main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Full Circle -- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan story -- Complete - 28-Dec-2005

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Full Circle
    Author: ardavenport (aka Ani-Chay Pinn, aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I
    Genre: adventure, Obi-torture, H/C
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, JA, BfTS, Obi-torture, H/C
    Summary: Qui-Gon adds an unorthodox twist to a mission while Obi-Wan contemplates an illness
    Notes: also posted on The Jedi Assembly fan fiction forum. And typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to Lucas; I?m just playing in their sandbox

FULL CIRCLE
    by Anne Davenport

?And we will be back in a minute with more shocking revelations about our second minister?s double life,? the pretty announcer finished. He was a fine, slender Nigan male with well groomed features and carefully striped hair. The screen changed from the announcer to a large, red, rolling creature that promised to smooth over all your droid?s cosmetic needs.

Qui-Gon Jinn sighed and lowered his gaze from the screen overhead. The planet Niga loved their political gossip every bit as much as Coruscant. The only difference he could see was that the Nigas seemed to favor personal melodrama over fiscal corruption. The screen on the opposite wall droned on in a low volume, but he ignored it. Since the Jedi Temple was on the Republic?s capital city-planet, Qui-Gon, like all Jedi, was expert at tuning out excesses of media and advertising.

Next to him and sitting up on a medical couch, his young apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, finished scraping his bowl for the last of his yedo porridge. Most of the rest of the breakfast they?d shared was gone from the tray in front of him. Three days of fever and lethargy seemed to have disappeared like a summer storm. The were both dressed and ready to go; they merely waited for the formality of one more examination from Y7G. Their ship was parked on the medical center?s space platform. The Jedi who had delivered it would get a transport back to Couroscant on her own. Qui-Gon would pilot them back to the Temple. Under quarantine.

Qui-Gon Jinn was in a lot of trouble with the Jedi Council. More than usual. He?d calmly considered his position and decided if he could do anything over again...he would have avoided the planet Niga entirely. But Jedi did not waste time regretting past actions and given a similar situation he would argue in favor of the same action. He greatly hoped that he would never be in such a position again.

Obi-Wan was eyeing Qui-Gon?s half-eaten sweet roll. With a gesture he invited his apprentice to take it. He got up from his chair to look down the hall for the droid. Halfway to the door the announcer caught his attention.

?...and the rumor is that the impasse was so severe that the Longear and the Longnose Factions arranged for Jedi intermediaries to act as couriers between the various parties. Our inquiries yielded only a single, terse communique, directly from the Jedi Council. ?The Jedi Temple currently has no Jedi operating on Niga.?

Qui-Gon stared at the screen as the announcer handed over the show to a small crowd of pompous commentators. He was astonished. The Jedi Council did not respond at all to any media inquiries about any missions. Ever. Obviously, he was not the only one the Jedi Council was displeased with.

Finishing the last of the roll, Obi-Wan looked up at the screen as well.

?Master, is that why you asked them to turn the viewer back on??

He gave Obi-Wan an affirmative gesture. Obi-Wan frowned and lowered his blue eyes and wiped his sticky fingers on a napkin. Qui-Gon had told Obi-Wan what he?d done while he?d been ill. Obi-Wan felt uncomfortable about it but had said nothing. He stole a glance at the other Jedi, standing calmly by door to the room and wondered at his master?s certainty. He very much wanted to

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh my, this is quite the stellar story! You do write my fave Jedi impeccably well. May I ask to be PM'd with update??? :D :D

3. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Very, very nice I loved it!=D=

Any chance that I to can be PMed with updates.:confused:

And may I add you to my watched users list?[face_mischief]

4. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Obi-Wan stared. His master, long dead for many years, smiled down at him. His spectral image ?sat? on the edge of the bed. Just seeing him, not just hearing his voice, was heartbreaking, coming so close after that last dream. Or had it been memory? And why had it seemed to be from Qui-Gon?s memory. Why...?

Obi-Wan?s eyes widened. To die from an illness that he was sure he?d caught from the very boy he was supposed to protect at a chance meeting at Anchorhead? How pathetic was that?

:D What a great story! Just when we think you are taking us in one direction, you spin us around and leave us wondering where we are really going!

Love it! [face_dancing]

And, I can't wait to see what you do next! ;)

More, please! [face_batting]

Star

5. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooh, I like this. That was quite the twist near the end there, very nice. :D

I'm very curious to see where this is going.

Can't wait for more! [face_batting]

6. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    All I'm very happy you enjoy the story. They're satisfying to write, or rather, get finished. :D

Healer_Leona Ooooh, I love writing Qui-Gon, with Obi-Wan. He's quite inspirational.

kenobiwanobi Glad you liked it....now I need to learn how to initiate a PM and not just click on 'reply'. Interesting.

Star_Drifter There are even more directions for the story to go into.

Bastet Aah, you won't have wait long....there's more. :)

=====================================================================

Qui-Gon looked amused. //You?re not that sick, Obi-Wan.//

Obi-Wan?s head fell back on the pillow. Of course, he knew he wasn?t that sick. But that hadn?t stopped him from that brief moment of panic anyway. Real illness was what he?d gone through back on Niga. This was more like an inconvenience.

They?d called it ?minimal? life support on Niga, but it had hardly felt minimal to Obi-Wan at the time. The medical droids had put tubes and sensors and machines into every available orifice. Well, he had to admit that he didn?t remember that they?d put anything into his ears, but he just might not have been aware of it at the time. The only thing that made it at all tolerable was that he?d been too ill to care. And that Qui-Gon had been with him. And now that he was so totally alone in the galaxy, Qui-Gon was with him.

But why was he here now...?

