main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of the Trilogy"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by bobasho, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobasho

bobasho Jedi Master star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    I just found this on tape at a used video store the other day. I bought it for 7 bucks. It has a couple of interviews with GL and some brief comments from others (Ben Burt, puppeteers, etc.). It was made in 1987 and it is narrated by Mark Hamill. The whole thing is a little over an hour and it is very interesting. I was surprised not to find it here on these boards and wonder if it is a rare tape. IS anyone familiar with it or seen it?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DARTH_2002

DARTH_2002 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    I have seen it, I have it as well it came with my SW letterbox coll Ed box set which came out around 90-91. It is a nice documentary and has part of the original Jabba scene from ANH on it with the man playing Jabba.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't consider it rare- it was released several imes; most prominently during the 1990/91 VHS trilogy release period, as a seperate purchase (though it was advertised prior to each film) and included with the first VHS letterbox release.

It was a good documentary- the behind the scenes stuff was neat, as is seeing the ANH Jabba scene sans the CGI and any voiceovers.

The stuff with Salacious was fun too ("Hello...in..TV Land....").

Though it should be noted that it is because of this documentary (made by CBS) that the master tape of Max Rebo Sail Barge music was lost while on-loan to CBS to use as background music, and this is why the piee of music does not appear on any soundtrack release.

4. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    It's definitely not rare. It's the most common Star Wars documentary out there, I'd say. It's a good one, but is clearly focused on RotJ, despite a few bits about the other 2 flicks.

Thanks VERY much 2ndQuest for the info on that Max Rebo piece. I've always wondered about, and pined for, that missing track. Sigh. Do you know where you learned that?

Also, a great moment is when we hear the awful English lyrics, by Williams's son if I recall, to Lapti Nek, "I'm shaping up and working out..."

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Do you know where you learned that?<<

I can't say for certain, but I believe it came up in discussions revolving around the initial release of the Special Edition soundtracks. Either that or an issue of the Insider from around the same period of time.

6. bobasho

bobasho Jedi Master star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    It was decent, but you are right, it really did focus on ROTJ alot, which was a little disappointing. Iam assuming that this will be incorporated into the "Extra Features" when the OT DVDs come out. Any thoughts on where/how they will use it? Anyone know of any other good documentaries i can get my hands on? I can't wait for the OT to come out on DVD and i need extra features-type stuff to get my SW fix!

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Theres "The Making of Star Wars", for one.

There's some good behind-the-scenes stuff on the Definitive Edition laserdisc set also, including interviews, screen to storyboard comparisons, Lapti Nek music video, etc.

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Is there a was either to get Star Wars to Jedi and the making of Star Wars on PAL
    VHS tapes or DVD somewhere?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if you found FSWTJ on PAL, since it's last release was timed with the rerelease of the trilogy in the early 90's, though I'm not so sure about the MOSW, since that one was last released as a Kellogs mail-in, and I'd imagine those offers could vary depending on your location.

10. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Very good documentary

I also thought the Salacious Crumb getting in the box thing was fun

11. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    My copy is so old it's not even funny. I have it recorded from it's original 1983 premiere and have watched it so many times I'm surprised the tape is still capable of holding together as a solid. haha!! I'm hoping it's included on the ROTJ DVD.

I always loved the "Tell him" bit where Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are rehearsing and keep say "Tell him." Carrie Fisher goes, "Oh, can I do it, too?" and without missing a beat they both go, "No."

And the speeder bike chase demo test with action figures (and Boba Fett standing in as the escaping speeder biker) is a highlight.

12. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    I've got a copy on Beta.

D'oh!

The Picnic :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.