main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'll add that Mon Mothma is not Centrist or Populist. She's the middle ground the NR sorely needs... it just got too polarized when she retired. Leia, will obstentially a Populist, is probably more like Mon Mothma than anyone else.

As for the issue of defense, the fact that Mon Mothma didn't demilitarize until well AFTER the defeat of the Empire shows she s no fool. She just wanted the military power more dispersed among NR members, as opposed to the central government. I happen to disagree with her on that... but it doesn't mean she is anti-military or naïve.

--Adm. Nick

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I would say they need 50/50 NR Fleet and PSFs....at least roughly. That way the Planets/Systems are responsible for their own security but can call on the NR if help is needed....or the other way around. The PSFs can be nationalized if needed by the NR.

3. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Agreed. I'd add that the concentration of heavier capital ships (Mon Cala cruisers, Starhawks, etc) should be in the hands of the NR government, as those assets are best used to deter foreign aggressors and maintain peace among members. Planets/systems need assets better suited to patrol, system defense, and protect local trade.

--Adm. Nick

Vialco and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The biggest issue with the NR is that their ludicrous egalitarianism and sidelining of royalty and aristocracy.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

JediFett10 likes this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, the whole thing behind the backstory of him and his race is they're incredibly short-sighted and self-sacrificing.

Basically, Cham Syndulla the RaceTM.

Honestly, I believe that's a far too favorable view of Chancellor Mothma. She dismantled the Republic military upon the taking of Chandrilla and the objections to it were it was being done while the war was still ongoing. Furthermore, she complained mentally about bringing the Republic BACK to war several times in Empire's End--implying she thought it was a different conflict than finishing off the Empire.

6. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I can see that....unless you get into key or wealthy system you would see something like Vindicator class cruisers or the like as the biggest ships.

Actually...I am a firm believer in more smaller ships as opposed to bigger is better. If I was an Imperial commander I would want 6-8 Vindicatores as oppoed to 1 or 2 Imperial Class SDs.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Chuck, you're mistaken. Mon Mothma makes it very clear that demilitarization wouldn't happen until AFTER the defeat of the Empire. She's looking ahead to a day where the galaxy won't need Empire sized starfleets. She purposely kept the NRDF at high strength up through Jakku. I'll add that in Lost Stars, it specifically states that even after the treaty is signed that Mon Mothma keep the NR fleet on a warfooting, lest the remnants of the Empire try something.

Just because she talks about disarmament doesn't mean that she is going to mothball the fleet in the middle of a conflict. ;)

Furthermore, Leia specifically notes in Bloodline that the New Republic's successes were in large part due to Mon Mothma's ability build consensus and forge compromise. Two skills extremely valuable in leading a democratic republic, whether it is in the GFFA or on our own planet.

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So ok. If the FO is in the unknown regions how much of the unknown regions galaxy do they control? A section, the entire galaxy?

vncredleader I was just thinking about this and it kind of reminds of a bit of the Dalek Empire Spin-Off series. No joke. For anyone who doesn't know the Dalek Empire Spin-Off series speaks of basically a Dalek invasion of Our (The Milky Way) Galaxy from the Daleks who come from another Galaxy (Called the Sephirah Galaxy) which they colonized and built a massive power base in. (You can find this in the Apocalypse Element....It's a good Sixth Doctor story involving Romana). But yeah I was just thinking about it. Dalek Empire Spin-Off.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I like to think it's the Hand of Thrawn sized.

250 Sectors.

Which is why they have such a massive power base.

Voltron64 likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh wow! Cool!

Part of me hope of your Thrawn theory with the FO natural evolution. :)

11. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012

I think Mothma set up the NR to force consensus and compromise, so that no one group could impose their will on another and everyone would have to work together for the good of the republic of they wanted to get anything done, Mothma was very good and make sure that everyone came to the table to figure things out. Unfortunately by Bloodlines the lines are drawn so rigidly that not getting anything done was seen as preferable to taking one step to trying to forge an understanding. Heck the centralists managed to get Castefro executed for breaking his party line.

I do suspect that the quagmire of Bloodline would have still been preferable to Mothma over allowing either group to push an agenda through with no real consensus.

12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Something to think about....if the FO controls a large part of the Unknown Regions...why even bother with coming back to the Known Galaxy and starting a ruckus??

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Revanchism.

On a serious note, the First Order is fundamentally a different animal from the Galactic Empire because of a single difference: the First Order believes in its ideology. Palpatine, Tarkin, and the others at the top of the Imperial inner circle were all venal power-mongers using the Empire to further their own power and prestige. The First Order's members all are fanatically dedicated to the principles of the New New Order.

They believe the galaxy is chaotic and full of horrible things because the New Republic is weak and they're doing it a favor by conquering it.

While Tarkin would be, "Well, we're taking it because we want it."

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    So i've been reading about how after the galactic concordance, the New Republic and the Imperial remnants were locked in a cold war until the Remnants split and went into the UR to become the First Order and I wonder if we saw the end of the Cold war in Episode VII when the FO destroyed the Hosnian system, thus beginning our "Second Galactic Civil War".

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The concept seems to have evolved over time - I would suggest that the Imperial worlds that signed the treaty, are mostly synonymous with the "Centralist" worlds in Bloodline - which are very much part of the New Republic at that point. (With the Imperials in the Unknown Regions, being, well, unknown to everyone in the Republic, including most Centralists.

Shortly after Bloodline, I would guess that many Centralist worlds secede, declaring themselves as the First Order (having been contacted by the Imperials in the Unknown Regions and talked into seceding).

Then the cold war begins

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Reverse order.

The Empire fled before the Concordance.

17. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    Either way can we say the Galactic Concordance was ripped in two when the First Order blew up the Hosnian System and the Galactic Senate?

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine the current canon will separate the First Order (a Separatist government of Imperial fanboys secretly backed by Real Imperials) and the Galactic Concordance--which was the Imperial surrender agreement.

But yes, the Cold War is certainly over.

General Hux and his heroes defeated the evil of the New Republic with their Freedom Gun.

:)

19. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    It makes you wonder what the galaxy has to do to enjoy peace? cause it seems like since the beginning of time, the SW galaxy has been in one conflict to the next.

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Though I do have some problems with the new canon and how quickly the Galactic Civil War wrapped up, I do like that we get a solid 3 decades or so without a major conflict. Makes it seem like our heroes accomplished something and got a well deserved rest, while in Legends it seemed like there was crisis after crisis after crisis.

OneTrueOverlord and Ghost like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Centrists, not Centralists.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

vncredleader and Ghost like this.
  22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Oh yes, it definitely is the start of a hot war for sure. One that will be all the tougher with the NR government in chaos and it's main fleet destroyed. I foresee a situation where the immediate "resistance" (pun intended) to the First Order's formal invasion of the galaxy will be a mix of Leia's Resistance organization, surviving elements of the NRDF, and NR worlds that are not cowed into submission after the destruction of Hosnian Prime.

--Adm. Nick

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I really hope we get to see more of the NR political landscape post-Empire's End. I am really curious as to why there was never a chancellor as good as her again, and who these lesser chancellors were.

24. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    So this might sound silly but are the Centrists and the Populists supposed to be the SW equivalent to the Real World version of the Republicans and Democrats?

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Think more early 1800s.