main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Holiday Icon Takeover

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I would like to argue with the idea that Christmas is an offensive religious holiday. Come on, it's basically been integrated into our culture. Evergreen trees, Santa Claus, reindeer, snow, and all of that stuff have *nothing* to do with religion. You could do an entire Christmas theme, banner, icons, and everything without saying *one word* about religion. Yes, it is a religious holiday, but it would be so easy to make it entirely secular, or concentrate on the secular parts of it. Talk about gifts, Santa, and snow, and nobody should be offended.

Welcome to the current mod squad debate. :p I, for one, think we should either just piss on PC or call it Festivus and be done with it. We can make a banner with snow and a hoth-style theme and all wear nice little red commie hats. :)

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I would like to point out that there are more people in the JC who celebrate Christmas than Halloween. :p

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    That's it, we need Festivus icons!

4. CUBIE_HOLE

CUBIE_HOLE Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    YodaJeff
    [color=blue]Not to mention that those who have a religion that doesn't believe in holidays are subjected to them.[/color][hr][/blockquote]

Does this really apply for TF.N? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is required to come here. I lurked here by choice, and then one day I registered and actually became a member by my on free will. No one subjected me to anything at this place except myself. I enjoy this place, but what if I didn't anymore? At anytime, with regards to TF.N, it is in my own power and free will to decide whether or not I will be subjected to it?

I don't care much for PC, but part of me admires it, because it's only trying to please everyone. Unfortunately, that will never happen. It could be helped if some people realized that it can't always be 'my way,' and that they revolve around the world, but the world does not revolve around them.

5. JWInAGhostCostume

JWInAGhostCostume Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2002
    Jjanda
    "Talk about gifts, Santa, and snow, and nobody should be offended."

Ummm...I doubt people would notice. [face_plain] I mean, when was the last time you saw Baby Jesus pitching Coca-Cola? ?[face_plain] :p

Welcome to the current mod squad debate.

Hey look! I think that was an invitation to become a moderator ;)

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I personally will raise a stink if something special is done for the American Thanksgiving, because nothing was done for the Canadian thanksgiving, which was a few weeks ago. I'm not Christian, but I have tolerated the Christmas theme in the past and will continue to do so. It's a little annoying when the place is dead on Christmas morning, but what can you do? :p

7. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I am amazed at how self-centered and petty all the people are who insist on complaining when others have the pleasure of enjoying something that they do not.

AYBABTU?

8. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I agree with CUBIE, and others. Visiting the boards is the decision of the user alone; no one is forcing anyone to put up with anything they don't like... It's obvious that many of us are enjoying the Halloween scheme to the extent that we let out delighted whoops when looking at the new icons (or is it just me?), and I think a lot of us would appreciate a Christmas theme to be continued to be set up every year as well. If you don't celebrate Christmas, will it really change your lives drastically if you have to look upon Christmas related images and colours? It doesn't affect your ability to post, and you are under no obligation to continue to come to the JC during that time anyway.

9. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't really care about the icons for other holidays, but these Halloween icons rock and should be kept permanently. I understand this is a SW message board, but SW-only icons get old after a while.

10. CUBIE_HOLE

CUBIE_HOLE Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Admiral_Thrawn60
    [color=blue]I personally will raise a stink if something special is done for the American Thanksgiving, because nothing was done for the Canadian thanksgiving, which was a few weeks ago.[/color][hr][/blockquote]

That's nice logic. It's the equivalent of me(American, English speaking) going to a German web site, and then complaining that they don't celebrate, or maybe not even acknowledge American holidays. The nerve of those German people to have a web site based out of Germany that focuses on Germany. I don't even want to talk about the text being in German.

However, there's a simple solution. If I want a web site that focuses on America, etc., then I go to an American place.

I'm sorry I just don't see the merit in such complaints. If you come to a Star Wars web site, do you expect its main focus to be on Star Trek?

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    This is not an American website. It is an international website for fans from around the world. There are boards here for America, to Germany, to Australia, and everything in between. America is one country, and changing the boards for Thanksgiving would be as inappropriate as changing them for Independance Day.

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Exactly.

This website may be BASED in the US, but obviously we have a high number of Brits, Aussies, Canadians, etc as well.

13. hairybutt

hairybutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    Well, that's the St Patrick's Day colours out the window then [face_plain]

14. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Where do you live?

