main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've been holding off the TFA comic for now, but *that* might get me to get an issue.

But yeah it's a long shot that we'll get any good pre-explodey art.... but fingers crossed!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh gosh I forgot that we could be getting that scene in this. I will need to pick up this issue! Maybe everything onwards too as I've not at all so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I find it disappointing that the TFA comic adaptation doesn't actually expand on anything. That's normally something I expect from an adaptation, a "capital gain" if you like.

BTW, I only noticed yesterday that the TFA Visual Dictionary contains a rather dark (I mean nocturnal) picture of Republic City. Just a hedge and an urn, basically. But it makes me wonder: does this come from a deleted scene?
    [​IMG]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    All I see is a black x

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What about now?

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No I see it.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It might -- now that we know the 3D version has more deleted scenes.

It always confused me that they gave us *that* picture for Republic City. I mean, it's like having a picture of Tatooine as an empty glass of blue milk.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Marc Laming, the artist for the series, confirmed we won't see the Hosnian Prime scene until the fourth issue, FYI.

--Adm. Nick

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well. Guess I'm a lot less excited about tomorrow, then!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, what happened to Ross who started the series?

11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Considering, that we - and also the artists - don't know how the ships of the NRDF in the TFA-era look (we will hopefully find out with Episode VIII) I don't expect more detailed pictures within the comic-adaption. Imagine the confusion and the need for retcons, if the artist draws ships, that will be totally different from those in Episode VIII.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Otherwise known as Dark Empire, which took decades to completely detail?

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Has the TFA comic adaptation added anything much? Like deleted scenes? Particularly Leia and Korr Sella? When these adaptations were published alongside the movie, sometimes its interesting to see what earlier scripts had (and sometimes they're better than the final product). With this comic adaptation so late, I'm really not expecting much in terms of extras. Doesn't help that the last comic adaptation was by Wheatley and... kind of hard to match that quality.

It would be nice to see NRDF ships in the comics, but I doubt they would waste time on it. If later ship designs go in a different direction, they could always write around THAT by saying the Hosnian Prime ships were from a different fleet or something like that. It wouldn't be the first time fleets completely changed between Episodes (like AotC ending with tons of Acclamators, but none showed up in RotS, replaced by Venators).

It would be nice even if they just reused the Alliance fleet from RotJ, but I'm expecting just tiny blurs. And unless someone gets really enthusiastic and creative, doubt it'll be Dark Empire again.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, based on the analysis of hi-res shots of TFA during that scene, three ships for sure are part of the NRDF over Hosnian Prime. There is a clear MC80 Home One-type, a MC80 Liberty-type, and a Nebulon-B frigate. We also see these classes in concept art, so I think it stands to reason that we can assume that the NRDF still fielded old school Alliance ships, or at least upgraded variants.

FTeik

I am finally home from work, I've linked the image I made a few months back.

[​IMG]

There seems to be a good mix of familiar and either unfamiliar/new designs over Hosnian Prime. When you consider the demilitarization of the galaxy that the New Republic oversaw, the NRDF being compose of updated Alliance warships and/or modern variants of the same vessels makes a lot of sense. Hell, in the real world, the US Navy uses carriers for 50+ years. Less time has passed between ROTJ and TFA, so these could very well be updated MC80's.

--Adm. Nick

15. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    You really think an underpaid, overstressed artist would bother to take his TFA-DVD (if he even owns one) and watch those few scenes in high-res? I find your lack of pessimism disturbing. ;):D

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I think a couple at the top are MC80 Home Ones, given this image:

[​IMG]
    Illumination at the bottom seems to make the rightmost ship follow the HO-type. And the lowest is a Nebulon-lookalike.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Story Group!

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I wish someone would just show us the models. They exist at LFL somewhere, as they were digitally created for the movie. Granted, they've got better things to do, but I hope we'll see them one day!

--Adm. Nick

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  19. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I've always been a bit of an Empire fan when it comes to ships, but I do hope a Viscount star defender shows up in the new films.

AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    As much as I loved the Alliance fleet, I don't want to see it again.

Time for a New Republic fleet! Show us why the FO couldn't wage war on it for all those years.

21. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Bonobos!!!

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm all for seeing the New Republic Defense Fleet, but why should it look so drastically different compared to the Alliance Fleet. TFA takes place in 34 ABY, so exactly three decades after we see the Rebel Fleet at the Battle of Endor. If in the real world we see Nimitz-class carriers, F-15 Eagles, M1 Abrams, and B-52 Stratofortresses all serving 30+ years (or longer, in the case of the carriers and bombers), why wouldn't that be the case in the GFFA?

The old EU showed us a lot of new ships, but that was also because the Galactic Civil War was a much longer conflict. Not only that, but the galaxy was in a state of near constant war up through the end of the Vong War.

Contrast this to new canon, where we have the Empire disappear and the New Republic hold sway as a peaceful government for over two decades. Without any major threat, why would the NR be building fancy new warships and fighters?

I suspect we'll see the NRDF using upgraded versions of Alliance hardware, or at least modern continuations of the same ship (ala the T-70 X-wing).

--Adm. Nick

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The New Republic grew out of the Rebel Alliance. Why would they suddenly have all new ships?

New groups could join the Rebellion in the New Republic and we can see new ships but at the expense of ships that were part of the Rebellion?
    Not likely.

And 30 years of peace? Why would there be new ships?

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The 3km or 17km one?

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There is reducing your military as a general de-militarisation drive and there is maintaining the fleet that remains, which includes tech upgrades and indeed ship replacements.

War is a driver of technological innovation, but it's not the only one.

Indeed, I'd like to think that where the FO likes to see the NR as weak for being peaceful, it's overlooked that the NR never actually ceased its R&D activity....

Gamiel and Force Smuggler like this.