//You need to listen, Obi-Wan.//

Listen? As one with the Force, Qui-Gon could be especially cryptic sometimes, every phrase a lesson to the learned in its deciphering. But why now? When he really wasn?t feeling up to it?

//You need to listen. Obi-Wan.//

Obi-Wan stared up at the ceiling and listened. There was a gentle but mercilessly hot breeze outside. No vermin, no insect, no reptile of the Jundland Wastes did much more than seek shelter in the midday sun. Sand shifted, a very gentle scratching sound...

?Augh...!? He rolled off the bed, grabbing the lightsaber he always left ready at hand near his pillow. Heedless of whether he was walking though the spiritous Qui-Gon, he quickly rushed to the flatten himself by the door of his hut.

Through the window next to it he saw the Tusken Raider cautiously approaching. It was a male. The raiding parties were always males. Long minutes passed while the sandperson stalked the hut. As cautious as he was, he obviously hadn?t seen Obi-Wan watching from the shadows. There were others, further away, behind some rocks. This one seemed to be chosen for the first strike.

Obi-Wan sensed his fear. He was young, barely an adult. Was this some kind of initiation? Attack the old hermit to gain his adulthood? Sandpeople covered themselves completely in loose, sand colored robes and bandages on the head. Their tribal taboos forbid any exposed skin. They blended in well with the desert, but their goggles were impractical. Sandpeople had no peripheral vision at all, so Obi-Wan wasn?t surprised that this one didn?t see him.

The raider approached the door to Obi-Wan?s hut. It reached out to slide it aside. It was locked. The hut was too primitive for an electronic lock, but a simple bolt and bar did the job just a well. The Tusken jumped back and raised his arms as if to attack. Then it stopped, its head darting to either side, clearly looking for another way to its goal. Obi-Wan had to admit that this one had far more self control than his brethren.

Obi-Wan focused his attention and the Force on his unwelcome visitor. Fierce as they were, Sandpeople were easily influenced by the Force. And the last thing he wanted was a confrontation, with the possibility of vengeance and retaliation from the rest of the tribe.

The Tusken wavered. Door locked. Too much trouble. Nothing but dry bones inside anyway.

But then it seemed to reassert its resolve and began to approach the window. Obi-Wan backed away from it, staying in the gloom of the room. Self control and determination were not good qualities to find in a Tusken Raid

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Arrrgh, that is so maddening. If only soemthing had been done regarding that vision, so much pain in the galaxy could have been avoided.

ardavenport, that was a stellar fic. I'm going to watch for any you do!! :D :D

8. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Obi-Wan's sadness is Wonderfully captured in this lovely piece.=D= And good job tying it all together in the end.:D

=D= Great Job=D=

May the force be with you[face_peace]

9. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Healer_Leona: Arrrgh, that is so maddening. If only soemthing had been done regarding that vision, so much pain in the galaxy could have been avoided.

Aaaah, but that's the trouble with visions...you never know if what you do won't just make it happen, which sadly Anakin found out the hard way. Thanks for reading!

kenobiwanobi: Obi-Wan's sadness is Wonderfully captured in this lovely piece. And good job tying it all together in the end.

Thanks. It was all very sad that everything really fell down around poor Obi-Wan in ROTS; the only consolation he (and Yoda) had was the hope that Qui-Gon could give them.

10. JediKlea

JediKlea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ohh, thanks so much for the reply; sorry I didn't see it sooner. Glad you liked it. [face_worried]

12. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Ooh.

That's really cool, the juxtaposition of the two scenes: Qui-Gon and the younger Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon with old Ben...yeah.

Neat-neat-neat.

I await the next bit with interest! You've done a beautiful job so far. :)

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Fluff-Slayer: That's really cool, the juxtaposition of the two scenes: Qui-Gon and the younger Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon with old Ben...yeah.

Neat-neat-neat.

I await the next bit with interest! You've done a beautiful job so far.

Oooooh, thanks very much!:) I got half way through this story and changed the timeline. It was fun to do, but I hadn't really thought about continuing with this story. I have played with writing about Ben on Tatooine with Qui-Gon in the Saga forum though.

14. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    This is really awsome! I have no idea if the vision is the dream or old Ben the dream and I *like* it! Glad to see Obi-wan's humor hasent lost itself in grief.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, masterful job, just wonderful.

He lowered his head. Tears filled his eyes and rolled down his face. So, much had changed since then. Unimaginable, except for the violent vision of one young padawan long ago, an age away.

//You should let go of your grief, Obi-Wan.// Qui-Gon gently told him. //That moment is past.//

Obi-Wan smiled sadly. ?There is rather a lot of it to go through, I think. It takes time.? Qui-Gon silently acknowledged this and waited. Qui-Gon Jinn had lived his entire life within the Jedi Order. He had not had to endure its total destruction in life, suffering all those deaths and then the cruel betrayal of a pupil who in the end, chose the Sith over the Jedi. In that, Qui-Gon acknowledged that Obi-Wan was the master.

It is so hard to write of Obi-Wan's grief without descending into angst, but you have so perfectly captured it. I could feel Obi-Wan's grief, and that is truly wonderful when the reader feels with the characters.

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Lady_Snow_Kaguya: This is really awsome! I have no idea if the vision is the dream or old Ben the dream and I *like* it! Glad to see Obi-wan's humor hasent lost itself in grief.

Thank you! I also liked that it was unclear about which scenario was the current, or even real, one. The old Ben in ANH had some humor, so I know it wasn't completely lost. :)

Valairy_Scot: It is so hard to write of Obi-Wan's grief without descending into angst, but you have so perfectly captured it. I could feel Obi-Wan's grief, and that is truly wonderful when the reader feels with the characters.

Thank you! I think that one thing that keeps things from getting too angsty, in general, is when the characters keep doing things, keep active even when they're feeling down. But poor Obi-Wan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.