main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Funniest Misspelled Words-- Whn teh kish runs awry withtt he fpoon.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Bale, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Good thing the Sis got that lithping Darth Widious when they did, because their old name sure was lame.

EDIT: And Dars Vader just wouldn't have had the same ring to it.

"It is pointleth to rethitht!"

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I get to laugh about 10 times a day just because no one under the age of 30, it seems, knows how to spell voila! My mom and I always make fun of this by going "and there you have it, VIOLA!"

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    So since you're under 30, does that mean you had to use spellchecker in your last post? :p

4. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Yes, her original post said, "and there you have it, WALLA!" as in Walla Walla bing bang [face_shhh]

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Nope, because I'm a champion speller! And I said "It seems."

6. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Actually, Ish, if you want to really spell that right, it would be 'voilà'. With an accent grave over the 'a'. :)

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    True, but I have no idea how to do accents. I learned é just because Kemé is spelled constantly with it!

8. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    If you want to get really technical it should also be italicized. ;)

9. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    to do accents hit ctrl and the symbol over the letter together, let go and then hit the letter

10. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    Technically speaking, you're probably about to be decked :p

11. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    That reminds of the joke about the lawyer who gets pulled over for not coming to a complete stop:

The lawyer tells the cop he'll gladly pay the ticket if the cop can demonstrate the difference between slowing down and stopping. As the cop proceeds to beat the lawyer he asks, "Now do you want me to stop or just slow down?" [face_beatup]

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  13. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    One case that the slick-mouthed lawyer couldn't talk himself out of [face_laugh]

Hard to be quick on your feet when you're seat-belted at the side of the road.

14. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    LOL, Ish showed me this thread and it's so great.

This quiz quizzes you on commonly misspelled and mixed up words (i.e. they're, their, there) and provides a link at the end to all the answers and why. This thread reminded me of it, it's definitely a good resource for any fanfic writer.

I wish I had something funny to contribute to this thread but atm I can't think of anything...

-Mia

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    How about your phonetically misspelled name? ;)

16. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    mmm my all time favorite is Luk Skywalser

(did I already mention that it comes from one of my first fics ever? and that that was one of the more understandable parts? me englich waz rater bed at ze tim. )

17. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    ROFLOL don't get me started on that. And speaking of... I need to go create the account because the extra 'E' is...driving me INSANE. And um, no, I'm not still up at this hour while you're already passed out on my couch...

Let's see...other common misspellings that make me go *twitch*:

-Wookie instead of Wookiee
    -Nar Shaddaa is alllways spelled wrong
    -Kashyyyk is always missing at least one Y
    -Oh my kriff... I've seen people try to spell Naberrie as Naberry and Nabooie... how the heck do you get Nabooie...??

Oh, and a friend of mine was meaning to type Qui-Gon and typed Qwi-Xux instead. [face_laugh] Considering it was in context of discussing a romantic ship, it was pretty funny.

-Mia

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, the funniest misspelled word I've seen so far is "Death Kilters" in my Harry Potter 6 .pdf e-book - apparently a mistake caused by an OCR software when changing scanned page into text... :p

19. raisedbywolves

Jul 1, 2005
    I just read the sentence, "Luke felt as frolorn as he looked"...

*gets mental picture of Luke with comb in massive Fro*

Hmmm...

20. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    Trail instead of Trial - I did this in the title for Trial By Fire...

Ah, there must be loads of spelling mistakes, but grammer mistakes are funny to!

21. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    I was messing around with the reader software that came with a microphone we bought once. It pronounced "Jedi" as "Gee-dee". I tried every spelling I could to get it to say it right: Jeti, Jedeye, Jedd-eye... Closest I ever got was "Jet-eye," and it even butchered that. The program was apparently unfamiliar with galactic history.:p

22. raisedbywolves

Jul 1, 2005
    Hee hee, Aerex - when an old friend of mine and I were around eight, we used to spend hours jabbering at her mom's voice recognition software and laughing till we cried at how it interpreted our speech. It would even try to do the laughs, sad misguided thing that it was.

23. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Voice-recognition software... *shakes head* Half the time it didn't show what I said and the other half the time, it mangled it. So I stopped doing so...

24. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I have a few myself, both from from writing KotOR fics and from the game:

In-game, you have "Tais"(Taris, K1) and "Bastilla" (Bastila, K2) subtitle typos. I remember K2 especially was bad about making their subtitles match what the characters were actually saying. It was just so...bad. :oops:

In fics, I've seen "Bastilia", "Bastilla" "Carht Onassi", and "Zablar" (Zaalbar, a typo more common than you think) just to name a few. I've seen "Kashyyyk" misspelled numerous times, "wookiee" too.

Some of it's probably just how the word sounds, like wookiee. Some may be uncertainty over spelling, like the number of "y"s in Kashyyyk.

25. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Wookiee words are always mispelled. It's because they have so many blasted vowels. Kashyyyk, Wookiee, Shyrrywook... Can't they just be Cashiek, Wukie, and Wukie-talk?:p

In KotOR, Canderous's speech hardly ever matches up with the subtitles. I think the subtitles probably come from a script, and the audio was dubbed later. The voice actor who did Canderous must have ad-libbed a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.