main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm inclined to think the Regional Governors found themselves in a serious pickle because they're colonial administrators and satraps for the Empire. The Moffs are, in Palpatine's view, Beast Harkonnen. They exist for the purposes of draining every bit as much from planets as possible back to the Empire and fueling the Imperial War Machine.

They're in charge of planets because Palpatine put them there rather than any local support. Traditionally, these sort of colonial administrators were considered highly expendable by their masters and that seems to be the case with the Moffs (if not Grand Moffs). Jerjerrod isn't exactly someone who commands the fanatical loyalty of his men as he's a middle-management bureaucrat.

To give a hypothetical example of what I predict will be the fate of Lothal: If Governor Pryce manages to make it to the Battle of Endor, she's going to have all of her Imperial fleets forces pulled back for more important worlds and be abandoned like so many other local governors. Then it will be a field day of hanging and humiliations for Imperial collaborators followed by the Old Governor (Clancy Brown) setting himself up as ruler of Lothal with all of the Empire's former machinery at his beck and call. I can easily then see its factories shifted to manufacturing X-wings overnight or within a few weeks.

JediBatman and MrDarth0 like this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm genuinely interested to see Lothal in the post-Endor era. We know that Garel's rebel cell managed to throw off Imperial rule (with future Resistance admiral Statura part of the cell), I'd like to think that Lothal holds some significance to the New Republic due to it's key role in the Rebellion.

Honestly, in my head canon, Lothal becomes New Republic capital at one point between Nakadia and Hosnian Prime. ;)

--Adm. Nick

3. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'll post a more detailed breakdown later this week, but On the Front Lines by Dan Wallace produces what I would say is the definitive version of the Battle of Jakku, weaving together in expert fashion all the various sources depicting the battle (Battlefront, Lost Stars, Blade Squadron: Jakku, Empire's End, etc) and producing a great narrative. A few cool tidbits:

• Ackbar agreed to Lando's suggestion of a point blank range attack as he hoped it would dissuade the DSII from firing on his fleet AND allow him to punch a hole through the Imperial line in a fighting retreat.
    • Sloane was the Imperial commander who ordered the re-treat from Endor
    • Post-Endor, Ackbar led the fleet on a advance into Imperial territories in the Inner and Mid Rim
    • MC80 cruisers in the Alliance fleet range from 1.2-1.5km in length.
    • Grand Admiral Randd assumed that a NR loss or retreat at Jakku would rally Imperial forces and allow them to setup a new centralized sphere of influence in the Western Reaches.
    • The NR's objective in the battle was straightforward- destroy or capture Imperial warships, seize the facilities on the ground.
    • General Rieekan was present, commanding from the MC80 Striking Distance. His mission was to coordinate teams to capture as many Imperial warships as possible, as he knew that the NR still lacked the shipbuilding capability to match Imperial warship production.
    • When Ackbar's fleet arrives, it quickly secures better long-range positions around the Imperial Fleet. Ackbar believed that his fleet's superior shielding and his B-wing bombers would make up for his MC80's being outgunned by the ISD's.
    • Randd's overall command began to unravel early on, as Imperial battlegroups who had no ideological loyalty to each other withdrew from their positions in the battle line, opening up other rival Imperial groups to suffer heavy damage.
    • Phoenix Squadron was back at Jakku and flew A-wings! :D
    --Adm. Nick

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    U-wings were also present at Jakku, so nice to know they were still in service then. A lot of this isn't new (Wookieepedia cites some other source for the Sloane retreat), but as I don't care about the nuEU enough to track down everything, I love how this book sums up Endor and Jakku (and the general political atmosphere too) in a well-written and somewhat detailed manner. Honestly I like this version of the Battle of Jakku more than Empire's End. And Battlefront doesn't really count as you're stuck dying over and over again without being able to admire the scenery (unless that's changed in more recent patches?). Too bad there's no movie of the Battle of Jakku (unless Battlefront I has changed that much? Guess we'll see about BF2).

I like their version of the Battle of Starkiller Base too, but that's off-topic for here.

MercenaryAce and AusStig like this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    U-wings were mentioned in Empire's End, but it is cool to see the NR using them. The book also canonizes that there are thirty Star Destroyers at Endor. It doesn't specify class, so that I assume that includes any Tector-class SD's as well.

To no one's surprise, I'm immensely happy that Dan Wallace continues to write Ackbar like the legend he is. We learn that Ackbar had one "many naval victories" against "numerically superior Imperial armadas" prior to Endor. He's referred to as supreme commander, a nice nod to the old EU rank/role he filled.

--Adm. Nick

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even that it's possible to count more than 30 "wedge shaped ships with towers" from movie screenshots - I presume that some of the ships are actually battlecruisers that are "oversized Star Destroyers" looks-wise - and maybe a few heavy cruisers of the same SD-type appearance?

