main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ah, I thought you might have been referring to Mon Mothma's advisors from earlier in the book.

I don't think that was a formal New Republic War Council - Melor and Agate were likely present because they commanded units in the area.

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hmm, maybe I misread that. I'll go back and check those chapters again.

3. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Some may, but I'd expect others would gladly join the NR, seeing that ot is trying to improve upon the OR. Especially since the Separatists did set up a republic in the NEU. Also, a lot of former Separatists supported the Rebellion. The one thing I see standing in the way of former Separatists joint would be the leadership of Mon Mothma; I could see many being bothered by a former OR senator being in charge. Thus is why I'd love some books like Cloak of Deception, that can show us the political state of the galaxy at this time.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Luceno's phone is ringing...

5. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I sure hope so. He would write an amazing book set after Jakku or even in the year prior to it. They should just give him a post Endor duology. It's really a rich time period for stories and thr political aspect makes Luceno a perfect choice to contribute to it.

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Luceno is like my favorite SW author and if he doesn't get to write anymore books for this franchise; then I'll probably cry.

7. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    So who has finished Aftermath?

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's hard to tell what they set up, though - the movies only referred to a Separatist Council, and as fascinating as I found the Separatist Congress (one of the best elements, in my opinion, of the CWAS), the show never returned to the concept, and no support material provided anything about it.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interestingly enough, the legitimate Separatist worlds (ie, those that had genuine grievances again the Republic) might actually find the New Republic very desirable. Afterall, if the New Republic truly corrects the corrupt parts of the old system, the former Seppies might actually become ardent supporters.

The corporate interests in the Confederacy will be unhappy regardless of who is in power, but many Seppie worlds would see the reforms in a very positive light.

--Adm. Nick

10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    True, but in the old Legacy (and FFG) material, any affiliation with the Separatists was considered to be something of an albatross, which I think would still be a reasonable assumption for the New Universe as well; I'm guessing that the average citizen of the galaxy still considers them to be the aggressors in the Clone Wars (with the exception of ex-Separatists, of course). Also, it has been pointed out that the Separatists were opposed to the Old Republic, so they might not be fans of the New Republic either.

While it's probably not something that they'll pursue in the new material, I always wondered about the possibility of former Separatists taking the initiative post-Endor to try to revive the Separatist Alliance as an alternative to the NR and Empire.

11. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    Just finished Aftermath and Lost Stars. I enjoyed both, but I really like how Lost Stars dealt with both sides of the Galactic Civil War. And it succeeded in making that conflict actually seem like a Civil War, with loved ones caught on opposite sides.

I'd be happy to talk more about both books, but I can't remember how to put up a spoiler tag.[face_blush]

12. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Yeah, and I would imagine that worlds like Onderon, which we already know is an early supporter of the Rebel Alliance, that leaned toward both the Republic and Confederacy would be pretty happy with the New Republic.

13. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    Mandalore would be interesting to explore. They were conflicted about which side to choose during the Clone Wars, but I'm betting the Empire didn't allow any planet to remain neutral. They may not be very eager to join any Galactic Government. I wonder if any planets decided to be completely independent?

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Remember that even in the EU, Rogue Squadron ceased to be for a few years. The beginning of the novel series features Wedge rebuilding the squadron from the ground up. If he was commanding Red Squadron in ROTJ, then it makes sense that he'd still be commanding it in Aftermath. The Rogues could feasibly come back later.

15. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    Lets hope so.

Abadacus likes this.
  16. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm not sure I agree with that (Rogue Squadron being retired for a while post-Endor) to be honest. There were personnel shifts, sure, in between the end of the X-Wing comics and the X-Wing novels, but there was always a fighter unit flying under the call sign Rogue Squadron...even when Wedge and company went off to fight a private war on Thyferra. I hope you're right and it's just taking a while for the Rogues to get resurrected, but in the old EU, if I remember right, they were just temporarily re-titled Red Squadron for Endor, in honor of their ancestor unit. The Rogue Leader comics right after Endor show them under the Rogue callsign immediately after.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Rogue Squadron in Legacy was temporarily disbanded about 1.5-2.5 ABE while Wedge embarked on a 'good will' tour; at the same time, Admiral Ackbar presented the Provisional Council a plan to make Rogue Squadron the 'showcase' for the New Republic.

Pfluegermeister and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, it basically did not exist between the end of the comics and the start of the novels.

Frankly, though, I do think it's possible that a film-alone interpretation could be that Red Squadron is the starfighter unit and Rogue Group is an airspeeder unit (though obviously overlapping in personnel). So it does seem possible - although I think it would be a foolish decision on Disney's part - that Rogue Squadron, the X-Wing unit, doesn't exist in the new continuity.

Abadacus and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was thinking this too. Another possibility is that Rogue Squadron is a group of pilots who often fly together while Red Squadron and Rogue Group are callsigns used in battles.

20. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Oh, hunh, I'd no idea it had taken that long. Divvying up Rogue and Red in between aircraft and starfighters...could work if the guys are cross-trained, I guess? But Rogue Squadron the X-Wing unit is such a recognizable part of Star Wars, even among casual fans to a degree, that leaving it out entirely is a bit perplexing.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It'd be a bummer, and Rogue Squadron has been mentioned in canonical sources before, but it is entirely possible that in actual canon stories they'll just use colored squadrons only and "Rogue Group" will be a speeder or commando group which incidentally crosses over with Red Squadron occasionally. From what we've seen of Episode VII products like card games and toys, the squadrons are still designated by color in the Resistance–specifically Blue Squadron and Black Squadron.

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, they're clearly well aware of the starfighter fandom, what with making one of the apparent ST Big 3 a X-Wing pilot, stories like Blade Squadron, and all (not to mention that arguably one reason for criticism of Aftermath has been that the advertising tricked people into thinking Wedge would have a bigger role than he did). But the decision to use the Rogue One name for a film that appears to be about commandos does suggest that they might not consider the specific Rogue Squadron "brand" that important, unfortunately.

Abadacus likes this.
  23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    It's hard for me to make sense of the idea that the New Republic is composed of primarily of non Outer Rim worlds. Considering what we're shown in Star Wars: Rebels and the big deal the Emperor makes about conquering the Outer Rim in the Darth Vader comic series, I would think the Outer Rim would be a prime recruiting ground for the NR. Huh

Abadacus likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, that is strange. I can readily accept Mon Calamari being moved out of the Outer Rim; the original concept of it being discovered during Imperial times was abandoned a long time ago. But more broadly, the Rim still seems like a ripe breeding ground for rebel sentiment.

Abadacus likes this.
  25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Legends wise? Depends on which Outer Rim. The North, particularly the New Territories, are solidly Imperial. The South and the East would be where NR gets most of it's support. Some of the Mid Rim too. The Core, as we all know, just goes wherever the power is. I'd love for them to establish a 'Merchant States of the Core' or some such though, basically going 'kark off' to ideologically driven governments like the Empire and the Republic. Corellia largely helped build galactic government and seceded from it and isolated itself from it multiple times, so why not the Core as a whole?