main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Future Star Wars RPG Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Cursive, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nktalloth

Nktalloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    Don't worry, it's not just you. Fable was a weak throw at an RPG with some actually very good innovations. It had a weak plot, and the open-endedness was half-arsed.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I'll admit that one of my biggest problems with the KOTOR games is the fact that you can't keep on exploring after the game has finished :(

3. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Innovations? Lol, did you say innovations?

Hell, most of the so called revolutionary aspects of Fable were already introduced in GTA: San Andreas in a way. Things like Girlfriends, body progression, eating/drinking etc etc etc.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    LucasArts has to get the ball rolling and finish KOTOR-3, but it has to be well done. I did not like the fact that the second game had a crappy ending and you spent all that time building up your characters so that you really can't use them towards the end. I was very bothered by the fact that after you play the starship level, you know that when the Malachor 5 level comes up, you are on your own. I would also like a little freeform flying in the next game. Why not? We can practically do almost anything else with the rest of the force powers.

Yes, I would like to see an rpg game in the OT era, but especially in the clone wars era.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yes, you keep traditions, because LA isn't the one who gets to decide when you can break this traditions.

There is no need to play after the game is finished, your character is nearly allpowerful, there is simply no reason to go back. Especially not, if the game ends like KOTOR I or II.
    As for you example, in GTA you aren't the most powerful person of the galaxy (or city in this case) and have nothing to do anyway, so yes, you can have the game don't end when the story is finished.
    Apart from that, GTA's story isn't even close to being restrictive, you can pretty much do anything you want throughout the game, KOTOR is the complete opposite.

6. Nktalloth

Nktalloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    Ah. Well, you see I never played San Andreas. But I was referring to slaughtering towns and buying them, scarring, tattoos, and peasant groupies.

I agree that a game with an ending like in KotOR II would be impossible to be an open ended one. However the All-powerful problem can be solved by having monsters appear by level listings, meaning that as your character progresses random spawns become more powerful as well.

7. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    So you're saying that after the game is beaten, there still couldn't been any more long drawn out side quest to do?

Again, I point out Morrowind. At the end of that game, you're all powerful and whatnot, but yet you're still able to explore. Yes the main quest was complete, but there is still many more guilds to join, more terrain to explore, more rare items to find etc etc etc.
    Yes, you keep traditions, because LA isn't the one who gets to decide when you can break this traditions.

8. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    I think the should make them till the time line in which the Jedi Apprentice books came out....then make a game called the Jedi Apprentice!!!And go on till the time line ends!

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    A kotor style game should end with the credits.-but other rpgs in the GFFA could be more open ended.

10. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    A KOTOR style game could still end with credits but after the credits roll, the game goes back to you and you can go and finish up some side quest and whatnot.

Look at the Zelda games for as an example.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Again, why would you do that?

KOTOR is story-driven, the sidequests are just bonus, you can finish them before the story is finished. There is no need to spend developement time on things that are completely unneccessary.
    Even if, for some odd reason, someone would think about something like that, it wouldn't work for every game, KOTOR II for example.

If you want to play a game with an open end, play Morrowind again, because you will never see this style in KOTOR. Neither the series nor Star Wars itself have ever been that way, and that won't change anytime soon.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't think an open-finish game would work, particularly with the style of KOTOR.

*Revan becomes Dark Lord of the Galaxy*
    'Hmm, now I think I'll go back to Tatooine and hang out for a bit.'

13. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    You have a point, but my question is.... Why wouldn't you do that? I mean would KOTOR be any of a lesser game?

14. Vaan_Karrde

Vaan_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    I agree with you that KOTOR shouldn't be open ended. It's a story driven game heavy on the main quest and characters, like Final Fantasy, a good formula.

But why may 'no Star Wars RPG ever be open ended', like Morrowind? Unless I read your message wrong, how did you come to that conclusion? :confused:

An Oblivion Star Wars RPG wouldn't be a problem, it's a big galaxy and not every story has to be about a Jedi with a destiny you know.

15. TitanX7

TitanX7 Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    Sry if this has already been suggested but I didn't bother to read everythin because I am very tired and wish to sleep but the idea would be great so I just wanted to post it. A GTA cross FF star wars game set in an era after the Galactic Civil War. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.