Further Exploits Of The Lucasfilm Empire

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Debo, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Greetings!

Yes, you might know me from Debo's Star Wars Memories Spectacular. This time, I'm going to broaden my horizons a bit and venture outside of Star Wars merchandising. Let's take a look at some other things.

1. Indiana Jones And The Lost Toyline

There was a time we bought every action figure that had a card with Star Wars attached to its back. Yes, you did it too. You know Pruneface. Hammerhead. Snaggletooth. You know Rancor Keeper. You hardly saw them in the films, or not at all, but somehow the holy glow that was the Star Wars name made us buy them all. We would have bought a rock if it had been sold on that famous card.

Kenner, the company that gave you all this (and, though it is often forgotten, came up with the names for all those tenth class characters), and no stranger to scraping the bottom of a barrel I might add, once tried their hand at an Indiana Jones toyline. More specific: a Raiders of the Lost Ark toyline.

But well, yeah, cool idea, but what do you do. What figures do you make. Indiana Jones -- naturally... Marion...yeah...Belloq....uh-huh.... And then we're in cameo territory. I mean, imagine: you're 10, you're playing with your friends, and you end up with Sallah. Or worse, with that giant bald German mechanic guy. Or worse: with the Cairo swordsman.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/Zebo/swordsman.jpg]

5 seconds. That's all the Cairo swordsman had to offer. OK, it's more than Gonk, Paploo and Klaatu combined, but they looked bizarre. The Cairo swordsman is so lousy even Kenner didn't give him a name. Had they been creative in the past, with names like R5-D4 and Rebel Commander, now they just labeled this guy "Cairo Swordsman". Not Mohammad Al-Fakr The Great or Youssouf El-Mahilla The Invincible, but Cairo swordsman.

Kid A: Let's play with our Indiana Jones? Raiders of the Lost Ark? action figures!
    Kid B: Dang! My mom told me to be home in 5 seconds.
    Kid A: No problem! You can be the Cairo swordsman? then.

Further, Kenner had some major problems in the vehicle and set department. With no cool spaceships and settings to pick from, it must have been hard to come up with anything. And it shows. Behold...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/Zebo/ebe197.jpg]

The Streets of Cairo playset! Recreate the spectacular events from Raiders of the Lost Ark? with this life-like fruitstand? and angry salesman?! angrysalesmansoldseparately. I mean, there are only so many times Indy and Marion can visit that fruitstand before you get very, very bored. It's kind of limiting when all Indy's adventures have to include a Cairo fruitstand all the time.

Indy: I know where the golden Ramuth icon is! Mongolia! Let's hurry before the Nazis get there!
    Marion: Alright, but we'll have to make a stopover in Cairo and buy some fruit along the way!

For good measure, here is The Man With The Hat himself:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/Zebo/indy3.jpg]

Obnoxiousreflectingphotoflashnotincluded. But take a good look at the package, and you see the real death knell to this toyline: Poseable, articulated at the neck, shoulders, hips and knees. Mein Gott. The figures of the second toyline, for Temple of Doom, didn't have any of these features, but alas, it was too late. There were no Last Crusade figures made, and the line died a premature death.

One action figure is missing from this line, though. God?. (By the way, has it never surprised you that Indy, after discovering God exists for crying out loud, didn't become a strange hermit priest for the rest of his life?).

2. Howard The Duck -- The Video Game

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/Zebo/howardscreen.jpg]

I thought I'd better show you that image right away, or you wouldn't believe me. That is an actual s
  2. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Thanks Debo

But Indiana Jones Perfume? You must be kidding? Ah well, it's the one thing Phantom Menace lacked as far as merchandising goes.
  3. sergejg Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Howard the duck was the most impresive thing to me, hehehe. great post Debo!
  4. Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Master

star 4
    All hail Debo! ;)

Is it just me, or does the torso and head of the Indy figure bear a striking resemblance to the Bespin Han figure?
  5. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    Genius. Pure genius.
    Debo... are you going to cover all of the Indiana Jones video games, too? ;)
  6. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I might have that particular chapter covered. :p

7. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Cool thread Debo. I had most of the Indiana Jones figures and the Well of Souls playset. Got a picture of that one? :)
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Can you take digital images of your toys & playset (if you still have them)?

If you can / do, PM me and I'll give you my email address - I can host the pics for you / us to use in this thread.

You could even take "scenario suggestions" from the floor here, and pose your figures accordingly. :D

9. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I would if I still had them, jp-30. Unfortunately, they disappeared, like many kids' toy collections, into the "Great Unknown". Meaning, the parents probably sold them during garage sales or they were lost during a move. :(
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    They probably all were looking at the Arc when the lid was taken off...

;)
  11. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [face_laugh] That's as good an explanation as any.
  12. flyingseal Jedi Padawan

star 4
    They made a Howard the duck game ??? :eek: :_|
  13. deltron_zero Jedi Master

star 6
    [face_laugh]

Oh Casper, you certainly do have a way with nostalgia.
  14. ferelwookie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Dude! I HAD the Indiana Jones action figures! Indy, Toht, the Swordsman, Marion and even the white horse that Indy "borrows"! Their knees bent like G.I. Joe action figures. I totally destroyed them all but remember them well. :D

Howard the Duck video game? That's just scary! :p
  15. dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight

star 5
  16. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    If Star Wars had a perfume do you think it would be called Attack of the Cologne?
  17. malducin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have a question, who did that Howard the Duck game. I've never heard of it and never heard of LucasArts working on them.

By the way great post Debo. I remember having some of the Indy toys. Ahhh the memories.
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    > If Star Wars had a perfume do you think it would be called Attack of the Cologne?

[face_laugh]
  19. Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan

star 4
  20. Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Master

star 4
    So, anything to add here? Was this just a one-shot?
  21. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    There's more to come. I have an entry planned. But I haven't had the time to compile it as yet.

But I guess you were asking Debo whether he has more in store...

What does your heart tell you?
  22. Debo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There'll be more. But don't push me, okay? I find it harder and harder to work / write on the computer for large amounts of time without having some sort of brain seizure or other.
  23. Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not trying to push; I just have an interest in this thread. :)
    I'm not interested in pushing anyone to seizures.
  24. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "It's really interesting to think of the things future diggers will find and have to explain."

It's even more interesting to think of why these things will be/were buried. What kind of creepy 8-year old was sitting in his backyard burying his Willow lunchbox?

Amazing.
  25. Debo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What kind of creepy 8-year old was sitting in his backyard burying his Willow lunchbox

If you have one, you want to bury it, obviously.

;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.