main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST From what you know now, which aspects about TFA have you most excited and which leave you flat?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    For me.

Excited for: the newer updated versions of the older original Star Wars music, Chewie and Han
    movie falling flat: Phasma ending up as a big overblown wanna be Boba Fett character who does nothing except look "cool" in armor and a cape, the lack of more info about Max Von Sydow's role and the overhype of Andy Serkis and Snope. Sorry but I cant stand Andy Serkis

2. Bigger Fish

Bigger Fish Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Most excited:

Kylo Ren
    Han Solo

Least excited:

Han Solo rumor.

3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Most Excite
    Everything else

Least Excite
    Han go bye bye

Jaxxon- and Bigger Fish like this.
  4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Excited:

--Rey and Finn's characters and the potential chemistry between them (love everything I've seen with these actors in both the film footage and in interviews, etc.). Also the fact that apparently Rey is the main character and (hopefully) Finn is an important lead too.

--Seeing Han, Leia, and Luke (however briefly) again. Han looks so good in all the trailer/TV footage I've seen and seems like the Han we remember yet, with some meaningful new dimensions to his character! (I loved the "It's true...all of it" moment from the trailer!)

--New John Williams music and (hopefully) new takes on old musical themes at key moments

--BB-8 (yes, cute overload!)

--seeing ships flying/combat action in non-space environments (over water, through trees, etc.)

--seeing the Falcon in action again

--new lightsaber design

--visuals I've seen so far look good

Flat:

--having Stormtroopers again

--rumors about the plot being a safe ANH "rehash"/reboot rather than something that will expand the overall saga/the mythology

--Kylo's appearance (his mask mouthpiece just looks silly to me, not threatening or ominous)

--another "super weapon"

--Abrams as director

--possible lack of interesting new planets

biggest thing to leave me flat: --indications (though still with some contradictory elements based on various competing speculations) of a lack of meaningful GL input in terms of essential story elements (related concern over implications of GL comment that SW "is about family relationships, not spaceships," making me wonder if the Skywalker family element is somehow not going to be as prominent as it should be despite the expectation that Rey will be a Skywalker?)

In between: Han dying (could be a strong element that will pack a worthwhile emotional wallop depending on how it's done)

5. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Flat: All the obnoxious "practical effects" talk has me worried, I'll be thinking, "It's a dude in a rubber suit" instead of of, "Okay, aliens and creatures!".
    Excited: everything else.

6. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Flat - Starkiller Base being basically the next Death Star.
    Excited - everything else

So on balance - Star Wars **** yeah!

7. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Excited: Pretty much everything.

Flat: I'm just SLIGHTLY concerned about BB-8. So far, what we've seen has been great, but I just worry that if the filmmakers are TOO enamored with him, they might over-use him, and then he goes from being funny/cute to being a bit overbearing/obnoxious. Hopefully that won't happen.

Hernalt and Pensivia like this.
  8. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Like Lucas with Jar Jar Binks, yeah, it'd be wierd to see history repeat itself that way.

9. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

Yeah, as much as I've loved him at first sight in the teaser, I can also see how his "cute factor" could also be over-done.

I also wonder if he will seem too similar to R2 (character-wise). And as a big R2 fan, I still want him to have a few key moments himself and wouldn't want him to be completely over-shadowed by BB-8...ah, such wonderfully :-B-y concerns I have!:p

10. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Excited for all the new characters including Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, Maz

Worried of flatness from the probable convoluted way Finn and Rey meet Han and Chewie.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Excited-Seeing the OT characters, ships, droids and such on screen again. Seeing the ST generation.
    Flat-No EU characters or plotlines.

12. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    I'm pretty worried about how much they seem to be ripping off ANH. But I can live with it as long as it's well done.

Hernalt likes this.
  13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Most Excited: the production and casting. Practical effects, costumed storm troopers, actual sets, classic cast, and some of the CGI does look pretty neat.

Flat: honestly, parts of the story. The presence of the Vader helmet has me worried because I cannot fathom why it is there, how it was found or why someone would want it. But, when interpreted with the rumours concerning a reincarnation, it worries me. Of course, I don't believe the rumours but their persistence still concerns me. Everything is in place to make this film good, just let the writing be strong.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm actually astounded that nothing has fallen flat or rubbed me the wrong way so far, considering my first thought upon hearing they would be doing Episode VII was "Oh my god I can't believe this is happening," but my second was "There are so many ways this could go wrong."

15. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    Flat: not enough familiar aliens, locations that are too similar to planets in other films
    Excited: literally everything else

Darth Doop likes this.
  16. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Excited: the new characters, Rey and Finn especially. I love the idea of a heroine as the lead character and I love the idea of a Stormtrooper with a conscience who becomes a hero. Very excited to see all of the OT gang again, Luke especially.

