main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Future Anthology Films Possibly On Hold

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Yes, there is, with the number of questions and rumors going on now with regards to Lucasfilm if you're going to release a news story to refute the claims you don't essentially respond with conjecture that says we are still working on something. You actually come out with a piece of news and say something that will affirm what you are doing. For example, they would state that the report is incorrect and we can confirm that "Star Wars Story" sub-brand is alive and well and some of our current film projects will be in this line of films. Instead, they say multiple films are in development. They don't confirm they are Anthology movies, for all we know they are working on a third trilogy now, this report is essentially the exact same type of rumor they are trying to refute and in my eye is effectively meaningless. If it assuages your fears I am glad, I have been following Hollywood for too long to take a report this bare bones at face value.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    With a CGI Bea Arthur?

B3 likes this.
  3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    You know, if it was a small role I could actually go for that.

Lol as if they would possibly make it a large role. I need help.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well he seemed to know that Mos Eisley spaceport was a wretched hive of scum and villainy in ANH. It's not impossible to think he went there for some reason.
    And leaving Luke....well he left him with Anakin's actual step brother and sister for God's sake. How careless is that if he didnt think he was safe enough?

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Actually, so could I. :p

Just one more round, friend
    Then homeward bound, friend

B3 likes this.
  6. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Sorry about my rant yesterday @Darth Chiznuk. Sometimes my passion for Star Wars gets the best of me. 8-}

Back on Topic. I am glad to hear that this Rumor, about the Kenobi, and future Standalone Star Wars movies, wasn't true. [face_dancing] [face_party]

Trikuza23 likes this.
  7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Sorry but they aren't going to announce what they are working on until they feel the time is right to announce those things. Online gossip created by rumor sites isn't going to sway them from that plan.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  8. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Confirming that your brand is still in development and making a strong statement doesn't mean you need to confirm the movies your making. Just saying we're working on stuff is the worst response ever. In Hollywood development doesn't even mean anything until production they chose to just say we are working on stuff still. To me, that's damning because it was supposed to be a response to rumors and it's basically a reiteration of something TFN already reported. If this assuages you good for you, knowing the industry I will call it like I see it and say where there is smoke there is fire.

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    When you are dealing with rumor sites that give out faulty info all the time (largely just to bring clicks to their site) just saying you are still working on things is all the info you need to release. I think you might take these scoop sites more seriously than you should.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  10. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Then annoying thing about this decision is that a Kenobi film would be a success even if it did Solo numbers. Kenobi doesn't need to have $200+ million budget. Logan was made for less than $100 million, and probably a 1/3rd of that went to salaries of Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart, and Deadpool's budget was $60 million, so a film with Kenobi set on Tatooine could easily be done for less than $100 million. A smaller film would feel more personal and suit Kenobi better anyway, and there are ton of old Western and Samurai stories that could be used as a template for Kenobi.

If they're holding back on Kenobi because they haven't found a good script, then I'm all for that, but if they don't want to do a Kenobi film because it won't be a prestige film, thinking that every Star Wars film needs to be juggernaut, then that's a big mistake. Not every SW film has to be a blockbuster. That type of a film doesn't suit some characters. Less is sometimes more.

Pensivia, B3, Jedi Daniel and 9 others like this.
  11. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I dunno, I think that's what the audience expects when they see a Star Wars movie - a blockbuster. The other stories can probably be saved for TV or other media.

As for the turn around, lol - I guess the original news source can be ignored from now on if LFL goes ahead with everything. Either way, I'm not interested in anymore Solo, Lando, Fett, etc - Kenobi might work, but it has to be interesting enough to compel a large audience.

MaciekRS likes this.
  12. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    In all the years I have followed Collider I have yet to see them publish a bull**** clickbait rumor unlike many other sites out there. You are entitled to your opinion on what LFL should do with all of the rumors coming out about them I respectfully disagree. If the rumor is pure BS then ignore it don't respond and leave it alone, making some half-assed attempt at it with ABC your own damn company doesn't do much IMO to refute it. It's clear we won't agree on this and only time will tell what's really occurring at LFL.

13. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    Hey, I don't mind anyone reading things a different way, I can only say what I think after all, and all anyone else can do is the same. That said, oh boy, does a "sources" sourced news story from the other end of the hall of your own company reek to high heaven to me. Sure, things are "in development", I would never have expected otherwise. But in my opinion (which is all it is, take it for what it's worth), this has all indicia of the wheels coming completely off the bus. The fact that somebody, somewhere, might be writing a treatment effectively on "spec" does little to turn back the tide. If this is all they can come up with, then, things are worse than I thought. I've done a fair amount of communication counseling, and this, this looks, let's just say...bad.

