main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by thejeditraitor, May 7, 2014.

1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I just started watching this the other day, thanks! I will finish it this week.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    what's great is there's a whole lot of stuff on their youtube channel that they ran in the 80's and 90's that hasn't been seen in forever. check it out.

purplerain and whostheBossk like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, I remember this from when it was on HBO in 86-87.

Trebor Sabreon and purplerain like this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I remember watching this back when it was first aired on PBS. To this day, I still figure Mark Hamill is the guy who should narrate every "making of" special.

For the full effect, look for "The Making of STAR WARS" (narrated by William Conrad) and "SPFX: The Making of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK".

And for those who haven't seen this one before, there's a later bit involving one of Jabba's cronies that's really funny.

Palpatine77 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  6. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    "Hey, Edgar, what'd you bring me to a place like this for?!" Salicious B. Crumb, with a New York accent? Priceless.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hello in Tvland.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  8. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I remember the Sci-Fi channel (prior to becoming the Syfy channel...) used to always show this doc. It'd usually be early in the morning prior to a good ol' Star Wars marathon. I'll have to sit and watch this again when I have time.

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I remember watching this as a child when it first aired back in 1983.

It's terrific fun! In fact, I find that it's probably only surpassed by Empire of Dreams as a Star Wars documentary. Still, the more in-depth look at ROTJ From Star Wars to Jedi offers probably makes make it my favorite SW doc to sit and watch.

I remember hoping this would be included as an extra in the blu ray release of the Saga a few years ago, and I'm awfully glad to see the official Star Wars youtube page sharing it now. I strongly encourage any SW fan who hasn't watched this yet to check it out when you've got the time.

thejeditraitor and Palpatine77 like this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Oh, and regarding "The Making of STAR WARS", it's well worth seeing if only for Mark Hamill's comment on the Luke/Han/Leia relationship.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  11. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    I, too, watched it and recorded it on VHS on its first PBS airing in late '83, and watched it countless times.

For many years afterward, I could not watch the final Death Star trench run in Star Wars without hearing Mark Hamill's commentary in From Star Wars To Jedi running through my head. I know that must sound weird to some, but keep in mind Return of the Jedi didn't release on video until January, 1986, and the sale price back then was a staggering $80!!!! I was just in my early teens, yet because I was a huge Star Wars fan I was able to collect that $80 together and purchase ROTJ the first day of release in early '86. Because, that's what 14-year-old diehard Star Wars fans do. With that in mind, having videotaped the From Star Wars To Jedi documentary off of the local PBS channel in late '83 onto a black VHS cassette, I had already watched that doc countless times already, and Hamill's trench run commentary was locked forever into my brain. It doesn't get much better than that.

Needless to say, the From Star Wars To Jedi: The Making Of A Saga documentary has a very special place in my heart, along with a few other Star Wars fans here, I suspect.

12. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Great documentary. Watched it on TV when it was first broadcast, and then bought the VHS edition when it was released .

13. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I remember this on PBS (channel 13 for all of you NY'ers) in 1983. What a great documentary! I taped it as a kid and must have watched it a hundred times.

whostheBossk likes this.