main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think you're reading support too strongly. At the beginning of the film, Jir notes that the capture of the Tantive could *create* sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate. I think the support Tagge refers to isn't active political support. You have to read it the context of the conversation, which is about how the Rebellion is equipped.

Had there been any direct evidence of support, that'd be treason and the end of it. See: Leia's comments in Rebels and her denials at the beginning of ANH.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Here's the thing. Rogue Group is exclusively seen as a unit of snowspeeders protecting the base. By the time we see X-wings in action again in ROTJ, we see Wedge leading Red Squadron, not Rogue Squadron.

Honestly, I'd actually prefer they kept Wedge in the NEU as part of Red Squadron. I like the legacy. As the New Republic expands and squadrons take on a myriad of new names, I dig the concept that the handful of squadrons with standard "color" names are viewed with awe & respect, as they trace their lineage to the original Rebel squadrons.

Well, it depends on your definition of "active". I don't see senators being able or willing to openly speak out in the Imperial Senate in support of the Rebellion, but we do know that they had many covert supporters. The fact that the Emperor dissolved the Senate and had been increasingly giving power to regional governors and his own inner council shows that the Senate wasn't viewed as a vehicle of Imperial support, but rather a "vestige" of the Republic that needed to be wiped out in order for him to push towards his ultimate goal of a Sith-led theocratic empire.

--Adm. Nick

3. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    In Legends, Sheev didn't really care about the Sith. Both regular Emperor Sheev and Dark Empire Voldemort-Sheev. Both had pretty much discarded the Sith way and only used it as labels. He formulated his own Rule of One (not to be confused with Krayt's) which had it so he would reign forever as the only Dark Sider and Galactic Emperor.

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

So nucanon Sheev is more traditional Sith?

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No, not really. According to Tarkin his long-term goal was to become the dark side of the Force... or something like that. Nick's point is just about the element (found in both Legends and canon, really) of Palpatine subtly minimizing the more bureaucratic/technocratic side of the Empire in favor of Sith devotees and others fanatically devoted to him personally.

Edit: Though I would argue that all Sith essentially only think about themselves, not the order as a whole. The genius of Darth Bane was in creating a system that would channel that mindset towards a long-term goal.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A group that happened to contain Wedge and Luke? :p

I don't know where you'd get theocratic empire. Sith-led, certainly, Palpatine says as much in ROTS. But the Imperial military has been secular in canon and is uncomfortable with cultists -- see: Rebels. It's rather different from the theocracy of the First Order.

As for the Senate, sure -- it was a vestige if the Republic. But a powerful one. Again, Rebels shows us how the Empire went out of its way to accommodate senatorial delegations.

But remember what we were discussing -- the notion that the NR's quick rise was somehow seeded by ANH. I don't think that's an accurate reading of Imperial concerns about the Senate. Yes, removing the Senate from power meant transitioning the Empire from a notionally constitutional monarchy to a pure autocracy. Obviously.

Additionally, it prevented some Senate using their privileged position in the Empire to help equip the Rebels. But that concern was about growing sympathy in the Senate.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I use theocracy is a loose sense, more because of the "ancient religion" comment we hear folks like Tarkin or Han use. I was referring to Palpatine's end goal of creating a Sith Empire, which IMO isn't the secular Empire that he initially created out of the Old Republic. Honestly, even if the Rebellion never existed in the form we know, I can see this eventual transition forcing our old Loyalists eventually. I suspect that folks like Rax are just furthering the goals that Palpatine had but never achieved.

Maybe not directly seeded, but I can see it as being a contributing factor (albeit a more minor one). It's not like Mon Mothma was the only former Imperial Senator. I can see a lot of former senators using their influence post-Endor to help quell dissent in their various sectors and steer them towards the New Republic. If this is the case (and I also assume that some of the elected senators of the New Republic Senate are former Republic/Imperial senators as well), it is a factor. Whether you define that as being "seeded" in ANH or not depends greatly on ones point of view. :p

RE: colored Rebel squadrons, I'm just nostalgic for them. That's all. Sure, we all love Red Squadron because of Luke & Wedge, but I'm sure there are other veterans of the other colored squads alive as well. And even if not, the lineage of those names is powerful. It's the same reason that modern navies reuse historical names for warships or name squadrons after famous ones from WWII. The symbolism is powerful.

Red, Gold, Blue, Green, Gray, and Yellow - the colors of the Rebel Rainbow. :xwing:

--Adm. Nick

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That whole Sith Empire thing is Legends, though. We know from canon that he was very skating with how far he let dark side knowledge spread -- the inquisitors had very limited abilities. And Filoni says they're basically gone by ANH, having fulfilled their purpose. That doesn't look like a Sith theocracy to me. We have to be wary of using EU assumptions.

Re: the Senate, I'm not saying it's inconsistent with ANH. I'm saying that it is not a necessary consequence of ANH such that the NEU approach to a quickly growing NR is the only (or most) consistent outcome with ANH. And I mean if anything, it's the opposite -- the Emperor straight up calls the Rebellion a pitiful little band in ROTJ. He's not really that concerned with them -- it's more like he used them as an excuse to close the Senate, more than anything.

