main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Future of the Star Wars Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ernesto1035, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    Considering the entirety of what is being done to the franchise, from TCW to 3D re-releases to Blu-ray re-re-re-rereleases to the Mandalorian Retcon-gate, but taking into account things like SWTOR, TFU, and 1313, and even this mildly preposterous "Star Wars: Detours": What direction do you think that the franchise would go if George Lucas were ever he were ever to leave Star Wars alone and concentrate on making new things, or, more likely, fall into a black hole and be spaghettified? (No disrespect to the Maker, but that's probably what it would take)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I think it could stay interestingly different from other stuff with instructions never to obviously remake/reboot or it could quite easily eventually go the way of any other franchise like Batman, Superman or whatever where it gets reinvented in different forms, by different authors. Though I think that core story that wraps itself up over the films might keep that from ever happening. That's the core, it finished itself, whereas a lot of those other franchises never did an arch and finished and therefore are much more open. It's an interesting thing to ponder.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What's so preposterous about Detours? Everyone was fine with Family Guy, Robot Chicken, etc...

4. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Something tells me we're about to find out. [face_worried]

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Even if Lucas does take a signficant step away, Star Wars likely won't change that much during his lifetime. I could see the live-action series (if it ever comes to be) being a bit of a style change, but overall still in line with what we've seen.

If Lucas were to one day just say screw it, effectively give up on his story/franchise and sign away all vestiges of control, then the OT reboot cycle would start rolling out, developed in the style of a Whedon, Abrams, or, god forbid, Nolan.

6. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    The humor was great and I definitely appreciated the Robot Chicken/Family Guy voice actors. I was kind of thrown by the animation style. It was bizarre matching the well-recognized voices to these Mighty Muggs-esque characters. And I can't really figure out if it's geared to an audience of children or it's supposed to be for adults.

But I loved the Ackbar part. And the stormtrooper fist-bump-for-luck was hilarious!

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Still, calling it "preposterous" is a bit too much, in my opinion.

8. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    It does convey a certain negative connotation, I guess. I say "preposterous" because I think it fit perfectly. "Preposterous" is defined as "contrary to reason or common sense, absurd". I think the comedy like that would definitely fit the bill as something contrary to reason or absurd, especially considering that it is supposed to take place in the Star Wars Universe, which is known for it's strong dramatic elements and theme. I'm sure that the title itself, "Detours", implys a departure from the Star Wars norm.

I believe it's sort of a tongue-in-cheek comedy. That's certainly the tone I picked up from the quotes on it's page at Wookieepedia. Seems like a sitcom, too, or maybe a variety show. Either way, looks promising. That's why I wonder if we'll see more of things like this in the future of the franchise.

9. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    *implies

I hate grammatical errors.

10. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Yeah, from what I've seen, it's essentially a better-animated version of Robot Chicken, albeit, slightly less funny (but still amusing nonetheless). I've seen some fans freak out on YouTube about how it "destroys the established canon" and is "making a farce out of SW"... Really? They missed the point. It's supposed to be a spoof comedy.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I, for one, can not wait for Christopher Nolan's The Dark Jedi Rises...

Darth Vader: "BrAArrAh RAaaRAH DAAArrk ScchIIIdde!"

Luke Skywalker: "Grraggle rraaaaaggggle raaahraah!!!!!!!"

Darth Vader: "UuuUUUsh the ForshUUUsh, belUgaHH!"

C-3PO: "If I may expound on the subtext, this is the moment when Master Luke decides he'll be more than just a man. More than a Jedi Knight. He'll be his father's son! Blimey!"

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  12. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_rofl]

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Whedon & Nolan would make GREAT Star Wars films. Nolan should do the Dark Horse comics "Knight of the Old Republic", and Whedon should do "Legacy"

Or the other way around :D

sinkie likes this.
  14. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    Whedon for Legacy...I can see that almost too clearly! I hope someone at Lucasfilm just stuck their nose in here!

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    When I watched Firefly I was reminded SO much of Legacy!

16. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    I think it would be great to see them bring back some killer video games. Why can't they make a new Rogue Squadron? I would LOVE to play mission that took place in the EU. Imagine a game about the Bacta War! Or what about a Star Wars FPS? Republic Commando had so much potential. Why can't they continue that? It could be a sequel with Imperial Commandos, or even the Hand of Judgement.

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I didn't care for "Firefly". Not at all. And as much as I like Christopher Nolan . . . I don't know. I think it's best that he stays away from STAR WARS. In fact, I would prefer if no one "revamps" the Star Wars Saga after Lucas. Just leave it alone.

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I agree. It'll happen one day, but I'd rather it didn't.

Great though his Batman trilogy was (and utterly magnificent in its reinvention of the Joker) personally I think Nolan took the Batman franchise just a little bit too far - somewhat too grim and serious - just as the series started by Tim Burton was a touch too wacky to begin with & degenerated into cringeworthy embarrassment. Unlike his friend in Metropolis, Batman's yet to be realised perfectly on the big screen, and it may well be impossible anyway.

