main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I expect the NR to control the galaxy but not play a large role in the films. The Resistance could be focusin on protecting the NR amd preventin them from being pulled into war. [\spoiler]

TheRedBlade likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It is definitely implied that the new Senate elects Mon Mothma as Chancellor. And apparently her first act is to restore the emergency powers back to the Galactic Senate as a whole. Considering that all senators were elected, that also means that Chandrila elected Mon Mothma to be it's representative in the new Senate.

If anything, Mon Mothma is bending over backwards to show how different she is from Palpatine and the New Republic is from the Old Republic.

--Adm. Nick

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The NJO doesn't make me feel like the OT was for naught, so I guess I just fundamentally disagree with the ST.

4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    That's interesting. If her first act was to restore emergency powers, that I mies that the NR senate took off where the OR senate left off. Almost as if the Empire never happened. I'd have expected her to start without those powers.

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I gotta admit I loved reading this thread. It looks The New Republic is definitely in the early stages and they definitely have plans to return peace to the galaxy. I like that senators are elected by the people just like in Rl.

6. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'd like to correct the original post in one respect: the book Aftermath specifies that Norra Wexley was so identified because she was going back to her married name, implying that at the events of stories prior to that point, she had been going by her maiden name. She would therefore have to be listed on the Endor roster as Norra Susser. At nitpick, to be sure; but then, aren't we ALL nitpickers?

By the way, I don't recall the book establishing what her pilot callsign was; anybody else?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I've added a note to the original post. Thanks for catching that, Pfluegermeister!

I'm hoping to pickup additional details on my second read through.

--Adm. Nick

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  8. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Norra was Gold Nine; she mentioned it during the end battle when identifying herself to NR forces.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's one of the touches I liked the most. It's an effort to show real continuity of government between the old and new Republics.

Gold Nine.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Er... that's probably my fault. :oops:

I was giving an example of providing information on the state of the Imperial forces in a single statement over in the Aftermath thread, and I referred to a hypothetical "Battle of Eriadu".

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Speaking of Norra, I think we are safe to assume that she is flying the Y-Wing in RotJ that (I believe) Salm flew in Legends? That is the only Y-Wing I see during the chase through the Death Star. I wonder what this does to the chances of Salm ever getting back into canon.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But how does she claim herself to be Palpatine's legitimate successor to the Republic/Empire, I guess is what I'm asking?

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It doesn't say, to be honest. The new Galactic Senate isn't said to be an explicit continuation of the old Senate, so it is possible she is just rectifying the changes made to the old Republic Constitution. Or that she is going out of her way to show people that the New Republic will symbolically hand the powers granted to Palpatine back to the Senate.

All of the NR government & military scenes are called "interludes" in the book between main chapters, so we don't always get tons of details. Though I'll give Wendig credit, he crafted quite a bit of information about the new government.

--Adm. Nick

14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    One of the things I'm a little disappointed by is that none of the NR military council members were the officers from Moving Target. Would have been cool to see Nantz or Veertag there instead of two new characters.

Otherwise, I love the setup of the NR. Really hope we see Olia Choko again.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The way I see it is we are setting up for a two way counter offensive by Imperial loyalists in the core and the outer rim. Coupled with Mothma's short sighted demilitarization of then New Republic.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I unfortunately don't have Lost Stars yet, so just for the sheevs, does the book put the Inflictor at Endor?

17. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Salm Gray Leader? Has Gray leader been identified in the new cannon?

18. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    He was, yeah.

On that note, has Rogue Squadron ceased to exist after Hoth? If Wedge is taking a break from being plain ol' Red Leader, it sounds like the Rogue callsign got retired. :(

Abadacus likes this.
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Which two new characters are you referring to? Either way, I don't think we need to overuse the same ones too much.

20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Very nice summary. As mentioned above, the New Republic sounds like it is maybe moving somewhere in the direction of the Legends Post-Ruusan Republic, or the early eras of the Republic where defense was mainly provided by the individual member worlds. I am always a fan of that, get to see more design variety and such. I hope we get a lot more on the state of the militaries of Empire and the New Republic in the forthcoming material. I am hoping for an awful lot of destruction, Imperial infighting, defecting, or being in hiding in order to get to where we are at the end of Aftermath.

The set up thus far for the New Republic sounds very Chandrillian indeed. If its anything like the Lengend universe, then everyone should get sick of that pretty quick ;) Definitely interested to see where is goes from here. Hope we get some good lore books coming our way soon.

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Also, how did they even cobble together a new galactic Senate so quickly? That would be a gargantuan (if not impossible) task, which I did not get a sense of at all.

If she was elected, my guess is that it was by the rebellion hierarchy.

In any case, it does also seem she is seeing her role as a legitimate and legal continuation of the Old Republic. She is the next Republic Chancellor after Palpatine. And she is working within the legal framework of that governing body.

I listened to the audio, so I don't have the text to look back on. I'd be interested in reviewing that scene, if someone cares to post it.

22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Captain Saff Melor and Commander Kyrsta Agate. And I don't think it would be overusing them, since it would have brought any of those officers from Moving Target up to a total of two appearances in the NEU. It also seems rather odd to have a commander and a captain on the council instead of a admiral and a general.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I would have thought 10 years max with no Thrawn or Clone Empire.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  25. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    I reckon that you are right. IIRC the interludes show the lead up the first session of the newly formed senate. It would have been impossible for the senate to elect Mothma considering she is already in office at that time. It seems likely she was either appointed or informally elected by Alliance officials or systems that had pledged themselves to the Alliance following Endor.

I am also interested to see what the New Republic does with systems that defer inclusion into the New Republic after their liberation from the Empire. I am sure that some systems, especially former Confederate systems, would be happy to operate independent from a universal government. Obviously forcing them to join contradicts the democracy New Republic trying to restore.