main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Funny thing in ANH

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SwoopLocke, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwoopLocke

SwoopLocke Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2004
    As I'm playing BF2 the other day something occured to me that I never though of before.

During the death star run when Luke is checking his scopes and lining up his shots and everything, Obi-wan pops in and famously says "Use the Force Luke." So Luke of course shuts everything off and just fires away. Now at the time nobody knew a lot about Jedi other than Obi-wan "used to be" one as was Vader before he fell to the dark side. But you can gather from that scene that a seasoned and experienced Jedi would be able to pop off those perfect shots since Luke managed and he didn't even know what the force was a couple days prior.

But...what was the deal with Vader? He was lagging behind Luke for a while adjusting all his junk presumably to get a clear and solid shot. Why not use the Force? He's tinkering with all this crap when he should have just blown Luke away right off the bat.

Now I know its for suspense and everything, obviously Vader isn't going to kill the hero at the most cruicial point in the film, but I got a chuckle out of it anyway.

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Never really thought of that before... lol

That's kinda funny.

3. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    There's a big difference. Luke was using the Force to guide a pair of warheads into a small hole. Vader was trying to hit a moving target with beams of energy.

I think it would be fair to say that using the Force to move laser bolts drastically and precisely would be virtually impossible. After all, Jedi usually use their lightsabers to deflect blaster bolts.

4. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Even then though we can go back to the "experience" factor. Anakin Skywalker was probably the best pilot in the Republic...

Even if Luke is a natural... Well Anakin Skywalker was the best pilot of the Republic.

It was for suspense, and I can live with that. Darth Vader should, by all means, blown Luke out of the sky. But hey, that would kinda of ruin the movies. ;)

5. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Well, if you want to get over-the-top with this, you could look at it as Vader being out of touch with the Force, relying on machinery to target Luke rather than the instincts and feelings he used in the pod-race, etc. Ahem, this parallels how he relies on machinery to stay alive, etc, etc...

6. Storm_Gaxon

Storm_Gaxon Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    I always assumed that Vader was quite bad because he hadn't actually piloted anything for a while.

I mean, yes he has his own fighter, but couldn't that just be a hangover from the empire's early days.

I can see few occassions when the empire would have been happy for their prized second in command to swan off by himself with just a little fighter.

Maybe the TIE fighter is actually a pig to fly, and it's impossible just to disconnect and use the force to pilot it!

7. Darth_Conthhheivable

Darth_Conthhheivable Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2005
    The will of the force was with Luke, and working against Vader.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    That's exactly where I see it. I'm sure that wasn't the original intent, but taking the Saga as a whole now we can guess that Anakin has less of a connection to the Force than he used to. That this is once again one of Lucas' favorite themes of the dangers in relying on technology over nature.

9. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    You are presuming that Vader was using the computer for targeting. The computer only gave him more information on his target, ie. where he was aiming. Vader still had to line up the guns manually, something he did with ease with most of the fighters. However, because the force was strong with Luke, Vader had a difficult time lining up his shot.

10. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Skysoblue has it right. Vader said it himself, (frustrated) "The force is strong with this one."

He underestimated his adversary.......possibly.

11. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I d'know if underestimation had anything to do with it. I imagine that hitting a pilot who isn't Force-sensitive would be a lot easier than hitting one who is, just on general principles. Vader didn't have much trouble killing anyone other than Luke...

12. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    ..... and blow him out of the sky he was just about tooo..... but remember the pirate and space monkey?

ahaaaa......

13. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Are Wookiees really space monkeys? Don't let Chewie hear ya calling him that, or you can kiss your arms goodbye.

14. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Just pulling them out of socket. ;)

Don't get too violent...

*giggles* Space monkey...

15. tomkat364

tomkat364 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    "I have you now."

a better question would be, "why did he tell us he was just about to kill him rather than just doing it?" The only people to hear him would be tie pilot flunkies. "Oh wow, he really called it. He said he had him, and he did. He's so great."

16. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    He's "more machine than man now." That's why

17. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

I like that view...

18. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Vader seemed pretty ho hum about going to gun down the loser X-Wing pilots. They are being chased and aren't straffing at all. Pow Pow. He kills them. Suddenly this lead pilot is straffing back and forth and making it difficult to get a clean shot. Why is this pilot so good at evasion? The Force is strong with him. No matter, I'll get him. Let me get a clean shot. "Master, move a little to the left." Besides, this kid wasn't going to blow up the Death Star, scoring a slight hit might scare him out of the trench. This was a Force user, no doubt about it, and Vader was going to make sure he Gunned him down.

Luke got to fire at a stationary Target. The Death Star couldn't use the force to evade. Easier shot. By that time, Luke had Vader off his tail and could concentrate on making the shot.

Carnage

19. jedipaulk

jedipaulk Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    I have read the ROTS book and it explained that when Anakin became Vader (In his suit) that because of all the tec keeping him alive he would never be as powerful as he once was. So based on this I think that the reason Vader didn't use the force to blow away Luke was that he couldn't. Plus may be Obi-wan was blocking Vader's use of the force to lock on, He did after all tell Vader that if he (Vader) struck him (Obi-wan) down he would become more powerful than he (Vader) could possibly imagine.

It's just my way of looking at it.[face_peace]

20. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    The exhaust port was a stationary targer, whereas Luke was moving in his x-wing. In addition, the death star was not using the force to throw off the targeting of the weapons as Obi Wan was doing with Vader.

21. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Perhaps Vader was thinking, "I need to think of a good trick. What would be a good trick to destroy him?" He then says out loud, "The force is strong with this one." He then thinks of a good trick: "Spinning! That's a good trick! Why didn't I think of that earlier." At that precise moment, the Millennium Falcon arrives and sets him spinning. Much like his dreams of Padme, his premonitions and hopes did not turn out quite as he expected in this instance.

Tomkat364 wrote, "a better question would be, 'why did he tell us he was just about to kill him rather than just doing it?' The only people to hear him would be tie pilot flunkies. 'Oh wow, he really called it. He said he had him, and he did. He's so great.'"

If you notice in TPM, Anakin was talking to himself during the space battle over Naboo. Even in the trench of the Death Star, Vader is still just that little boy on Tatooine, plus a few deaths, a new suit and artificial limbs, and less a substantial amount of force abilities

22. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    I'm not so worried he didn't hit Luke, I'm more worried he didn't sense the Falcon closing in. But then again you can count that one up to the fact he was so engaged in the pursuit or just for suspense.

23. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    ComicDiva wrote, "I'm not so worried he didn't hit Luke, I'm more worried he didn't sense the Falcon closing in. But then again you can count that one up to the fact he was so engaged in the pursuit or just for suspense."

Of course, none of the dozens of Jedi in the Geonosis arena noticed the arrival of Yoda and the Clonetroopers, yet non-force sensitive Padme was the first to say "Look!", and all the Jedi looked up. In comparison, Vader not noticing one ship approaching is not all that confounding.

24. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    very good observation!;)
    also this thread finally answers my question of why the hell
    Vader keeps twisting those things,.......hehe manual guns why didn't i think of that.[face_dancing]

25. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I think that's the longest I've laughed after reading something in a forum for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.