main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From Mute City to Port Town, From Big Blue to Firefield: The F-Zero Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As a followup sidenote- there's also "hidden" car parts and pilots that can only be accessed through the arcade F-Zero game after completing story mode levels on the two harder settings.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ahahahaha!

I was just trying to complete the Emerald Cup on Standard setting, and was on the final track, Big Blue: Ordeal, on my last car (damn you, Lightning: Half Pipe!), on the final stretch (where it's a very thin strip and you can get bumped around alot if your boosting with other cars around you) and as I boost and collide with a few cars and rails, I watch in horror as my energy meter drops to zero and some kind of impact flings me off the course as I begin to explode- but I crossed the finish line before I blew up- and it counted!

Woo-hoo! Diamond Cup, here I come!

BTW- anyone else wonder why everyone is seemingly doing flexing exercises on F-Zero TV? [face_batting]

3. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I just picked up the game a couple of days ago, and I must say it is pretty enjoyable.

Any recommendations on cars to choose or build?

I started out with the one Pico drives, but was barely managing to do okay on the Novice Grand Prix levels. I switched to Blue Falcon and have had a much eaiser time in Grand Prix.

Also, when you look at cars to buy, there is an indicator for seeing the Acceleration-Max Speed-Body-Grip stats. Is there any way to look at this when choosing a car for a race, or at all for the original 4 cars?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have done quite well with Blue Falcon during GP mode, myself.

The BBG rating should be visible when selecting a car.

I recently made a custom car that recieved an AAB rating...however it was so heavy and fast that it couldn't turn very well and I'd quite often go flying off the track.

5. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm not talking about the BBG rating, there is a circle with a green figure that indicates stats like max speed, acceleration, body and grip. Check it out in the section for buying pilot cars.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh that thing...I don't think you can see it in GP mode (unless it's visible on the Accerlation/Max Speed menu prior to a race, not sure though).

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I have a question that might seem stupid. What's the difference between max speed and acceleration? Does favoring the former cause your car to reach higher speeds? If so, what the hell does the latter do?

8. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Good acceleration means your "car" can reach its top speed in a shorter amount of time, and max speed is just the highest speed achievable.

9. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Oh that thing...I don't think you can see it in GP mode (unless it's visible on the Accerlation/Max Speed menu prior to a race, not sure though).

I think this thing is extremely valuable, but there is no way to view it for the original four cars so as to compare it to other cars.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So acceleration is better, then? Especially for the 2nd chapter in story mode?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>What's the difference between max speed and acceleration?<<

Acceleration will get you moving to your max speed faster, but your max speed itself will be lower.

Max speed will have you taking longer to get to your max speed, but your max speed itself will be higher.

It's good to customize based on the level type. If your gonna be taking alot of turns or avoiding obstacles, or might be bumping into things alot (thus requiring you to accelerate again), you may want more acceleration.
    If there's alot of straightaways and such, you'll probably want more max speed to outrace your opponent.

It also depends on your car- if your car has a very high max speed and weighs alot, you might want to gear it towards acceleration so that it gets moving faster and is less likely to fling itself off the track from sheer velocity.

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't know how to win the second chapter! :_|

13. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I smashed the other driver into a rock.

I spent a lot of time trying to beat it - as well as number 3.

It's refreshing to play a game that isn't made to be easy.

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    How do you use the attack buttons effectively?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still can't beat that 3rd Chapter- I love the fact that this mode can be a "bitch of a game" (IGN).

The 2nd Chapter is fairly easy- save your boost for later in the race, and stick to the left side of the track for the most part- most of boulders will have a small gap between them and the track edge that you can go through easily. But the smaller rocks you gotta dodge, and there is one or two instances where that gap isn't there, so stay alert, but that tactic works for the most part.

Once you get towards the end, just boost your way past Goroh.

16. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Chapter 3 was pretty rough. I'll give you my strategy:

I had my settings to about 3/4 of the way to max speed.

Learn the track really well. Learn where all the ramps are and how to hit them all to jump corners. You should be able to avoid hitting the rails completely.

Once you are practiced and feel ready, if you screw up too badly to recover, just jump off the ledge to end it quickly. There's probably enough room for one medium error, or two smaller errors. I would sometimes anticipate the turns too early and ram into the inside corner - this is practically impossible to recover from.

If you are not good enough to make it into first place in the first lap by the time of the last ramp, you need more practice. By the end of the first lap you should be in first place, although not by much, and you will fight for the lead staying at least 3rd for the next two laps. Boosting like mad in the last straightaway to push into first - I barely scraped by when I won.

At the very start you can go through the first three turns without actually needing to make turns by staying near the inside corner of each turn - only minimal adjustment are required. This is a good place to boost 2 or 3 times when you have boost ability.

All ramps are good places too boost, except the at the end of the gravelly straightaway, since if you boost on that ramp, you will overshoot and miss the next (and last) ramp.

4 main straightaways to boost are the one leading up to the first ramp, the area leading up to the second ramp with the regeneration strip, the gravelly straightaway, the straightaway leading to the finish line and keep boosting into the first 3 "turns" as mentioned above.

The last three turns (hard right, hard right, hard left) are the most difficult part to avoid hitting the rails and avoid losing too much speed.

After this I'm taking a break from story mode to play more Grand Prix.

Have any of you managed to win any expert Grand Prix yet? I can't get close yet even in Ruby. Any car recommnedations for expert?

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    But Goroh uses his boosts right from the beginning and gets so far ahead. :(

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry, you'll catch up to Goroh- especially on teh initial easy setting.

19. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Are there multiple difficulty settings in story mode?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, but I think they don't become available until after you beat the first time (presumably the first time is default to the easy setting). But you can replay them at harder difficulty levels.

21. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Since I only barely scrape by on this setting, I think it is unlikely I will make through the medium setting.

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I just picked this game up a few days ago and so far I really like it.

23. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Is it just me, or is the last race in the Sapphire Cup a real pain in the butt? I can get first place, or near first place (Novice) in all the other races, but this one just messes me up. I fly off the track all the time on that last jump.

24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Can you gain currency by redoing races you've already won?

25. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Yes, you can redo Grand Prix cups many times and still get paid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.