While I'm sure many a SW fan wishes, in hindsight, that the PT had been a sort of Star Wars reboot in the style of Nolan's Batman trilogy, it was never meant to cater solely to the fans who had grown up with the OT & were now 16 years older, it was meant to fit directly with the OT as Episodes I-III of the existing series. Again, somewhat impossible to be done 100% perfectly, given the 16 year gap and the need to cater to both an older existing fanbase along with new viewers. For all its flaws, the PT did as much as it could to try to have the best of both worlds. How well it did so has been the subject of savage debate for over a decade.

Back in the 1990s, while the PT was still in development, I desperately hoped for the one thing that could never happen, yet could have made the new SW trilogy perfect - the involvement of GL's estranged old buddy Francis Ford Coppola. Lucas & Coppola driving the PT could have been an even greater collaboration than Lucas & Spielberg on Indiana Jones.
    But again, that was based on my own existing preconceptions of how GL envisioned the PT - I saw Anakin Skywalker as a Michael Corleone-type figure, not the parallel to Luke he actually was. For better or worse, the new trilogy was meant to appeal to all ages as far as it could, like any series of Star Wars films, and I imagine GL always thought it would.
    While the PT had an inevitably darker storyline established by the OT, it was still part of the Star Wars Saga from the start, it wasn't going to suddenly be aimed at mature audiences only.

I've got my own issues with TPM & AOTC, but ROTS pushed things pretty far, & achieved higher classifications worldwide than any other SW films. PG-13 in the US, M in Australia - every other SW film had a PG rating in both the US and the existing equivalent in Australia (PG in the 1970s & 80s used to be the rather harsh NRC - 'Not Recommended for Children').

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    You're getting it the wrong way around. Batman was perfectly realized on the big screen by the Nolan trilogy. Superman has yet to make a film free of camp. Hopefully the Snyder/Nolan "Man of Steel" will do it properly finally.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  20. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I disagree a lot with the wording of OP's post.

The future AND PRESENT of Star Wars is GREAT. Realistically speaking its the best and most alive it has been since 2005 if not MORE so (and thats really saying something) and its thanks to George and LFL.

We got a very popular weekly SW tv show, now that the Saga is finished we get the satisfaction of seeing/anticipating each Episode in order as classics returning to the BIG SCREEN and in 3D! We have a major (and very popular) MMORPG with TOR. Then we got the force unleashed on top of that. And soon we will have 1313 which is total fan service (cuz god knows nothing is EVER dark enough for the bloodthirsty over 20 year olds). Darth Maul is just about as popular as boba fett and we actually got him BACK making much of TCW even darker than it already was which was already very dark for a kids show (we see suicides, torture, beheadings and too many others very adult themes to even start listing). We got another SW TV show with Detours which is both hilarious and family friendly. The blu-ray was the first COMPLETE box set to have all six films together in one complete package in history. It was a major landmark and it did shockingly well (the best selling blu-ray in the history of the format) and ended up receiving several "blu-ray of the year" awards.

Just LOOK at events like celebrations 5 and 6. Look at how covered by the media and high profile they were. Thousands of people turned out in absolutely amazingly creative costumes (there was a guy in a boba fett costume that literally flew in from 40 feet high on an ACTUAL REAL jetpack. The video is on youtube.

Look at 6 or 7 years ago and look at now. It is a BIG difference. We are everywhere. We are on family guy, we are on the Clevland show, we are on robot chicken and 30 rock almost regularly to the point where a season wouldn't even feel right anymore without a few references. we are getting so much Star Wars in so many different ways targeted at so many different demographics and ages and still people are hungry for more. That is very very impressive to say the least. At this point it could almost be called a national craze if it wasn't for the fact that its actually international.

Fanboys (a whole feature length movie by, for and about SW fans and fandom) was released nationwide.

Lucas DID do other major projects/films besides SW. A whole new Indiana Jones film (the first one in over a decade) was released and Red Tails was released.

Snoop Dogg has a whole line of Star Wars clothes and sneakers and fitted hats and we are not talking about $18 dollar ironic SW t-shirts here, no, we are talking about $180 dollar track suits and classy, serious artistic SW incorporated designs on everything from jackets to jeans to cuff links.

Marc Ecko has THEIR OWN whole line of SW clothes and hoodies. The same zip up hoodies that first ushered in the whole 21 century "geek-sheek" trend in clothing back in 2006 and still is prominent now.

Star Wars had two very popular Superbowl commercials two years in a row. SW flash mobs in public are becoming a trend. And all the while the 501st have still been doing what they do all around the world.

