main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Not so sure about that. It's the place of the first jedi temple. There might be things that Snoke needs or at least really wants to get...

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I admit, there are times when I think that's the only thing that COULD kill him...

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    So apparently thanks to Rogue One, we finally get confirmation that the Galactic Civil War started in 0 BBY making it a 5-year war instead of a 20+ war like in Legends.

4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think it may depend on how you interpret the movie. I got the impression that it was the start of open war with the Empire where there is open combat. However it seemed the rebellion had been around for a while and bad been fighting the Empire on a smaller scale. There was time to develop a council, a high command and to have a falling out with Saw's group. Also Rebels is three years behind this and there's coordination between groups and some sort of leadership in the background.

This does depend on what you consider the war. In the EU it was mostly hit and run tactics through Endor, even a little after. I believe this was happening before Rogue One. In the EU even stealing the Death Star plans was small strike teams rather than a full scale battle. It seems that the NEU has caused open war scale to occur earlier around the time of the OT. To me it seems this is what starts at Rogue One

If I'm wrong please tell me.

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Well first of all Rebels is 2 years behind rogue one, not 3.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It depends what you mean since Saw was killing Imperials since Empire Day.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In the Entertainment Tonight Collector's Edition for Rogue One, they give a map of the galaxy which recanonizes the Expansion Region and Colonies so cool bit there.

Oddly, it also places Cato Neimodia and Muunlist in the Core Worlds.

8. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Charlemagne19 The Colonies and Expansion Region were in the TFA Visual Dictionary, Complete Locations and Galactic Maps (at least), so they've been recanonized for a while

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Weren't they already recannonised?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Yeah. Previous maps (TFA Visual Guide, among others) had them as well. And they were mentioned in a few novels.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm less concerned about that than the locations of said planets.

12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I guess the lede got buried, then.

The placements are new. I don't think the planets have been placed yet. This isn't the recent map with Hosnian Prime in the Colonies, in it?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, so much for the Rim having any value whatsoever, huh?

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, going back to an older post:

What are your thoughts on the New Republic now?

We know now that the First Order also came from a significant separatist movement, unlike what we thought when I wrote this a year ago, a month after TFA's release.

And we've seen more of the flaws of their government in Bloodline.

Knowing what we know now... if the New Republic survives and is reformed at the end of the Sequel Trilogy, what changes should be made?

Darth Basin likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I think the biggest changes that the New Republic would need to make revolve around the role of the Chancellor and the size of the Defense Force.

I'm a fan of the New Republic being an egalitarian democracy with a unicameral legislature. It makes it different from the Old Republic, but also somewhat similar. However, the role of chancellor needs some more defined powers. As we learned in Bloodline, Mon Mothma was successful as chancellor due to her stature, reputation, and ability to forge compromise. These are great things, but the chancellor needs some properly defined powers to serve as an elected executive. In terms of the Defense Force, it's obvious that "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty". Other than the comment about the Defense Force being reduced by 90% (which we still haven't seen actually happen), we don't know much about it's size, scope, and role as of TFA. The Visual Guide still calls is the largest fleet in the galaxy, but even that statement doesn't tell us much as we don't have a good idea as to how big individual member fleets are and whether the NR can "federalize" them in a crisis.

Personally, a think a balance (ala what the Galactic Alliance achieved post-LOTF) is best. Members can and should be allowed to maintain fleets that meet their normal security and patrol needs, but they also should contribute funds that can be used by the Senate to build & maintain an adequate fleet for their combined defense. Nothing on the scale of the Imperial military or the combined forces of the Grand Army of the Republic. The NRDF needs to be powerful enough not to just patrol space lanes or deter would be aggressors, but take them on and defeat them if one attempts to start a conflict.

I'm going to assume that there is an independent judiciary. If not, that would be a change I make as well.

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel and Ghost like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    *Bloodline, :p

I agree with you AdmiralNick22, but how? And there are also two other things to consider: the GFFA's military-industrial complex and the Populist-Centrist struggle.

Do you think the Supreme Chancellor should have the powers of commander-in-chief, similar to the US President or the authority granted to Palpatine during the Clone Wars? It would allow the Republic to take military action in case of an emergency, instead of waiting for the Senate to agree, because a decision might need to be made within minutes. But it also allows for abuse of power... how would the Senate check those powers?

And it hasn't been mentioned much yet beyond the TFA Visual Dictionary, but it seems like another big factor in the rise of the First Order was the Corporate Sector Authority and other arms manufacturers finding loopholes or secretive methods to make a profit by arming the First Order. That must be dealt with in some way.

Also, how to prevent another Centrist versus Populist deadlock or secession, and those other issues seen in the Bloodline novel?

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If I knew how to overcome bitter political divides and unite people behind their government, I'd be a genius. Plus I'd be running for President of the United States. ;)

Since it seems damned near impossible in real life, I'll just say I hope that the citizens of the New Republic are smarter, better informed, more engaged, more compassion, and more compromising than many of their real world counterparts. [face_praying][face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

Ghost likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    My opinion is the same as it was then. The New Republic would be better than the old for dealing with the Trade Federation or Separatists, but dealing with the Trade Federation or Separatists isn't the same as dealing with the Empire/First Order. I'm not sure if the pre-AOTC Republic would have been any better at dealing with the Empire/First Order. The AOTC/ROTS Republic would be better at dealing with the Empire/First Order, but is also the state that became the Empire in the first place.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It feels to me that the Republic's system should be more based on EU or UN then USA.

20. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    History has shown time and time again that a strong union (like the US) lasts longer than a looser confederation (like the EU).

A NR like we have in Disney Canon will always invite more rebellions than a NR we had in Legends which took something as strong as a Borg like foe to finally undo.

21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    It does, but then we do t get any new stories apparently.

Sent from A TRANSMISSION BEAMED ABOARD THIS SHIP--

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It already is. Or the early pre-CivilWar USA, that had greater states' rights. The Populists are similar to the Democratic-Republicans, and the Centrists to the Federalists.

I was just addressing if someone should be made commander-in-chief so military matters can be handled efficiently... but then someway to check that power so we don't have another Palpatine.

23. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

It's called "term limits".

AdmiralNick22 and Havoc123 like this.
  24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    That and Senate oversight. Sure, CoS/Chancellor/President would be the Commander-in-chief, but the Senate would be the ones voting on war declarations, military funding, etc.

AdmiralNick22 , Darth Basin and Ghost like this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Term limits don't check a person from making a disastrous decision or power-grab using the military.