main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Future Anthology Films Possibly On Hold

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think I speak for all of us here:

=((:_|

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Always with them what cannot be done. This is why they fail.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Well this is the first of the changes that will be occurring at Lucasfilm due to the fall out of Solo. It’s going to be interesting to see how they continue to change direction. I don’t expect to see any movies announced for 2020 right now unless there is a slam dunk pitch. The fate of Star Wars is once again in the hands of JJ

5. ohms

ohms Jedi Master

Jul 7, 2002
    Would be a shame. I though Solo was fine, not great. Would have definitely made more in December.
    They should stick to December, and 1 movie a year or less.

I'd like to see more SW Stories though, even if they are made for their streaming service.
    Solo could have been made for that, with a lower budget and been just as good.

crazyewok, Ridley Solo, jaqen and 2 others like this.
  6. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think this is definitely for the best......for now. If there is too much talk about which stories they will go with, which directors will do what, and how those films will perform based on what Solo has done, it will take some of the eyes away from IX. ALL eyes need to be on IX and only IX in terms of movies right now. There's no doubt this was at least 50% coming from Disney itself and rightfully so.

This does not mean the end. It just means press pause and focus where focus should be.

8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    According to Collider the focus is on finishing IX and the ST and then moving on to the RJ Trilogy.

AndrewPascoe and MaciekRS like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Am I somewhat disappointed we won't get a Kenobi or Boba Fett film? Yes. Am I annoyed the Darth Maul cameo from Solo might be left dangling indefinitely? Absolutely.

But I am also strangely okay with this. I think focusing on Johnson's trilogy and Benioff & Weiss' series is just about the smartest thing Lucasfilm could do for Star Wars right now. I genuinely think the brand's longevity and public standing depends upon both, and I think more and more standalone films (which haven't really stood alone) set during the OT-era and focused on pre-existing supporting and background characters and/or events that connect directly back to the Saga films would be harmful in the long run. For us hardcore fans, movies like that are a treat, like getting the EU material we've all been familiar with in comics, video games, and books brought to the big screen. For general audiences, I think the prospect is and has been far less exciting. If this news is true, I really do believe this move may be for the best, and it's something I've been feeling for a little while, since before Solo came out.

The only thing I'm currently worried about is Abrams' ability to craft a satisfying ending, but that's neither here nor there in regards to any of this.

11. Scavver

Scavver Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 15, 2018
    I don't think it'll be permanent. I think they want to focus on IX and onward because that's what most fans seem interested in. However Solo was not what a lot of fans asked for, but a Kenobi movie was, so it's hard to say if they will put a full stop on any plans for Kenobi if fans are outraged enough by the news.

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Now it is time for them to reassess what the spinoffs should be.

And then make that Kenobi/Maul/Fett all-star movie! No more solo outings.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  13. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I find it odd that they still plan to make the other "trilogies" if they put the Obi wan film on Hold.

Surely there is as much risk of Rian Johnsons films not doing well also? infact if the first one doesn't do great then what do they do then? i feel like by this logic lucasfilm doesn't quite know what they are doing.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I know this might be a smart move for the long run of the franchise, and the ever fickle "general audience" must be courted, but I am very disappointed. The Anthologies are the films that I've truly enjoyed since the Disney takeover, and my faith/interest in the ST has seriously waned. It leaves me with less to be excited about, for now. I need to know something about the RJ/W & B projects before I can get more interested them.

16. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    Isn't Rian's set in the future? It seems they want to move forward.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We really don't know when his films will be set. I'm not sure the time period is really that important though. At least it doesn't appear to be to Rian.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Don't know. But then isn't that tv show by Favreau set between 6 and 7? so already they are putting something in a past setting.

19. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I would say RJ's in the future and W&B on the past.

MaciekRS, ohms and Scavver like this.
  20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This is the best way to see what fans really want and what they are really willing to pay for. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. When the heat turns up for the desire to see an Obi-Wan film, an old Jedi order film, or who knows what, that will be the time for them to make that particular movie. But if you have 5 different directors and no real direction or focus, yeah, it's time to put it on ice.

Ridley Solo and KissMeImARebel like this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Not if they've come to believe that an ongoing, more serialized narrative like the trilogies offer is more vital to the broader success of the movies than they knew.

22. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    I think you guys are right. It might mean Rian's trilogy is their focus after IX then, since it's movies and not series related I'm guessing. Could be wrong.

23. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    They don't say which trilogy in the article whether it's going to be DB Weiss and David Benioff or the RJ Trilogy. The article clearly states what the next Star Wars trilogy will be. Reading between the lines a bit I have a feeling that whatever trilogy gets the next green light will be the trilogy that they think will succeed the most worldwide especially in overseas market like China where Star Wars has been on a downward trend since TFA and there were reviews from China that said TLJ insulted the audience as it did very poorly in China. Which is concerning for Disney as Marvel does very well there.

For all we know the next trilogy could even come from someone else entirely it will depend on what they feel will be the most successful overall!

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I completely understand the bolded. Me, I'm excited in the idea of what the RJ/W&B projects can be, and also by what Johnson in particular has said about his. But it's wholly possible I won't like either, or I'll be disappointed in the directions they end up going in. And really, as much as I'm personally not too shook by this decision, I'm genuinely disappointed for the fans who have been into the Anthology films more than anything recently. I know this sucks for you and the rest of them, and it blows knowing you're all disappointed. I do hope whatever the future films end up being, that they spark your interest.

25. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm so happy we got SOLO. I wasn't excited for it, but I just love the movie to pieces. I just want to give it a big hug every time I see it. So thankful we got it on the big screen.

Having said that, I think this is the right decision from LFL. All focus toward the Saga and the next steps after that.

I still think LFL will return to the Anthology films set in the Dark Times, but they'll be released on Disney's streaming service and be a huge incentive for SW fans to purchase the streaming service so they can see Kenobi and Bounty Hunters. They just won't be on the big screen.

It stings. But it's the right move at this time.

Son of Sith, ChrisLyne, jaqen and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.