2Cleva likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, there was the time they reported that they're "sources" told them that Snoke was Darth Plagueis. This was like a month before the film was released and was so obviously fake that when it was revealed the "source" was a magazine published outside the US that had accidentally used a picture of Plagueis for a little blurb about Snoke they were widely ridiculed for it.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Refute what? It was a rumor. There was nothing to refute except to clear the air, which they did. It would be different if Collider said: "So and so at Lucasfilm or Disney said this".

16. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014
    I think this is a real possibility. Disney needs to have a lot of strong content for their new streaming service. Some of today's shows on cable TV/streaming, like Game of Thrones, are better than most movies being made. If Disney eventually decides that they don't want to risk the huge budget for a Kenobi theatrical release, then creating a more intimate mini-series for TV, would be an ideal choice. If the only way we get a Kenobi story, is on TV, then I am game. :)

And I really do feel that a Kenobi movie has been in the works. And seeing Ewan (with beard) at the Hollywood Premiere for Solo, just made me even more confident about it. To my knowledge, Ewan never showed up at any of the other Post PT Star Wars Premieres. It seems as if he was giving the Fans a hint. ;)

MaciekRS likes this.
  17. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Watching what the corporation is doing, rather than LFL, streaming is the focus, and mergers and acquisitions.

They're securing content, and preparing for war in that market segment. Fighting battles to rush out anthologies is clearly too far off base to bother with and they're course correcting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fett and Obi end up as Netflix style straight to streaming movies down the track, though.

Currently, I'm pretty disappointed and confused.

The sideshow here is what is happening in the movie production side of LFL. Were Daldry and Mangold ever officially hired? Were they fired?

Seems Disney is taking a firmer hand on the reigns now. For while Fett and Obi, and to a lesser extent Lando were all unnoficial, they've all been mentioned by senior LFL people at one point or another.

Seems the company was spooked before Solo was even released, and post release this is the firm reaction.

Edit: lolwhat? Movies still on? Message to self best to read 160 posts into a thread before posting, not 130ish. :p

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    ABC News Is a Legitimate News Site I trust way more then The Hollywood Reporter or Deadline. If ABC News says Lucasfilm Is telling us more films in the A Star Wars Story style are on the way and This report that we are putting the films on hold is bogus then I can assure you all ABC Is not going to make that up. ABC News and ABC network are affiliated with Disney but they are not Disney,
    http://www.theforce.net/story/front...e_Unannounced_Films_In_Development_181094.asp

I will also point out the article claims several A Star Wars Stories are in the works I am sure Kenobi Is still happening!

19. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    So you think it happenstance that ABC is the one with this "report"? No, this is Disney giving (very weak) support to Lucasfilm. And further, "Where are the chancellor's ambassadors?" You don't find it the least bit odd, that upon major media rumors that the Star Wars project is in disarray, Kathleen Kennedy is nowhere to be seen? Instead leaving messaging to "sources" whispering to the friendliest mainstream news outlet around. Something is wrong. You can believe me or not, but in my opinion there is something significantly wrong at Lucasfilm.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Did you click on the Link on my post they claim ABC Is refuting the Hollywood Reporter Story that they still have A Star Wars Stories in the works that what The Hollywood Reporter reported is bogus. I got the story from TheForce.net …

I trust ABC News they are a legitimate New source and Liberal I like them. From what It sounds like this might have been put out there by Kathleen Kennedy I don't think with Solo in the theater they will officially announce Boba Fett and Kenobi, may be in the fall after Solo's Blu-Ray goes on sale. Just look at past Lucasfilm Marketing of the Films they don't want to overshadow the film in the theater or coming out on Blu-Ray. The Next Marketing we will see Is a Tweet of a Clapper Board for episode 9 Start of filming In July 2018!

Trinu 3.0 and Trikuza23 like this.
  21. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014
    Disney's bidding war with Comcast, for 21st Century Fox's movie assets, isn't helping things right now.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It looks like they're going to end up winning that war. They countered Comcast's all-cash $65 billion bid with their own re-up of $71.3 in both cash and shares, instead of their initial $53 billion share-only bid, which it appears Fox is going to take.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  23. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    So Lucas film screw up by first pissing off half the fan base with TLJ, then cocking up the develoment of solo and running over budet and neglecting marketing and there response is to punish the fans?

Kathleen Kennedy needs to go, not the new films [face_phbbbbt]

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    It aint over yet. Comcast is attempting a hostile takeover and will likely respond to this Disney counter. The one thing in Disney's favor is the head start they have in starting the entire process for approval with the government. They're already well down the line compared to Comcast. Disney might simply reach the finish line first.

25. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    See, this is what we're not going to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
    Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.