main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    You would've gotten the same reaction from the likes of Senator Jebel. They wouldn't have believed it and they didn't have Jyn Erso inspiring the Rogue One break away at the time. If anything, it might have broken the Alliance before it formed.

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Now why do I suspect the Empire has a very good PR and propaganda department? Including the ability to shoot outlandish ideas down that make their way to the public domain? Like the very idea of the Empire building a planet-destroying battle station.

Also, they've done a fairly good job of illustrating the disparity between the Rebel groups and the Empire. LOTS showed how difficult it was for even a well organised and supplied group like Syndulla's to take out a single Star Destroyer.

Making the Death Star public might have catalysed a coalescing into a full-on Alliance sooner, or, as R1 demonstrated, it might have successfully intimidated more rebel groups into giving up sooner.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Ah, but in RO the DS is already operational. In this case, it would still be under construction and the Emperor was also not yet ready to dissolve the Senate.

But yeah, it would probably not have changed that much in the grand scheme of things. Those who wanted to fight the Empire would still fight it, just a bit earlier, while the rest would ran away as they did in RO.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    And that...Is sad. The galaxy was obviously too used to having the Jedi act as a crutch, dying FOR them. Then again, there were only around 10,000 in a massive galaxy and some had never met one, let alone believe in them, apparently.

....It's sad the Jedi died for a galaxy where there are so few who would be willing to fight the good fight. If their order came back, things might've gone back to that way the way the NR grew complacent and they would've been wiped out too, potentially. Not sure I would've liked that any better than them getting slaughtered in TFA.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That was always very silly, and frankly hard to believe seeing how everything else suggested SSD shields could be breached by relatively small numbers of torpedoes.

Comparatively, a heavy cruiser slicing through a ship is far more devastating.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  6. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    In my experience, I've come to learn stories are dictated by plot necessity, things are as strong as the writers want them to be. As long as it is feasible by the story's standards. Even then, as noted above, is subject to controversy of approval/disproval.

If a SSD's shields are strong enough for such, they make it so.

If the Raddus needs to carve through the Supremacy and several Resurgences, it will be so.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Some interesting info from the TLJ Visual Dictionary. The New Republic knew about the Stormtroopers in the First Order's ranks but thought that they were a defence force and never expected them to be an invasion army.

As well as this it is also stated that Snoke's name is known to the galaxy. This makes out the New Republic leaders at the time of its destruction to be both arrogant and stupid. It seems that quite a few people did recognize the threat though, which is how the Resistance ended up with a fair bit of it's resources so at least some people had common sense.

8. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Think like the United Nations, they know members and non-members are violating human rights constantly (cough Saudi Arabia cough) but turn a blind eye to it to focus on stupid stuff.

seeker_two likes this.
  9. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    The best defence is a good offence...

Its a bit more complicated than that...

Jedi Ben and Gamiel like this.
  10. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Really? I see it pretty simple in terms of the UN's incompetence.

At least the New Republic more or less allowed the Resistance to work within their rules to find the evidence while they pursued what they believe was important, including increased trade with the Trans-Hydian. If anything, the Centrists leaving the Republic gave them the kick to keep an eye on them.

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    You really wouldn't want countries leaving the UN.

The UN are far from perfect, but the world is much better off with an imperfect UN than no UN at all.

Darkslayer, Gamiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I do like that the new Visual Dictionary and ICS do paint the NR in a better light. Yes, still naïve, but less so that we assumed. Back channel links were open and the Senate was obviously open to Leia presenting evidence. The fact that New Republic senators and member worlds could so easily get information, personnel, ships, and weapons to the Resistance shows that the New Republic didn't view the Resistance as a threat.

For Leia to be allowed to address the Senate (when she is no longer a sitting member or official New Republic dignitary) shows the respect she still commanded in the New Republic. Which implies that a good chunk of senators and member worlds were rooting for her to succeed. I'd frankly love to see more of Chancellor Villecham, just so we can see how much of a Chamberlain he really was.

