in it.

DarthSienna likes this.
  6. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    With the treaty after Jakku, is it possible that we will get a "cold war" between the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic? One where there is no large intergalactic war, but smaller proxy conflicts in contested worlds and sectors. That might be an interesting scenario.

7. DarthSienna

DarthSienna Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2011
    Anyways, I'm really curious about a contradiction I saw between Aftermath and Lost Stars regarding captured Star Destroyers.
    In Aftermath, Leia's holo-message says that the New Republic has captured Imperial Destroyers, but 6 moths later in Lost Stars, Thane seems pretty convinced that boarding and capturing a Star Destroyer is nigh impossible. How to reconcile the two? Is Thane Kyrell simply unaware of successful captures of Star Destroyers? Is Leia's message simply Rebel propaganda? Or are the captured Destroyers from major defections, like the negotiations with Moffs and Governors mentioned in Aftermath?
    Hmmm...

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  8. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    After the Imperial remnants are defeated it makes sense to demilitarize the Republic to prevent use the of military to force submission to the government as happened during the Clone Wars and under the Empire. A small militia would be sufficient to maintain peace and provide protection after the threat of the Empire is no more. It does however make the New Republic vulnerable to threats unknown to them.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd be on board with this. That was one of the most interesting things about TOR's (otherwise somewhat uninspired) galactic setup.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  10. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I'm thinking the Imperial fleet gathering at the end of Lost Stars will attack Chandrila once the military reduction goes into effect, with the intent of taking out the NR government. They succeed, but the battle ends with 99% of the Imperials wiped out, with those who remain going into hiding, while the NR falls apart with most of its leadership dead and their fleet broken. The local militaries protect their homeworlds, with some alliances between systems and sectors, but no real galactic government to speak of. The First Order and Resistance eventually rise out of what remains, each preparing to try to reassert themselves as a galactic government.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    War isn't the problem, the problem is this appears to be setting up another OT style conflict and the New Republic doesn't appear to last.

Abadacus likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    We don't know that, though. Maybe the New Republic is fine and dandy and just doesn't feel the need to bother with the First Order. Or they're funding the Resistance.

But Nick said to keep the discussion closer to ROTJ, not TFA, so we really need to keep the discussion there.

Vthuil and DarthSienna like this.
  13. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    It's pretty obvious, I agree. Like I've said many times, TFA will just be endless pandering to the OT. Even what's revealed so far makes it clear.

14. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Based on Moving Target I don't think it's probable.

In the prologue Leia is worried about all our war coming back to the galaxy. This means the Resistance isn't trying to reassert themselves (that would create war). Also, some form of anarchy indicates and equivalent state, one that is at least almost as equally violent and all out war. I'd also assule that if there was anarchy Leia would wamt to restore the NR (she dedocated her life to that), which would vwry likely involve war. The only purpose of the Resistance is to fight the First Order, which they have been doing since before TFA, so I doubt there is galactic anarchy. But the First Order hasn't reveled themselves to the galaxy. This means neither are major galactic powers. I think we will find that the NR is around and possibly supporting the Resistance.
    [\spoiler]

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I disagree completely. I think the trailers have been made to appeal to OT fans, but the story itself will be original, respecting the OT and even in a sense mirroring it, but not copying it.

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I see an OT rehash, but this isn't the thread for that.

Abadacus likes this.
  17. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Good points, but I've just got a nagging feeling that even if the NR is around for TFA, it won't have control over a good portion of the galaxy. Perhaps the Resistance opposes the FO in that region with funding form the NR.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But I don't think just wiping out the NR leadership would cripple it. It would be a terrible blow, but new politicians can be elected and new fleets can be built. Unlike Palpatine's empire, Mon Mothma is making a very conscious decision to not have such a centralized government in which simply chopping off the head would send it into the abyss. That seems to be what they're setting up in this time period, anyways.

(And if that was the case, it would mean the solution to the problems in the ST is just having the political will to form a Newer Republic, and hope the leadership isn't offed this time. A much more interesting scenario would be if the New Republic falls because of its own choices, entirely internal. That would explain why Leia or someone isn't simply fighting to create a Newer Republic in the ST, if we're right on the galaxy being in anarchy. They know it's good to resist the First Order, but they no longer know what to replace it with. And the ST can solve that issue.)

But yes, I really like how Mon Mothma is trying to claim legal continuation from the Empire and the Old Republic. As well as attempting to fix Old Republic flaws, like not all Senators being directly elected by their people. AdmiralNick22, do you know how Mon Mothma legally justified herself becoming the new leader? Were the Old Republic's Chancellor succession laws never officially repealed, and Mon Mothma had the support of a majority of the still-living last Senators (like Leia)?

19. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Sheev dissolved the Senate though, Mon Mothma and the rest of the Senators have no legal authority unless he came back to life and reinstated it. She might claim continuation but it's hardly the case. The Imperial High Command would have more legitimacy, such as Sate Pestage, because they were directly apart of the Imperial ruling class which is still around in some shape or form. Mon Mothma's claim leaves her as little more than an usurper and arguably puts the NR in a worse position than in the original EU, because them claiming it's an entirely 'new' government actually helped.

20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    I'm fairly sure the new senate elected Mon Mothma as Chancellor. There is a scene where a military officer congratulates her on becoming Chancellor, which makes no sense if she hadn't just been elected since she was addressed as Chancellor under the Rebellion as well.

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Anarchy undermines the meaning of the OT.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Abadacus like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So does the existence of the old EU, Sequel Trilogy, and new EU... if you only care about results and not simply see it as good but flawed heroes fighting the good fight in an ever-evolving struggle through times of both peace and war, order and chaos.

Toonimator and TheRedBlade like this.
  23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    It just seems like the Heroes of Yavin have failed, which makes it seem like the OT was for not, and it is now up to others to finish what they started.

Abadacus likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    See what I said above, because the exact same response works for it too.

Let's stay focused on the state of the galaxy...

Toonimator and TheRedBlade like this.
  25. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Two Death Stars destroyed, the Empire in ruins, the Emperor dead, and Darth Vader redeemed don't seem like failures to me. Rebuilding and dealing with the aftermath of that will probably take multiple generations, as it would in real life.