main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it was Battlefront II: Inferno Squad, that showed one of the few examples of the Partisans specifically targeting civilians - children.

Even then - there was a military target present as well - it's just that the guy responsible - Staven - saw the children as the real target.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think they generally don't care about collateral damage as a whole.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Staven is about the only Partisan who specifically says he seeks to terrorise the Empire and let them know civilians aren't safe from them.

Regular Partisans are probably a bit closer to the mainstream Rebellion in ethics.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well the point of Rogue One was the Rebellion wasn't entirely clean (enough that the soldiers felt they had to atone) and that Saw was far far more extreme than them.

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    You don't win wars with good manners and pleases and thank yous.

AusStig likes this.
  6. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    The point of Rogue One was that however "unclean" the various Rebel factions might be, they are fighting an enemy willing to murder entire planets, and so maybe they should stop judging each other and stop the planet murdering monsters.

*Cough*Starkiller*Cough*

Revanfan1 and PCCViking like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, the thing is that the Rebellion sorta did.

The whole point of Rogue One being that they wouldn't win Saw's way. They had to win on hope and kisses.

Actually, that's pretty much not what I got. Rogue One was about kicking the whole "hard man making hard decisions" nerfshavit and embracing PURE UNBRIDLED IDEALISM!

HOPE!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    (War crimes are war crimes even if the other side is doing it too.

But there’s not quite evidence the Resistance/NR have done anything of the sort. And even if they had: proportionality.)

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I was just looking back over my list of New Republic member worlds, it still stands at 58 confirmed worlds, 6 potential/likely. There are tons of likely ones, but I don't add them to the list until we have at least a strong indication they are members or closely aligned. At least we have a broad idea of what regions the New Republic is strong in and roughly where the First Order's holding are in known space. The stellar cartographer in me is dying to know more... but I suspect it will be awhile before we get definitive borders and maps.

I'm very hopeful we'll see more information in Last Shot. I'm hoping we get a different world for the New Republic capital. It should have moved off Nakadia, or at least I'd assume it would have by this point. Nakadia is such a dull world... plus it would be cool to see them on another cosmopolitan world.

--Adm. Nick

10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah maybe a world that's massive cities are like nothing we have seen before.....maybe even underwater ;)

Also cue Little Mermaid joke

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Honestly, I'd love to see world's chosen that aren't the "major systems" we all know. We know tons about Chandrila, Mon Cala, or Sullust. I'd rather they put the capital on Gatalenta or Uyter or Abednedo. I want to learn about other New Republic systems, not just the major ones.

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah do we know anything about Abednedo? Honestly I want Iakar to be a capital. Would be nice since they did not even have a presence off planet beyond pharma-companies invading them and some trading with other worlds. Would be cool if their assistance with the Alliance made them the host for the freaking capital despite being an exploited backwater world prior to then

13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Let's learn about Stewjon. It's per George Lucas' quote, one of the very first things he wrote about in the very first script, but we know almost nothing about it. :p

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks to the Galactic Atlas, we do know a bit about Abednedo. The planet is covered with huge metropolises that have ornamental spires, tons of flags, and a multitude of colors. It actually sounds kinda cool visually, plus I believe there is a network of underground caves as well.

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    How about in the Alderaan system....on a completed super space station??

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yes x1000! I'd love that. Symbolically, it would be so perfect. Just the sort of thing that the New Republic would do.

--Adm. Nick

Chris0013 likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I don't know the legal details and whatnot of what went on at Nuremberg, but wasn't the Nazi defense basically "they were going to do it to us, so we had to attack and exterminate them first! There was no other way!"

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Coruscant will reign again.

Vthuil and Daneira like this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering that Taris has been getting mentions, I would suggest that as another possible NR capital.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    But you also don't win if you descend to your enemy's level, because then you're no better than they are.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Isn't Taris still recovering from Malak's orbital bombardment? Yeah I know it's just some unnamed disaster in canon, but we Legends fans know who's responsible.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I've always felt it was unrealistic that it took 3000 years for a planet to recover from an orbital bombardment of one city. Nothing in KOTOR itself ever implied that Taris was beyond help.

Though in canon, Aftermath did imply that there had been some kind of catastrophe on Taris, yes, but I feel like it was probably more recent. We see a Senator of Taris in TCW and in R1, and I doubt a ruined civilization would have a Senator.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    We see Taris a bit in the Aftermath trilogy. IIRC, the world is still partially devastated. Major cities that are havens, as well as ruins that are home to the poor and/or havens for criminals. It doesn't exactly sound like a ideal world for capital, but I do imagine that post-Jakku the world probably received aid to help further repair it's situation.

--Adm. Nick

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    KOTOR 1 makes it clear it was the entire planet, not one city, that was bombarded: "Wipe this pathetic planet from the face of the galaxy."

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Okay, fair. It's been a bit since I've played it.

That said, even a complete bombardment wouldn't destroy the planet. It could eventually be recolonized (which, I guess, we do begin to see with SWTOR).