From the Jedi Library

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh, PA' started by BrendonWahlberg, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    Do you mean in general,or spicifically the one that Luke had in the Holiday Spec?
  2. jaster_meerle Jedi Knight

star 3
    ohh yes lightsabers would be cool!!
  3. BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm thinking, like, a little history of lightsabers - what they were in the earliest versions, how they were described in the older sources. Is that what you guys want?
  4. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Any lightsaber info would be cool. Like I didn't know that stuff you mentioned earlier that at one point lightsabers were going to be a common as blasters in GFFA . . .

I LIKE the Holiday Special. It is hysterical!!! Its like watching MT3000, but without the sarcastic robots and Professor BoBo (Although we do have R2 and Itchy ;) )

Oh, and G2Jedi. LOL at the "teachers lead to" sig :D
  5. G2Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    thanx man.
    any info bout lightsabers would be cool, but i was wondering if you could post the SW insider 62 fightsaber article? thanks!
  6. BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master

star 2
    I've been really busy lately, so I still have to put together a piece on early lightsaber info.

As for very recent magazine information, I'd rather not transcribe and post it - I don't really know how to type according to any correct method, and my typing is therefore a bit slow. Plus, the point here is to dig up old, obscure, or out of print information of interest.

-Brendon
  7. jaster_meerle Jedi Knight

star 3
  8. G2Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    oh, well, thanx any way. did i mentioned that i loved ur fanfics?
  9. BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master

star 2
    Here is what I found on the development of lightsabers in the earliest sources - the script drafts. The first appearance of a lightsaber has it called something else: a lazer sword. (Note young Anakin calls it that in TPM). Here are two excerpts from:

"THE STAR WARS" May, 1973 Story Synopsis BY GEORGE LUCAS

"The murky little den is filled with a startling array of weird and erotic [sic] Aliens laughing and drinking at the bar. The bureaucrat and the boy are both terrified as the general orders two drinks and questions the bartender about the rebel contact man. A group of bullies begin to taunt and ridicule the boy. Skywalker attempts to avoid a confrontation, but worse comes to worse, and he is forced to fight. With a flash of light, his lazer sword is out. An are lies on the ground, one of the bullies lies double, slashed from chin to groin and Skywalker, with quiet dignity, replaces his sword in its sheath. The entire fight has lasted a matter of seconds."

"Skywalker and the Alien stand surveying each other. The Alien makes a lunge, the general counters, and the fight begins. A desperate fight ensues, but eventually Skywalker wins by cutting the Alien in half with his lazer sword. At this, all the Aliens worked into a frenzy mob, carry the general off and throw him over a thousand foot crevasse into a boiling lake."

So, we can see from the start that lazer swords flash with light, cut flesh easily, and cut people in half (as Darth Maul is in TPM). But how is a lazer sword replaced in its sheath? I recall the scene in TPM where Qui-Gon makes a very fast motion very much like sheathing a sword when he replaces his saber at his belt after fighting battle droids. (Either that, or the lazer swords were physical blades that were energized, but I doubt it).

Moving on to the first draft:

THE STAR WARS BY GEORGE LUCAS ROUGH DRAFT LUCASFILM LTD. 5/74

Here are some quotes from the draft:

"Annikin is strapping on a utility belt with chrome lazerpistols and lazersword. Kane rises and starts for his equipment."

Note that weapons were often chrome, a valuable substance that may be a reference to Lucas' auto racing days. Also note that Jedi carried both guns and swords.

Here is the first time a lazersword duel occurs:

"Before either of the two young boys can react, a large, sinister SITH warrior in black robes and a face mask looms over them. He carries a long lazersword which cuts young Deak down before he or his brother are able to raise their weapons. The startled Annikin backs away in horror, then settles down and ignites his lazersword, which creates an eerie red glow. He stumbles over rocks as he attempts to avoid the charging SITH knight. The evil warrior swings his mighty lazersword, but Annikin manages to deflect the intended deathblow. Finally, Annikin is able to assume a defensive stance, and the two warriors stand, sizing up each other. The black knight is at least seven feet tall, and dwarfs the young JEDI. They stand for a few moments, almost frozen, then in a flurry of blows, lazerswords clash with the sound of electric snapping and popping. Annikin is barely able to hold his own against the experienced knight. Many blows are exchanged before the SITH warrior is able to back Annikin up against a deep crevasse. Annikin stumbles and almost falls over the cliff to his death. The black knight suddenly senses something behind him and whirls around to face Annikin's father, Kane Starkiller, a Jedi Bendu master. The Sith warrior raises his lazersword, but is cut in two before he can bring it down again. Kane moves to the fallen black knight, and studies him carefully."

Note that a red blade does not mean a bad guy yet. The blades are clearly energy blades, and we already "hear" the signature sounds of the weapon. Lazerswords don't cut other lazerswords, it seems.

In this section, there's a description of the blade length, size of the handle, and speed of activation.

"The general lets him stand there for a moment, not acknowledging his presence; then, suddenly, witho
  10. RebelDawn Jedi Master

star 4
    All I can say is: Wow!! I don't know where you get all this information. But I'm really glad that you share it with us. I didn't know about this Montross person. I'm impressed with your amount of knowledge :D

11. BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master

star 2
    You can read the old scripts for yourself at the Starkiller link in my signature.

Montross is the science officer buddy of Han and Chewie in the second draft. Yes, it was a threesome. I also used him in my fanfic script set in the universe of that draft.

-Brendon
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.