Jedi Knight Fett and PCCViking like this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just 30? What about the battle cruiser(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That must mean we have visual proof of the battlecruisers and possibly interdictor cruisers in ROTJ. :D

[​IMG]

Knave1 likes this.
  9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Legends' "Essential Guide to Warfare" gave us 33 Imperial class and 3 Tector class, equaling the 36 on screen.

Knave1, AusStig and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  10. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Which makes me wonder if the figure of 30 Star Destroyers now count for those classes and the Executor is excluded.

Knave1 likes this.
  11. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Double post.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Any additional ships could easily be off screen. It's clear that this particular shot of ROTJ is using two models- the Executor and the ISD. With the ISD being photographed and pasted on the matte painting 36 times. We know of at least one Tector-class in the fleet in the NEU canon, but it would be impossible to identify it at that range. The battle cruiser Pride of Tarlandia and any other classes can literally be anywhere not directly in that shot.

Dan notes that MC80 cruisers range between 1.2-1.5km. Not as big as the 1.9km we saw in that Rebels BTS pic of Home One, but at least the scale is rising slowly.

I noted two cool things in the Jakku section. First, that the Concord is specifically called a Starhawk-class battleship, which sounds way better than Nadiri Mark One. Secondly, the Imperial Navy at Jakku was large composed of ISD-I Star Destroyers, not ISD-II's.

I'm still grinning that Phoenix Squadron's A-wings played a role at Jakku. Can't keep a good cell down! :D

--Adm. Nick

13. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Of course the model is copy-pasted, I'm just highlighting that if the new book says the number 30, than any of the more indistinct blobs in the frame could be some other kind of Imperial design. There's even a couple of Star Destroyers that were smudged a bit when they were copy-pasted, so one could be the Pride of Tarlandia if we wanted. :p

[​IMG]

Amazing what differences slightly changing the light sources can do to one model.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They also corrected this in an errata and said that all days should be hours, FWIW

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

In the context of The Essential Atlas, it does make sense that days have become hours (with a certain amount of fudging for tricky hyperspace routes). It took a VicStar 22 hours at "point five" (or close to it) to get from Abregado to Endor, in Dark Force Rising:

Twenty-two hours after leaving Abregado, they arrived at the rendezvous. At the last place Mara would have expected. At the very last place in the galaxy she would have wanted to go. The place where her universe had died a sudden and violent death.

Endor.

And the map in The Essential Atlas puts that as roughly a quarter of the diameter of the galaxy.

16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Considering they've had hyperspace technology for over 25,000 years, it wouldn't be a surprise that it's developed to the point it can take hours to travel across the galaxy instead of days, weeks and years.

17. No Mara Jade and No Kyle Katarn = No Buy

18. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm more worried about they get a random redhead and call her Mara Jade when it's not Mara Jade.
    Worse, what if they give us a NJO Mara Jade Skywalker?

19. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017

Hmm, either the Empire was low on ISD II's or the others were being hidden and older ships were deliberately sacrificed (sounds like a lot of the officers at Jakku had no real loyalty to the Empire).
    Is the bit about the Empire pulling back to defend the research base near the end of the battle still in there?

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The new EU (yes, I know we should call it that wat, but whatever) seems to be shock full of Imperial I-class vessels, indeed. For a time, I wasn't even sure they were still amking a difference between mark I and mark II, but fortunately the Visual Guide to Rogue One ended up mentioning the Imperial II-class directly. Also, the differences seem to have remained the same as in Legends: compare these canon blueprints for both classes.

AusStig likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There was an effort in Rogue One to use ISD-Is, and I remember a Marvel artist in a particular post-ANH issue deliberately using an older ISD-I and mentioning it in an interview.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yes, the battle in the skies above Jakku is still there. Battlefront II will give us a good look at the final stages of that fight, which looks wicked cool.

--Adm. Nick

robotical712 likes this.
  23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Thing is, Ezra's journal shows that Imperial II-class were already around at the time of Star Wars Rebels' 1st season. That means it came into service in or before 5 BBY. I find it a little weird that, 5 years later, a big wig like Tarkin still has an Imperial I. In Vader's case, the R1 Visual Guide implies that, for some reason, he preferred to keep the Devastator.

(Speaking of the Devastator, I wonder if it had multiple captains aboard as in Legends. In A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy, the ship's captain is described as an older man, which doesn't seem to fit the appearance of Shaef Corssin in R1.)

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's possible that the differences aren't super different between the ISD-I and ISD-II in the new canon. Furthermore, it's possible that old ISD-I's have been upgraded alongside the newer Mark II models. We see this in the real world all the time, like the USN's Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyers.

--Adm. Nick

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I know absolutely NOTHING about such matters, so please forgive me if my question is naïve/stupid, but... why make a new model at all if it's barely different and you're going to upgrade older models anyway?

(By comparing the blueprints, it seems that the main differences between mk I and mk II is that the former has a tractor beam targeting array where the latter has a communications tower.)