"Peace in our time!" :p

--Adm. Nick

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've said this before, but one thing a lot of people forget about the real Chamberlain: for all that Munich has tarred him in history, he did come around on the whole issue as the danger became even more obvious. Villecham gives me the same impression. (I've never entirely shaken the suspicion that the too-convenient concentration of the fleet was because someone genuinely did anticipate a First Order surprise attack on the capital... they just didn't realize the form it would take).

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi. This is not the most apposite example, given that the fundamental bedrock of the United Nations is the sovereign equality of members and the prohibition against interference with the political integrity of nations. See Arts. 2(1) and 2(4). There is a limited scope for action -- especially outside of any treaty mechanism that obligates Saudi Arabia (note that for instance, Saudi Arabia has never ratified the International Covenent on Civil and Political Rights, much less other instruments that would apply and bind Saudi Arabia to international standards).

Quite simply put, it's not a bug but a feature that a country like Saudi Arabia isn't being interfered with by the international community. You may well think it unfortunate, but nation-states are sovereign and the international community frowns on invading other countries to impose values.

Despite, you know, other much greater violators of international norms regularly doing such. You may very well live in one such nation.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, the UN has as much power as its member states give it, which is to say, not much!

16. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I know of only one truth. It's time for the UN... to end.

Seriously, the reasons Luke states for ending the Jedi could be applied to the UN. Basically it doesn't work well and they seem arrogant, so time to bring it all down. Luke doesn't have more detailed reasons than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

17. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    MANY people would be glad to be rid of the UN, so I don't think your point is making the point you think it is.

seeker_two and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Now that I think about it, you are right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Clearly you missed the point - states all say they want to believe in international law but they won't empower it enough for it actually apply to them. So it is the major powers have permanent security council seats and veto anything they don't like.

If anything, the Jedi had far, far more power to act than the UN.

masterskywalker likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Quoting me because logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoinTheSchwarz and Darth_Duck like this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But it seems like most Centrist worlds seceded shortly after Bloodline (thought most probably didn't know the true nature of the First Order they joined), along with a lot of the neutral worlds to form the Trans-Hydian Borderlands.

Any Centrist worlds remaining in the New Republic would probably be fighting against the First Order the hardest, since they were the ones who wanted a stronger Republic government and military, and had the strongest planetary defense forces.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The UN does nothing but provide a forum for talking.

No point in it NOT existing like the Climate Change treaty.

It also does humanitarian work.

People who say it shouldn't exist are taken in by my fellow Illuminati members.

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    To be fair, Leia didn't address the Senate because she knew she'd never make it off Hosnian Prime alive. So the New Republic wasn't exactly friendly to her, if she couldn't even visit the capital without risking death.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Recent continuity implies the First Order controls a string of worlds in the North including Borosk (but not Garqi/Cassander). It’s presently closer to the Bastion Accords Remnant than the post-NJO Remnant. Seemingly.

So that potentially means Kuat and Coruscant stayed within the Senate as Centrists. Similarly so with Arkanis. We know that at least some of the Centrist Senators that remained within the Senate still worked for the First Order, blocking motions against them.

Kuat created a company to support the First Order and one would expect has Imperial leanings. That’s just one prominent example. If Coruscant and Kuat and the Neutral Worlds join up, the First Order has a massive advantage before the war begins.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It's possible, but those worlds would still be isolated and bereft of any support they would normally be able to call on from the Senate or home fleet. I'm sure that Mon Cala, a Populist world, still maintained a strong defense fleet. It's world's like this that I believe Rey is referring two when she references the "remaining major systems".

The Alliance had the benefit of a centralized civil government and military command chain. Post-Hosnian Prime, the member worlds of the New Republic lack that apparatus, which would reduce significantly the ability of these members to coordinate any sort of defensive war.

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.