Re: colored squadrons, the only thing I'm saying is that ESB is good enough to establish a canon Rogue Squadron existed at some point, and that it consisted of former Red Squadron members from Yavin. Whether it continued to exist after ESB or after ROTJ is another matter.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Ghost likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm more interested in a Centrist-Populist map more than anything at this stage. It's definite setup for something future, and I expect some interesting parallels between the planets which sued for peace after Jakku and those which became Centrist, especially what with such an Inner Rim web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Ghost like this.
  10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Such a map would be very cool, especially given how regionally diverse the membership of each party is. I'll have to look back over my notes from Bloodline tonight. and see if I can at least produce a list we can work off.

The Centrists seem to have a mix of Core powerhouses (Coruscant, Kuat) and prominent human world's in the Rim, like Orinda, Riosa, and Arkanis. The book seems to imply greater membership among the Rim for the Centrists, it at the very least seems to be human dominated for sure.

The Populists are more diverse in terms of species, with Mon Cala, Sullust, Ithor, and Abednedo being members. They have Core support in the form of Chandrila and Alderaan, plus some prominent Mid Rim worlds like Naboo.

Then there are all the NR worlds that are unaligned with either party. I can't recall if any worlds are named that fall into this category, but if I were in change of the Story Group I'd make worlds like Corellia or Bothawui fall into this category. Ones that are either independent in nature or unwilling to rock the boat by picking a side.

There are tons of other worlds mentioned, but so many are new worlds that lack formal placement on the map, hence why the exercise would only be partially complete.

--Adm. Nick

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You always want to make the Core side with the opposite side from me. Why do you keep doing that.

Also there's no evidence Leia represents Alderaan. Likely but it's not established.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I do love watching you two fight over the Core.

Then again one of you likes blowing up parts of it, so maybe a bit less Core world fighting please.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Surely you refer to Nick there?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Surely I refer to Alderaan?

What Core world did Nick ever blow up?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, the Core is split (presumably like many other regions), but keep in mind that Centrist worlds don't all necessarily secede. It appears that some will, but there is no blanket statement that every Centrist world leaves. Also, we know that the First Order is a Rim based power at the time of TFA, so that makes Coruscant and Kuat unlikely FO worlds, IMO.

RE: Alderaan, I know it hasn't been confirmed yet, but I agree that it is the most likely outcome. Leia is taking care of Alderaanians immediately post-Yavin, plus supplying them with ships and a huge chunk of DSII in Life Debt. Given her apparent disinterest in becoming Queen, I imagine that Leia settled with being the world's first elected senator.

--Adm. Nick

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I like Alderaan. Why would I blow it up?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's not much of a fight. Jello has been forced to side with the New Republic due to it's large Core membership. Yes, I enjoy this immensely. :p

--Adm. Nick

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I really doubt Coruscant and Kuat seceded. Orinda and rimward, sure.

As to Alderaan... Go on. Bedazzle me with what truly happened there, Admiral Jello.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not my fault. The Empire signed a treaty, and the Imperial Core is a part of the New Republic now. Possibly the main part, after Bloodline. What am I to do?

I suspect it's largely the New Territories that joined the FO, yes, judging by the name of the affiliate companies which supply them. The Perfect Weapon, which is close to TFA, seems to identify the fashionable Core with the NR.

Well, it's really quite simple. The thug Tarkin -- who we know to be a backwater provincial hick with an inferiority complex -- took out his jealousy of the Core on Alderaan.

The radio drama says that Vader tried to stop him, demanding that the Emperor be consulted. That suggests Vader felt the Emperor would object. Tarkin overrode his objections.

I feel comfortable citing the radio dramas because the authors of the young reader adaptations were told that they could treat the radio dramas as an authoritative source to pull from. I wouldn't say that they're canon necessarily (don't want to go down that slope -- but at least one interview referred to them as canonical) but I'd say they're still insightful.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Good points. I do find it amusing that the First Order's "foothold" in the Galaxy is concentrated in Pelly's old Remnant, a connection I'm sure that only fuels your disdain for them. :p

I had forgotten about that quote from Perfect Weapon. Considering that Core fashion & upper class culture seems to always emanate from Coruscant, it does seem likely that the Core stayed with the New Republic largely, though I suppose there is room for some to be quasi-independent mini powers too.

--Adm. Nick

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Excellent Jello. I do concur.

I'm fairly content for the FO to have the boundaries of the post-TUF Remnant. Segues neatly.

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Motti must have found it really interesting that Tarkin was so brazen in potentially defying the Emperor in destroying Alderaan, jet all of a sudden becomes so cautious if there is even a hint of destroying Coruscant. Is Tarkin's Core World jealousy only reserved for Alderaan...?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think Vader would've been a little more assertive had Tarkin tried to destroy Coruscant.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1, Ghost and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    ops wrong thread

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Right place? Wrong place?

Gamiel likes this.