main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From TFN's review of Wildlife of Star Wars:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Sep 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Whitlatch and Carrau also take some of the creatures from the movies and greatly expand on them. For example, did you know that the Bantha has a long, elephant-trunk-like tongue? Did you know a Krayt dragon has 10 legs? That dewbacks can run incredibly fast when motivated? You also get to see what a womp rat looks like, what animals gungans get their horns from, and what animals were made extinct when Alderaan blew up. Highlights also include glimpses of the space slug below the rock, the Sarlaac below the sand, and more.

Banthas were elephants, so this is unsurprising. Previous pics of Krayt dragons had them with less than ten legs, so this is upsetting. Yes, we knew dewbacks can run fast. We've seen womp rats before, and allso seen the Sarlacc below the sand.

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    What pictures of Krayt dragons? There was that old concept painting that's been in a few books, but dose that really count?

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Krayt dragons only have 4 legs. see comics, and technical journal, Someone or many someones at lfl is a dolt. Infact they have been making many infractions as of late, all over the board, from DH, to del rey.

Well,it must be a racial varition of the krayt dragon's subspecies.

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    In comics and in the galaxies game...

5. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I sense a great disturbance in the continuity...

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Banthas were elephants for the filming of ANH...But they sure as hell don't have trunks in the EU, or movies, from what we see.

Must be another racial variation.

Go LFL!

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    LFL is going to pot.

There is a 4 legged krayt dragon in and on the cover of JJK book 3 as well.

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    This book was obviously created for the casual fan as a pretty picture book of cretures from the movies and beyond. I
    My question, is it worth the money to get it? Sure, it has nice drawings but do I want to pay a lot for just that?

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The Bantha has a long has a long, elephant-trunk-like tongue. TONGUE! Not trunk. Nothing wrong there.

Maybe Krayt dragons grow more legs as they get older?

TC

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, a racial variation on a bantha or Krayt Dragon is an easy enough fix. There's dozens of official racial variations of banthas anyway...from Tatooine to Endor and Talasea.

We know of some Krayt Dragon variations, including it's cousin from Dark Forces, the Kell Dragon.

11. Scott

Scott TFN Founder star 2 VIP

Jun 25, 2000
    There are several pictures of the Krayt dragon. The fully grown adult one has the 10 legs. However, younger versions have the 4 legs like in the Ralph McQuarrie pictures.

As for Mastadges comments, yes, we knew Dewbacks could run fast, but Whitlatch has a picture of their running sequence.

Yes, we've seen a shot of the Sarlaac below the sand before, but this is MUCH more detailed. You see a male Sarlaac below the sand, parasites attached to the teeth, etc etc etc. The Sarlaac is like a whole ecosystem on its own.

Most of the stuff we have previously seen in shown again in greater detail.

Scott

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Dewbacks are pretty fast in the Galactic Battlegrounds game.

13. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Not when you group them with all your other slow stuff. :( Formations... ugg. ;)

I'll try and find this book for discount someplace.

14. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >There are several pictures of the Krayt dragon. The fully grown adult one has the 10 legs. >However, younger versions have the 4 legs like in the Ralph McQuarrie pictures.

Ha ha! I called it first! Do I win something? :D

>There's dozens of official racial variations of banthas anyway...from Tatooine to Endor and >Talasea.

ARRRGG! It says that the Bantha's tongues are like trunks. Where is this contradicted? Why do we need another racial variation?

TC

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    TC, considering that there has been other sources, that say that full grown krayt dragons have been found. That only have 4 legs.

EG to alien species says that they live to be 100 years old, and walk on 4 legs.

There are other variations of krayt's though the kell dragon is related to krayts.

As well, as I remember the Tech. Journal mentioned that a full grown krayt skeleton is kept in the museum of tatooine, that only had 4 legs.

Plus a few more sources after that, as I remember.

So we could very easily see another species or mutant variety of krayt that develops more legs as it ages. But it isn't the same krayt as seen in the EG to aliens, or other sources.

16. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >So we could very easily see another species or mutant variety of krayt that develops more legs as >it ages. But it isn't the same krayt as seen in the EG to aliens, or other sources.

Perhaps the four-legged adult is the mutant? Or the male has ten and the female four?

TC

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Or the male has ten and the female four?"

I prefer your latter fix, actually. Considering the fact we've only seen females in the sources that I'm awhare. I like the thought that the Male would be more masculine, and unique, with it's own biological differences.

18. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Ok, sounds good to me. :)

TC

19. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
  20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yep, I'm glad about that.

TOS also has stuff on it, as well as tieing in the Kell Dragons.

21. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Well then why did it take me so long to find this out?! This is the first I've heard.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I think it's a very new update.

23. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.