I just dont know what more any reasonable person could ask for at this point. At this point it has never been more clear that anyone who is somehow restless/unsatisfied with SW in general simply just wants it to reach out and specifically carter to them. As in each individual persons personal "idea" that they have in their head of what they want SW to "be" or "give" them. IMO I just cant help but think that fans really, truly are simply unconsolable at this point in the game. How could you possibly want more? What more could you even want before it becomes completely unrealistic.

If I were to go back in time to like early 2006 and post the things I just listed on these boards people would be shocked awed with pride and excitement at such a cultural bombardment. Its like a guy who hit the lottery and became a multimillionaire and after a while gets board and wants MORE.

If you genuinely are just curious about whats next in the coming years for SW, than I would simply say that realistically speaking we got the live action TV series coming (even though they said its on the shelf you know we will get it sooner or latter, they have been very upfront about that) we also got plenty of TCW left and (what should be) the most important of all...THE FILMS themselves being brought back to the big screen in 3D. After that who knows how many novels and comics and major conventions we got coming.

Its all good. And we should calm down, take a breath and be a little grateful and a little prideful. People didnt even know if there would be anything else once the Saga itself was finally completed with ROTS. These are the golden years. And boy are they golden.

KED12345 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  21. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    I very much look forward to future Star Wars endeavours. And I disagree with it being a national, or international, craze. Star Wars is no more a craze than air conditioning in is a craze. Star Wars has moved beyond that. It's ubiquitous. It's a part of life. After 30+ years, it is still burning bright. And not as a niche, not as an underground cult following, but still in the public eye. I would say it's still relevent, but it's not even that. Star Wars is an institution in popular culture, drawing more people every year. And I love it.

But I think Lucas can also, at the same time, try new things. Why not start a new franchise? A new universe, with new characters, a new history? If he had such a fantastic and revolutionary sucess in his execution of Star Wars, why not see what else he can come up with?

I've read interviews where Lucas says he's retired because he says that everytime he releases something the fans hate him for it. I think it's because he keeps going back and changing it. And that is my beef with him.

Sure, the Blu-ray release was great. I purposely didn't buy other editions because I was waiting for the crown jewel. I wanted all six films in super high definition in a single edition, and that's what they released.

I. DIDN'T. WANT. MORE. CHANGES.

Goodness, it never ends! I couldn't believe it! There's, like, five or six different releases! Lucas says that the original theatrical releases were only 30%-40% of his vision for what Star Wars would've been. He keeps making new changes, saying it brings the movies closer to what he had in mind. I think that's bogus. I'm pretty sure he was winging it. And the continuity problems and controversy that each release has spawned... I can't even get into that. I'm sure these forums have entire servers dedicated to that that particular topic (I'm looking at you, Blu-ray changes. I'm looking at you with big, blinking, Ewok googly eyes...)

Ok, I know. Lucas created it, he has the right to do whatever the heck he want's with it. Fine. But that doesn't mean he has to be a jerk about it! The movies were fine! Ob-Wan's new Krayt-Dragon-With-Tourret's-Syndrome Call didn't help any!

But I digress. The point is, I love seeing all the new Star Wars stuff. That's great, I love it, it's fantastic. But I wouldn't mind if Lucas were to take a step back and see the bigger picture. He said himself that, as far as he's concerned, the Star Wars galaxy begins and ends in the feature films. I think that he should really take into account how much of the sucess of Star Wars is in the EU. I liked Star Wars well enough, but the EU is what made it for me. No other franchise has such a huge history, written by so many people, across so many mediums, all just weaving together the story that exists in a galaxy far, far away. It's what sets Star Wars apart.

And to sell that out for a plot device, taking something like Mandalorians and reducing them to what is essentially a bunch peace-loving hippies living in treehouses, is just a callous disregard for what makes Star Wars special.

So I think Lucas should take a breather and make something new. And I mean new new. Indy 4 was a sequel and Red Tails was a historical tribute. Great, but niether brought anything new to the table. I think Lucas can come up with a with a new hero, a new villain. A new struggle and a new cause. A new epic. I think needs to step back and see what happens with Star Wars if he isn't around. That way, any problems come up, he can fix it and plan ahead for the franchise's future. Make sure that whoever is left holding the reigns can do the job right and not butcher the saga.

BDOT, sinkie and Yunners like this.
  22. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I for one look forward to someone else being in charge of Star Wars. It'll be nice to have someone who knows what he's doing behind the scenes for a change.

Yunners likes this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    GL knows what he's doing...he's made very successful films and now TCW.

BDOT, obi-rob-kenobi4 and Alexrd like this.
  24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Clone Wars made Mandalorians hippies in tree houses? Maybe I should actually watch more of that show in that case. EU Klingolorians suck.

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Oh yeah. Those that follow the Mandalorian (warrior, nomadic) culture of thousands of years are now terrorists, while a bunch of bigoted, well-meaning pacifists are in power. These pacifists are in favor with the Republic, too. The New Mandalorian government does not last long, thank the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.