main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I guess when I watch a Star War I am in that world (and honestly, most movies, it's why I tend to avoid really harsh stuff). But that's me, obviously, I get why it doesn't work for you.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There are moments in both TFA and TLJ that do have that sense of immersion for me, but Kylo just breaks the spell and the magic for me.

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014

We traded a villain with some real presence...Vader...for a triumvirate of losers.

Kylo = angry at everyone and if it wasn't for the Force would not be a threat at all.

Hux = pasty, incompetent ginger who was given his position due to parentage and does not really appear to be respected by his subordinates for anything other that the rank plaque on his chest.

Phasma = chrome plated stormtrooper who really did not do all that much. She led the attack at the beginning of TFA...then got thrown in the garbage chute....then goes one on one with a traitorous subordinate and gets herself dead.

I want a real villain...a guy (or girl) that when they some on the screen you go "That's the guy." Someone who has some presence or gravitas.

AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.
  4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Count Dooku. There was a villain with presence. Love that guy.

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Same with the Grand Inquisitor.....a refined, superior attitude; competence with a lightsaber; reserved yet menacing.

6. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Agreed completely. People say Maul should've lived on, but I disagree. Dooku was perfect in his role, Maul was really just a mook to be toppled over and this is even established in related material. TCW turns him into some mastermind for no reason.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'll admit, one of my few genuine disappointments with TLJ and even the novelization was the utter lack of reference to the Centrists. It's like they went to all that trouble to create a backstory, only to ignore it in the final film.

What's more telling is that in the novelization, Jason clearly lays out that the FO is basically based in the Outer Rim and Unknown Regions, with the Supremacy as mobile flagship. Which makes me think that the Centrist secession was either a) small scale, or b) led to a bunch of independent smaller states, not a large FO in sheep's clothing.

--Adm. Nick

8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Most likely it was a move more to disrupt and destabilize the Republic government before their blitz. I kind of like that idea. I'd like it more if they actually followed through with a lot of these concepts they are introducing.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'd love to see the Centrist worlds reaction to the destruction of Hosnian Prime. People forget, the vast majority of Centrists aren't FO sleeper agents. They were New Republic citizens who had had different views on how the government should be structured. The First Order obviously didn't care for the Centrist worlds, it was just a convenient way to further destabilize the New Republic.

In my mind, most Centrist worlds would be shocked and disgusted by the Hosnian Cataclysm. I'm sure that when the First Order starts it's invasion, many Centrist worlds are shocked when they too are conquered in the name of "peace & security" by Snoke's hordes.

--Adm. Nick

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I did like in the novelization how...

Snoke referred to Rax, Sloane, and Hux's father, and their implied fates. I wouldn't be surprised if he played off the latter two against each other, waiting to take out the winner.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    On that point:

Had the other guy, Apolin something, been mentioned previously at all? The name was new to me.

Vialco and PCCViking like this.
  12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That guy's from Claudia Gray's Bloodline.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    @Jedi Ben

I can dig up the pages where the NRDF, surviving senators, and the state of the NR are mentioned when I get home. There are 3-4 direct references. They may only be a sentence or two long each, but they provide some wonderful context about what the New Republic is doing with it's federal government gone and into Leia's plans to rally them.

I wasn't expecting Jason to devote whole chapters to this. However, these tidbits provide a great background into the events we're not seeing onscreen in TLJ. Coupled with stuff like the Visual Dictionary, it gives us some cool story threads.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That'd be cool, thanks Nick.

16. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    From the Wook:

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm. So that does seem to be a Centrist direct reference, then.

Regardless, if Centrists v Populists came from RJ it seems like the conclusion is that we were looking in the wrong direction. We were looking for the Centrists to explain the FO (led in that direction by a few books) but it actually seems as if the main purpose was perhaps to show why Leia's messages to her allies went unanswered.

That said -- I still think it may not be prudent to entirely dismiss the ideas of FO worlds in known space, especially since we've had some word that there might be. Instead, I would posit that we'd consider the FO territories in the UR and in the New Territories to be the FO's core territory, a place where a capital might logically be situated.

This is, of course, using capital in the sense of "seat of government/operators" rather than "principle world" -- the novel uses the term imprecisely but then again, so does everyone else on the planet so that's neither here nor there. The main point is that while key, important worlds may potentially be part of the FO, they are not key or central to the FO in its development or in its rule. Or they are simply vulnerable.

For all those reasons, Snoke never designated a capital.

(it's just imprudent to dismiss what other stories have told us, or extrapolate certainties from what we've been told in the latest source: the storytelling ideas may change, which is precisely why it's been so hard to pin down this stuff.)

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    If Ormes is still around, maybe he's the unseen part of the FO? The Prime Minister or whatever, the one running the civil government?

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Listen, Leia destroyed Hosnian Prime. It's fake holo news if anyone says otherwise. Did you not hear about the Resistance superweapon?

darklordoftech and AV-6R7 like this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Hahaha, not funny.

Ghost and Charlemagne19 like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I would assume that would actually be the FO's byline. I mean, at least after Starkiller Base was destroyed.

22. Erathes

Erathes Jedi Padawan

Mar 21, 2015
    I really hope that somewhere down the line we will get a Dooku novel detailing his life as a Jedi and how he became so discontent the Jedi Order . He's too fascinating of a character to leave behind in the dust.

23. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Not if Hux has any say in the matter. That dude is proud of blowing up Hosnian Prime.

24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Exactly. Which is also the reason your joke isn't funny. Unlike the Empire, the First Order wouldn't dare cover up their involvement in annihilating Hosnian Prime.

25. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    He had some presence due only to the performance of the late Christopher Lee. The characters himself was thin as a potato chip.

What makes Kylo a great villain is that he has a measure of vulnerability and relatability, which makes his violent, psychotic outbursts more frightening and his acts of evil more despicable.