Flat: Very worried about Luke's small role, how it is justified and what that means for the character in the future. The anti-PT prejudice really rubs me wrong too-they had an opportunity here to bring the fanbase together and they've wasted it. Both of those I hope to see rectified in VIII, and it is for those reasons that I am looking forward to it more than I am to TFA.

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Excited: New concepts and new ideas.

Flat: Potential EU like preoccupation with genetic lineage rather than characters standing on their own two feet. A character being related to my favorite character has never made me like them in the past.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  18. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    What has me excited is the idea of them building the starkiller base at the very source of the death stars power and if the planet is destroyed, that means no more death star like superweapons ever again

Pensivia and Darth Nerdling like this.
  19. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Yeah. Where are the rodians or bothans or any other species we've seen before?

Bennihana likes this.
  20. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    JJ says he used his Star Wars consultant to inform him on expanded universe as well. So there's a chance

21. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I'm mostly excited about Goss Toowers:

[​IMG]

22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Excited: grandchildren, wacky aliens, less cgi, strong female lead, JW score

Flat: Skywalker lightsaber, no Luke/Han scene except for flashback, desert planet that looks like Tatooine but isn't

23. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Flat:
    Maz
    The muppet show creatures
    Starkiller Base
    First Order/Resistance dynamic
    Jakku aka Tatoonie 2
    D'Qar aka Yavin 2
    No George
    JJ

Excited:
    John Williams
    Kylo
    Han's death
    Knights of Ren

24. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Goss is the key to all this

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  25. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Things that have me excited:
    --the casting and I'm betting the performances will be good
    --the combination of CGI and practical effects
    --JJ seems to have pretty much continued the cinematic style of the Saga
    --probably some cool new species
    --Han, Leia, and Luke being separated -- not stuck at the hip for the last 30 years
    --the state of galaxy (as I understand it): The New Republic controls a large area; the 1st Order controls other territory; the Resistance is an underground movement within the 1st Order's territory
    --giving Han the lead role of the Big 3 and having him wiser
    --stormtroopers actually looking effective
    --BB-8: a fun character that seems to work for kids and adults
    --JJ is pretty good at staging action sequences (although he's not as good at integrating them into the plot).
    --JJ's decision to slow down and not use his typical frantic pace
    --that the film seems to set up Ep. 8 and what Rian Johnson will be doing (unless they bring back the super-weapon!)
    --seeing Snoke!
    --the possible connection to the Rakata and perhaps even Revan
    --that the film seems to have the same sincerity of the other Star Wars films (not the nudge-nudge wink-wink slight self-parody of films like Guardians of the Galaxy as that doesn't fit SW)
    --learning the rumored secondary character from the PT who's on Jakku
    --the rumored "Scooby-Doo" ending with the double-mask reveal of Snoke's identity
    --the fact that even if I don't think TFA is great, other people, especially that a portion of the new generation of kids will!

Things that I'm perfectly okay with:
    --that Luke doesn't appear much in the film
    --that Han will die
    --the Maz seance
    --Captain Phasma looking cool just for the sake of looking cool
    --Kylo's saber: I like how it sparks but not the cross-guard

Things that leave me flat:
    --3rd Super-weapon. I never want to see a Super-weapon again. It's narratively boring to me, and we know how it'll end: weapon being destroyed or severely damaged (only to be destroyed in a sequel, and I won't want to see it there either!:p )
    --bad guys organized the same way and apparently with similar goals as those in 4-6: 1st Order led by a Force-user, with an apprentice, whose goal seems to be galactic conquest. Why not make 1st Order 1 foe and the bad Force-users a 2nd foe, and each has different goals--a maybe neither of those goals be galactic conquest? (We don't know much about Snoke, so perhaps this is possible.)
    --not using interesting new earthly locales or CGI/practical effects created locales or new cool ship designs
    --a MacGuffin that's not compelling enough
    --unsatisfactory ending (connected to MacGuffin problem, which might be somewhat alleviated if a certain rumor is true)
    --seemingly too much action/not enough character development, which is my tentative impression from the MSW summary and the shooting schedule script.
    --people getting captured/escaping (Rebels/TCW has ruined this for me. They re-use this storyline way too much.)
    --far too many plot points shared between TFA and ANH in the 1st and 3rd acts!
    --that they're not taking it in very creative narrative directions or developing the mythology (but it could set up Johnson to take a more unconventional path)
    --that George doesn't seem that happy with it

Hernalt, Pensivia and Darth Doop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.