main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Lit From Endor to Jakku - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (TLJ Novelization Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    Nash thought they were amassing for a counterattack, but in reality they ended up fleeing. We already know that alot of Imperials died in their early attempts to enter the Unknown Regions, it was Snoke's knowledge that allowed some to survive. At the end of the day, it was survival of the fittest, and those that managed to live ended up becoming part of the First Order. A story set during those brutal early years of the Empire's remnants fighting to survive in the Unknown Regions would be VERY interesting to read.

--Adm. Nick

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    My headcanon is that Nash's fleet was discovered (either through fate or coincidence) by Corona Squadron and the crews turned over Nash and Dalven before fleeing at Rannd's orders, only to end up being destroyed by anomalies in the Unknown Regions. Nash reunites with Ciena in prison with Thane and Kendy as well (Nash is going to need tonnes of therapy - I've always felt he merely supressed very badly seeing what happened to his homeworld) while Thane tries and fails to reconcile with his brother.

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    My head canon is that Nash found out Cienna was alive and went to kill her for treason...at which point Thane beats him to death with his bare hands.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    Saw this on YouTube this morning. Basic recap, but pretty cool:

--Adm. Nick

5. sidv88

sidv88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm getting vibes now of the Sith Empire's retreat after the Great Hyperspace War in Legends. Vitiate/Tenebrae/Valkorion whatever his name is now led the Sith Empire remains on a purposely dangerous, roundabout way to Dromund Kaas, where rivals conveniently died on the way and Vitiate "saved" the Empire many times before finally landing on Dromund Kaas. Snoke could have done the same thing, "lead" the Imperial Remnant on some roundabout route, using the dangers to conveniently wipe out Sloane or whoever, make himself seem the savior until they finally settle on Ilum and turn it into Starkiller Base.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I was in a book anthology with Kevin J. Anderson, he's still writing. Hire him to do THE ESSENTIAL CANON.

Have him explain what happened with the First Order.

My headcanon is that everyone is preparing an epic mass De-Imperialization with show trials, imprisonments, executions and more until Mas Amedda surrenders with all of the Imperial officers ordered to surrender.

Which means Cienna now can cooperate.

Which INFURIATES Thane as she only does it after ordered.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 9:47 PM
    Voltron64 and AV-6R7 like this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's cool that you worked with KJA, although I think he's still kind of polarizing in fandom? A lot of people didn't agree with him doing his own thing on TOTJ (Veitch said something about Ulic being taken from him and ruined or something like that), Mara and Lando, Kyp getting off scot-free, Luke's characterization in the Jedi Academy trilogy (which some fans outright say I, Jedi was a retcon to), and the bizarre stuff like IG-88 taking over Death Star 2 which many fans feels detracts from ROTJ.

And that's not even getting into the heated debate regarding KJA's work on the Dune franchise. I myself had issue with a violent and horrifying scene in Dune: House Atreides.

Still, a 'Tales of the First Order' anthology might be a good idea, the way they had 'Tales of the Empire' or 'Tales of the New Republic' back in the day.

8. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Wildly off-topic, but CONGRATS, man. I can't imagine getting a chance to work with someone who was such a part of my childhood.

That being said, I would have said that KJA was one of the authors I wanted to keep away from the sequels...until TLJ came out. I think that movie's approach to the Force was pretty in line with Anderson.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    KJA may have his faults, but I don't think the main complaint about TLJ was what KJA would have done. KJA literally had Luke build a new Jedi Order in his trilogy, while TLJ tried to have Luke end the Jedi order forever.

10. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    ...for the first half of the movie, until he came to his senses and completely reversed his decision. Even then, he couldn't help himself from training Rey a bit, even if it was only to prove his point.The people who are mad at the movie always seem to miss that part.

Otherwise, there are echoes of the Second Imperium in the First Order, and of the Jania/Zekk dynamic in Ben/Rey. Luke is a more mischievous teacher than most of the EU wrote him. I'd have to crack LOTF open ugh [shudder], but I think TLJ's Luke might be closest to Allston's turn at the character. After all, Kylo Ren never made Luke move his feet.

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I did like that aspect of TLJ. Luke in his retirement years turns out to be a lot like Yoda during his.

Ghost likes this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm now one degree of Kevin Bacon with KJA and Ed Greenwood both.

It's a heady feeling.

But while I don't agree with all of KJA's works, I loved the Essential Chronology and while Jedi Academy wasn't entirely my cup of tea--I think it added a bunch of stuff which later books picked up on.