main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Frustrations

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by UrbanJedi, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanJedi

UrbanJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 1999
    I am not having luck with getting people to read my fan fic. My personal opinion is because my fic is original character, not about a Jedi, and not about Ani/Ami or Anakin/Tahiri, or the other flavors of the week. I have had plenty of people tell me it is a very well written story, including some frequenters of these boards. Please tell me why no one is reading this. And if they are, why they are not leaving me posts at the end. The link is in my sig. Thank you.

2. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Why don't you go to "The Feedback Junkies"? I think you'll discover that you are not alone in this.

At some point we all have to make a decision-- do you write things that are popular because they're popular, or do you just write what you want? You might want to draw readers to you ith a fic that might get some more attention, then fall back on OC fics. I'm writing one right now, and I feel your pain, but OC fics always get few replies. If you're going to write one, you need to understand that. :)

Good luck, and I hope you get some readers.

3. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    It is frusturating isn't it? It's my greatest fear here on the boards! [face_plain]

My only advice is to keep with it... if you stop now you are only giving into 'lurkers' and you own fears that no one is reading it. :)

4. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    I appreciate your replies and sympathies, but I don't feel like I should have to "sell out" to get readers. Oh well. Guess you gotta do what you gotta do, huh. Anakin and Jacen and all you other flavors, here I come. LOL

5. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Kyps are hot right now too, him and Jag are the latest fanfic fashions! :p

6. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    OMG, I just realized I got a reply from the world famous Mcily Nochi. Thank you for the grace of your presence. If it's not too much trouble, I would be honored if you would take a look at my fic. Again, the link is in my sig. If you have time, that is. Thank you.

7. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    The problem with original character fics is that they're almost to the point of not being SW fics, as far as the built-in following goes. The major difference between media tie-in fics and original stories in original universes is familiarity. The further you get from the source, the more you end up with the difficulties faced by anyone writing original fiction. What's the selling point to the audience?

You make a mistake in belittling the people who prefer to read about the established characters... people pick up on that attitude, I think, and it doens't help. It's also not true that we're dealing with "flavors of the month" or some sort of popularity contest. You're dealing with the essential reason people are reading SW fanfic versus original fiction. I suspect that people who generally write OC fiction are mainly interested in the SW universe but not the characters and ongoing story, and that's fine. But people who read and write established character stories do so because for them, the universe is incidental -- it's the characters and the saga that are the main point of interest, and the reason they are fans. (Also, can't speak for other fanfic writers, but for myself, if an original character is far enough away from SW to never interact with the majors or the sweep of events, that character and scenario goes in another file of my hard drive altogether, where I keep original stories that I mean to finish and possibly market. Why waste them in a world to which they are not mortally tied?)

Okay, defense over -- the point is that OC stories will always have an interest hurdle to get over, because they aren't why a lot of people are fans, and taking the attitude that those readers are somehow "less" than OC readers doesn't help win them over.

8. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Ah, always the voice of wisdom JG!

9. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    OCs also require a lot more invested interest from a reader. You have to get to know these characters, understand their motivations, their personalities, and this takes a lot more work than canon characters. Canons' traits are already established, so a reader can just jump right into the story - this is important because many of us don't spend that much time on the internet.

Being a new author makes it even harder because readers aren't familar with your work. So, not only do they have to take the time with new characters, they also have to get used to your writing style. Why take there time when you could read a popular author's canon character story? Popular authors have better luck because they already have a fan base to work with. It's easier. I know it's a hard truth, but let's face it.

Also, I think there is the fear of the Mary Sue, who is known for popping up in OC stories. People don't like her, and if they believe that an OC is one, they'll stop reading.

10. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    Let me first say that I appreciate your honest response to my honest question. Let me next say that I apologize for the presumption I may have given that I was "belittling" the readers for what they choose to read about. Think about it this way, if you would. When Jacen and Jania, and all the others were introduced, they were nothing more than OC in an established story. However, they are neccessary for the evolution of the Star Wars Universe in that, the original characters are getting old and if we want more stories, there has to be a next generation. I can accept that and even appreciate that. I love the EU, and I love Star Wars. I was just as upset when Anakin died in SBS as the next fan. All I'm saying is that I believe that writing and rewriting Ani/Ami fics and those getting 4,000 posts is frustrating. Those characters are already established in the SW universe. There's not a whole lot that can be done with them. I use my imagination (not saying that writers of established character fics don't use their imaginations. Please don't turn that one around on me.) and created completely new characters set in the Star Wars story line. The universe is huge, with billions and trillions of beings. Why must we rehash the stories of a few. What was going on elsewhere in the universe during ANH, ESB, ROTJ? What effect did the Galactic Civil War have on the people besides Han, Luke and Leia? Those are the kinds of questions I like to address in my stories. What all that adds up to, is my original statement that I'm frustrated by the fact that my story is neglected for yet another version of what happened when Ani and Ami were in the lake country, or what would've happened if Anakin Solo would have lived. I'm sorry that I upset you JediGaladriel, but I do belived these boards are over saturated with flavors of the week and that frustrates me. Thus the title of my thread. Thank you for your response and suggestions.

11. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Well, I haven't particularly enjoyed any of the EU original characters I've read (and generally ignore them in my own writing), so I guess I tend to be automatically suspicious.

I've written OC fics -- for the record, my OC fics don't get very many hits, either -- and I know what you mean. I did a whole story about what happened at an Imperial boarding school after the destruction of Alderaan. Got maybe twenty responses and disappeared. I've had an OC story about a future padawan of Luke's named Dritali Neral up at FF.N for months and not gotten a single reply to it. For all I know, no one has ever read it. Why would they? She not only is an original character (whose debut was in a long and rambling fic that only the truly dedicated get through), but she exists in a world that totally ignores the existence of the novels. Ooops. At any rate, I do understand.

The other thing is, my OC stories have not tended to be my better work. (Ouch. Hard to admit, that.) My interest is in the Skywalker family and they way its members interact with one another, and that's where my prose tends to be stronger and my characterization more in depth. And it seems most of the time when I open an OC fic, there's a lot of Mary Sue-ism going on. Maybe I've clicked on the wrong ones, because I've been told often that there are very good OC stories out there, and I've read some stories that are primarily OC (Jeff42's Sands of Time comes to mind) that I like very much.

12. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    Again, I appreciate your help and understanding. I apologize if I came off brash in my original post. I know you're busy, but if you would, please do this for me. Read my story, and tell me honestly what you think. I've been told by people whom I truly respect that it is good. By the way, what is Mary Sue. That's not a term I'm familiar with. Thank you again for your help.

13. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Sure.

Mary Sue is a character who blatantly is standing in for the author and doing wish-fulfillment type things.

14. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    That's funny. I never thought there was an actual term for that. I mean you see it all the time, I guess. I would really appreciate your feed back. I'm one of those "Feedback Junkies" I guess. Thanks again for your help.

15. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I've copied it into a doc to read offline. I'm not much of a police-story gal (more high fantasy and so on), so my comments might not be all that informed on the genre, but so far it seems well-written.

16. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Like JG said, many fans are fans of the characters, and that is why they read. "Flavors of the month," as you call them, are simply reactions to which character has been focused on by the most recent novel or movie. It's a natural reaction. I, personally, like to have nice, strong ties to SW in OC fics. That's one of the reasons I chose such a pivotal point in SW history to write for my OC fic. I continually tie in not only planets and alien species, but also stereotypes (like roguish Corellians) and early versions of familiar things. You can't blame people for wanting a very strong connection to their favorite aspects of SW.

Also, remember people are doing this for fun. They don't have to read and reply, and many don't. I don't lurk myself, but I understand why some people do.

17. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    Mcily, believe me when I say this. It truly is an honor for someone who is as "famous" here on the boards and the fan fic community to reply to my message for help. If you read my story and gave me some feedback, that would not only be greatly appreciated, but I would be in your debt big time. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.