75%
    North America (341 votes)
    0%
    South America (3 votes)
    8%
    Australiasia (37 votes)
    1%
    South East Asia (6 votes)
    0%
    Asia (3 votes)
    11%
    Northern Europe (52 votes)
    1%
    Southern Europe (9 votes)
    0%
    Africa (2 votes)

What are your religious beliefs?
    50%
    Christian (307 votes)
    2%
    Judaism (18 votes)
    2%
    Islam (14 votes)
    1%
    Buddhist (12 votes)
    9%
    Agnostic (57 votes)
    19%
    Athiest (116 votes)
    13%
    Other (85 votes)
    ----------------------------

15. Loki_Scythewielder

Loki_Scythewielder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    we are not going to use the outcomes of an easily-stuffable poll to determine policy on the JC. And, as you look at the number of how many voted each choice, remember that there are 85,000 members here. Even saying that 1,000 are socks, there's still a huge number that did not find their way into Census to vote.

16. CharisTheTormentor

CharisTheTormentor Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    As a British Buddhist Wiccan I couldn't honestly care whether the themes are American thanksgiving, Xmas, Summer Solstice or any other religious, cultural or philosophical celebration.

I mean, it's about having fun and having a change.

17. eclipseSD

May 11, 2002
    I agree with you there. Polls shouldn't be taken into account because like you said, they are easily fixable. I just though I would put those polls out there. If there were 60,000 total votes, than that poll would be a better source.

What policy is the administration currently leaning towards? I don't need the decision yet, but I am curious as to what the general consensus is in the Mod Squad about this issue.

18. CharisTheTormentor

Oct 27, 2002
    No offense, but it is the meaning I have for it. You are entitled to your own, as is everybody else in the world. You wish to debate the issue, PM me. Please do not tell me what I can and cannot type. Xmas is not a swear word.

EDIT - realised this kinda looks rude when it's not supposed to be - it's the Halloween sock and icon effect - sorry :)

19. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    By the way, could we please refer to Christmas as Christmas, not X-mas. It is just 5 move letters. X-mas tries to take the Christ out of the holy day and thus does not reflect its true meaning.

This is the crux of the issue. In initial Christian belief, the holiday has one meaning. But the holiday isn't totally limitted to being a religious one anymore. Nowdays it is very much a cultural one, and is participated in by many people, regardless of religion. I personally refer to the holiday as Xmas in discussions like this to make that exact distinction.

What we would be celebrating here if we did anything, is a cultural holiday, just like we are doing now with Halloween.

20. eclipseSD

May 11, 2002
    Does this mean no Nativity icon?

21. Ghouled-Scarlacc

Ghouled-Scarlacc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    TFN has celebrated the Holiday season every year and there has never been any problems with it before. Now that we have a Hallowen week everyone is worried about X-mas this year and possibly offending someone? Don't be a Grinch. Be Cindy Loo-Hoo. :D

22. CharisTheTormentor

Oct 27, 2002
    Why would there not be religious icons for religious holidays? A Wiccan icon for Halloween would have been nice ;) Of course, there should be non-religious options available for those who do not have religious associations with that holiday. The lack of a religious belief should not impede someone from appreciating the intent of the holiday and therefore showing the tolerance and respect for others that they so rightly deserve.

23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "And, as you look at the number of how many voted each choice, remember that there are 85,000 members here. Even saying that 1,000 are socks, there's still a huge number that did not find their way into Census to vote."

But statistically speaking, only 1000 or so votes in a poll are necessary to give an outcome to a very small margin of error (I don't remember the actual math off the top of my head, but that's the gist of it). That's the whole point of polls in the first place. Of course, the sock issue is a different point, but really, how many people use socks to stuff the polls in Census?

Amazing.

24. H_E_Dbl_GIMER_Sticks

H_E_Dbl_GIMER_Sticks Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2002
    Anyone who complains about seeing another culture's holiday is very closed minded.

Bring on your Yom Kippur.
    Bring on your Canadian Boxing Day.
    Bring on your Irish Drinking Day. I mean - St. Patrick's Day

Why would you ever be offended seeing another culture's beliefs?
    Unless you are not very solid in your beliefs, they don't change yours. Show us YOUR beliefs.

The board is run by people in America. That is the culture they know. If you want to be able to share your celebrations with others then you need to put forth the effort to help realize those, because they can't do what they don't know.

I commend the effort for the Arbor Day banners above. Who doesn't love trees?

As Bill Cosby said: "You might learn something before the day is through."

Saying you are offended by someone else's holiday just seems silly. IMHO.

25. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I have to agree with AF here. THe point being if you dont like it, don't go there. People arn't being forced to go to the boards and see all the colours and such. Its their choice.

Lastat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.