main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Yavin To Endor...Is there a day-by-day calender?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sturm Antilles, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Has anyone ever tried to create a day-by-day timeline for the material that is crammed into a series of weeks or months? I'm thinking the Clone Wars era, and between Yavin and Endor. I know it has been talked about before in the past on these boards (like, literally a decade ago or more), but I'm wondering if it was ever actually attempted.

Because if not, I am about to make a go at it. I'm about to read/watch/game (or re-read) everything in these two eras, and I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations on a program that would allow me to visually fill in X amount of days for weeks/months/years, while taking into account holidays and everything else. It would be especially cool if I could do colored highlights across days, to show the span of time for each story, and even multiple highlights for stories that take place concurrently. I want this to be the definitive post-Yavin timeline, taking into account Legends as well as Nu Canon where applicable.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I think Sinrebirth might be the best bet for "taking into account both Legends and NuCanon".

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    This is true. I'm a major proponent of his One Canon initiative.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Also, I seem to recall TalonCard having done some work on something like this, though I could be misremembering.

6. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I've tried it a couple of times over the years. Man, there was just a lot less stuff back in 2002. ;) Sturm, PM me if you want a copy of my timeline (I did a lot of work on it, but it's also based on discussions and timelines from Nightowl, Maverick, and Quest.) I never tried going day-by-day for more than the first month or so after Yavin; that's probably the tightest-packed period in all of Legends. I would recommend reading through Quest's thread; I popped in and contributed where I could and it's probably one of the most recent and detailed iterations of the timeline. I do quibble with some of his placements, but what's history without a friendly disagreement or two? [face_laugh]

If you want some assistance on the Ewok side of things, let me know--I've been wanting to make an Ewok timeline that one could place parallel to the main timeline with some accuracy for awhile now, but it wasn't until Shadows of Endor came out that such a thing was even possible. It's the Rosetta Stone of Ewok timelines; I just haven't had time to finally make it. :p

A few general notes for maintaining relative sanity:

I would recommend making two parallel timelines, one for Legends and one for the current "canon". There's enough date-fudging and duplicate stories about the circumstance and timing of certain events (for example, Darth Vader learning Luke's identity) to contend with in Legends without trying to square it with (what we're being told, at least) will be the definitive version of the story across all media in "canon". A parallel timeline would allow for the two to be read simultaneously without muddying already opaque waters.

Stick to whatever version of the calendar you want to use (I liked Quest's notion of a "real time" calendar), but don't be afraid to use any calendar scheme to justify the dates given within the stories. For example, when a character says something like "We ran into bounty hunters two weeks ago on Ord Mantell", this could be anywhere from 9 days (approximating low with the five day week) to 16 days (approximating high with the seven day week), depending on how long you need to square the source with other stories. This allows some wiggle room while maintaining internal consistency.

Make sure to check any and all sources related to the period. The original Essential Guide to Characters was helpful in locking down the date for "Kashyyyk Depths" for example, while the original version of the Star Wars comic strip showed more time passing between stories than the Classic Star Wars version did.

TC

jSarek likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, just as I was getting into a good rhythm with that project, I got hit with the quadruple whack of moving, taking on a second job, taking some more intensive classes and the canon reboot which resulted in me just generally falling very far behind in my SW Lit reading (stuck mostly to the comics since). I'd like to pick it up one day (even if I missed my TFA release date target ;) ). But that'd definitely be a "next year" kind of thing after I finish off my degree this fall. At that point I'll be better positioned with my free time to actually catch-up on the last few years of books.

My previous Clone Wars day to day timeline, while far more complete than the Yavin project, is still incomplete and will probably remain that way- it was feasible before TCW happened, but now that whole era is just such a mess that the time investment required to make something even vaguely plausible is just beyond my interest at this point.

(though I might go back one day and just do the Battle of Coruscant stories because I'm confident I could still rectify LOE & the micro-series...)