main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Funeral Rites for the Jedi

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lt_Jaina_Solo, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    What are the funeral rites for the Jedi in the New Jedi Order? If they don't have the body what do they do? Is there anything special done if the body was lost or destroyed?

2. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    There is no precedence for this. We have no way of knowing, kinda like my wedding ring question. If there is no body to burn, there is no telling what they do. I say just make it up.

3. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    ok, i'll do that then. what did they do in the Old Jedi Order? (this way i can have some idea of what to do)

4. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    In the NJO, there are so many Jedi dying that they can't have funerals for all of them. Anakin had his body burned, but that does not apply here. They never said anything about funerals for other Jedi in the NJO.

5. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that burning the body is the common thing. Maybe it's the traditional burial method?

6. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    The Jedi were big on the whole funeral pyre thing. Even luke burned Vader. It's like what the Vikings did. Lucas tried to connect everything in his universe to mytholgy or other things that have a basis in real earth history, and honorably cremating someone was a big thing for some cultures.

And according to Lucas the only Jedi that dissapear at their deaths are Yoda and Obi-wan. I haven't read the NJO, so I don't know what happens to them. Apparently the ability to dissapear was something learned between EIII and EIV and it was Yoda who taught Obi-wan.

7. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    something just made sense to me, since a large amount of jedi were being killed during the clone wars they probably learned how to dissapear after they die. it makes sense.

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I have a few tidbits on burning people's body. I don't think it really explains anything about ... uh ... anything, but ... oh well, I'll just tell you:

There are many countries in the world that traditionally burn the bodies of the dead instead of burying them.

For example, in India, traditionally, when people die, their son (if they have a hundred sons--then the eldest one; if they don't have sons--their father (if their father's dead--I don't know); if they have only daughters--then their son-in-law) burn their bodies.

Burning also has scientific reasons, not just religious ones: burning the body stops it from contaminating its surrounding parts, from spreading diseases, etc.

Also, I think burning the body is symbolic of 'truly dying' or something like that (let me remind you, i said I think ).

I guess I'll just stop rambling on about idiotic information that nobody cares about (or wants to hear) and end this long post.

Aunecah_Skywalker

9. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Some times it's also due to spatial constraints -- here in Singapore where I live, bodies are usually cremated as there is very limited land for cemeteries.

10. happygolucky

happygolucky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    This is probably stupid and to far gone for me to reply but... what the hey...

You could always have them burn robes, or something that had belonged to the Jedi that died.

I think that's what happens in life (or in m twisted version) if there is no body they bury the personal belongings and the things that mean the most to them in the coffin. I guess the same could go for cremation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.