main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From Space Slug to Sarlaac

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_john_33, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Through my experience in the Trivia Game, I learned that the Space Slug lives on asteroids, reproduces through fission and are silicon based.

Is the Sarlaac a distant relative of the Space Slug? And, are there more than one Sarlaac on Tatooine? Are there Sarlaac on other planets?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Sarlacci reproduce via spores that travel across space, searching for planets to take root on.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    There is a Sarlacc on the Oovo IV penal asteroid.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In the Bounty Hunter game, there is a different Sarlacc pit on Tatooine that Jango gets a chance to fall into. Since Sarlacci are long-lived ('digesting their prey over thousands of years') and the one on Tatooine seems pretty mature when Boba encounters it, one might assume this is another feeding hole for the same creature (or there is more than one Sarlacc on Tatooine).

5. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    How are Sarlaaci and Space Slugs able to live so long without much food? (I'd imagine the Space Slug barely gets any sustenance.)

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    They have very slow metabolisms.

7. Obi-Wan_and_only

Obi-Wan_and_only Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2001
    There's no bacteria in space, so they won't decompose. So my guess is they basically go in to hibernation until a meal comes along. They might only eat every few decades.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Spaceslugs actually eat mynocks and mineral-rich asteroids. But they're not averse to eating the occasional passing YT-1300 freighter.

9. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    maybe it is like a treat, kinda like an Oreo cookie

10. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Sarlacci reproduce via spores that travel across space, searching for planets to take root on

Are they actually "looking" or are they hurtling through space like meteors?

As to the Space Slugs, I still would love to know how humans can walk around inside them with no sort of pressurized suit on. That has always troubled me.

11. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    vw_jedi: This is Star Wars you're talking about; you have to either embrace and accept it or let it trouble you for years to come.

As for the Space Slug and Sarlaac, thanks for enlightening me. I had no idea :eek:

12. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    vw_jedi: This is Star Wars you're talking about; you have to either embrace and accept it or let it trouble you for years to come.

[mumbles] Errr ummm....yeeeah, suspend your disbelief... meh...[/mumbles]

13. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    personally, i think the slug's immense size, how far the falcon was in there and the insulation for heat and a pocket of "earth" if you will, allowed them to survive. The Space Slug produced an artifical place for living.

14. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    That still doesn't account for the vacum of space. But as I said above I am able to suspend my disbelief. But I still think it's one of the sillier things in the OT.

15. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    In Star Wars Tales Vol. 2 is a neat story about the Sarlacc.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    'Tales' aren't canon, but you're right - it is a good story.

17. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    In Star Wars Tales Vol. 2 is a neat story about the Sarlacc.

I don't think I'll ever read that, but do you think you could give us a quick summary of what happens with the Sarlaac (just a couple sentences). Is it the same Sarlaac in ROTJ?

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, it's called 'Fortune, Fate and the Natural History of the Sarlacc'. It's mostly pictures and covers the birth of a new Sarlacc. The framing story starts with Jabba's Sailbarge and its usual motley crew (including Boba Fett) depositing one Grubbat Fhilch into a Sarlacc Pit. Fhilch's last words are to put a curse on Boba Fett for delivering him to Hutt justice. Fhilch then gets deposited in the Pit. The following frames show a spore breaking away from the Sarlacc in that Pit, and the process of the spore becoming a new Sarlacc. The end frames show Jabba's sailbarge approaching the new Sarlacc Pit (with the usual motley crew, including Fett) and it is the scene from ROTJ
    with Luke and Leia. It ends with 'You know the rest of the story..and so Grubbat Fhilch had his revenge that day..however unlikely'. The second-to-last frame is of Boba Fett, and the end frame is the open mouth of the Sarlacc.

19. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Yeah, that about sums it up...

20. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Thanks for that very descriptive summary, LAJ_Fett. Even though it's not canon, it does sound kind of fascinating, especially with the spores. I wonder if they float in the air looking for a place to situate itself, or does the spore have a "life of its own" and can control where it flies and lands?

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    From the pictures it looks like the 'spore' can direct its flight, at least until it gets to its first food source. Then it starts to change as it eats from a spore to a rather more plant-like creature. It looks like it loses the power of flight at this point. It travels from animal to animal, devouring some or all of them and getting larger. In the comic it shows it going from an animal to water when small. A Jawa child puts it in a fishbowl container. It jumps out and finds a new host which can fly. After devouring that, it is stepped on by another critter which it eats. It then changes to develop the beaked mouth and at that point it makes its pit with most of its body undergound.

22. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    is the sarlacc just one long worm, or does it branch out under ground in a dendritic pattern?

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    In the Tales story, the main part (with the beak) looks like a giant worm. However the
    body has a long tentacled 'tail' section that is buried underground. In the 'Bounty Hunter Wars' book 'Mandalorian Armor' the story describes how Fett, Dengar and Neelah came upon part of the sarlacc underground that was still living and a fair bit away from the main dead part.
    Also - see here for some of the art from the Tales story.

24. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Has anyone seen the Sarlacc that is in the asteroid in the Episode 1 Podracing game?

25. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    which one? Episode 1 Racer for n64?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.