main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Funny how in 6 months people can really age...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Angela_Russell, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela_Russell

Angela_Russell Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 6, 2004
    I mean look at Luke in ESB. Sure Mark had the car accident, but he was still sexy. How did Luke go from cute to old looking in the 6 months between ESB and ROTJ I wonder??? Also what about Leia??? Everyone knows Carrie's drug addiction made her look washed out but what do you think cause Leia to look the way she did??? I guess we can claim the carbonite aged Han a little since Harrison looked a little older though he did not get hit by the ugly stick as bad as poor Mark and Carrie. Mabey we should be grateful Ewan and Natalie didn't get the same treatment??? Your thoughts both in the SW Galaxy and real life of the instant aging effect???

Ciao!

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's one year. Still, Luke does look significantly more adult.

Luke Skywalker is awesome
    /LM

3. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    I think you exaggerate a little...Still, if you want an in-universe explanation, it was proabably the stress that made the Skywalker twins look older. As for real life, three years had passed since the last movie. You'd be surprised at how much people can age in three years...

4. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    How about the suspension of disbelief?;)

5. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Luke grew old, Leia got weary and Han got fat.

They're a projection of the Star Wars fanbase, guess that's why people prefer them over the increasing beauty of Padme, the bulking up of Anakin or the wisdomming up of Obi-Wan.

- O_F

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    [face_laugh] Yeah, I think that's a bit harsh

but Frans' explanation makes a creepy kind of sense :D

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Three years had gone by between the movies, so its not liek he could've stopped time and reduced the aging effect. And their CGI/makup isn't as good as it is now to limit any aging that happens between films.

8. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    They're a projection of the Star Wars fanbase, guess that's why people prefer them over the increasing beauty of Padme, the bulking up of Anakin or the wisdomming up of Obi-Wan.

Nice, makes me glad to be a prequel lover. :p

Everybody ages. Remember that the OT cast was older (Hamill 32, Fisher 27, Ford 41) when ROTJ came out than their PT counterparts with Ep 3 (Christensen 24, Portman 24, McGregor 34), and they were at an age where "age" starts to show.

9. Fallen_Jedi21

Fallen_Jedi21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2004
    Also, the timeline is different for the PT. There's 10 years between TPM and AOTC, but the actors would only age 3 years, and since the Clone War happens in "real time", the ages of the characters match up pretty well with the actors.

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    You didn't know? The "twins" are actually clones of Padme and Anakin that were injected with a diluted growth acceleration serum that only takes effect for six months in their late teens. :p

11. Angela_Russell

Angela_Russell Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 6, 2004
    Compared to ESB & AOTC, Padme and Leia both look really washed out in the 3rd installments.

Ciao!

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, one's been doing drugs for 3 "real" years, and the other's pregnant. Not exactly conditions for people to look fabulous.

Then again, IMO Leia was in spectacular shape for ROTJ.

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Carrie Fisher looked great physically, sure, but she had a tired look about her, as though she was stressed. Which is, considering the setting, probably fairly realistic, but she did seem weary throughout the film.

Padme, thus far, simply looks "muted" to me. Which is what I think Lucas was probably going for. Not to reveal too much about the film, but she is in a condition that would lend to her being a bit softer and more maternal. Plus, both she and Anakin have matured, in terms of their personal and interpersonal lives.

14. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Luke looks more grown in ROTJ, which works with his character to show that he's grown since becoming a Jedi and since first confronting his father.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Funny how in 6 months people can really age...

6 months? I always heard a year. That would explain some reasons for their apperance, eventhough I don't think they look as old as you're describing. I think they look fairly close to the age their characters are supposed to be. Oh well, to each their own.

16. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    It's more than one year.

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It's more than one year.

I'm talking about the timeframe between ESB and ROTJ - not ANH and ESB. Although, if we are talking about the same time, then I never heard that one before. Care to elaborate?

18. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    :confused:

Whoops, my mistake. Though he doesn't age nearly as much as from ANH to ESB.

19. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    It's six months if you go by the ROTJ novelization...which is odd, because what it actually says is "six of this desert planet's months", if I remember right. Which is not actually stating that the passage of time was six months, but that it was six of TATOOINE'S months. So, how many months are in a Tatooine year? Has anybody ever stated anywhere what the planet's rotation happens to be?

The year timeline between TESB and ROTJ comes from the EU.

20. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    Well lets see......6 goes into 12 two times.....

21. dav305z

dav305z Jedi Master star 1

Jan 31, 2005
    Luke is made to look older in order to reflect his maturity and power. The main difference is in the way they comb his hair and the wardrobe, which is all black to try and project power.

Carrie Fisher looks worn out because of the fact that she lost a lot of weight in order to look skinny in that super skinny bikini. That combined with the distinct possibility that she was already on drugs more than accounts for her change in appearence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.