main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Futuristic Cityscape

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by shkumbin, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shkumbin

shkumbin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2006
    a bit of update

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/devil2k3/test1-1.jpg]

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Add some Depth of Field to make the stuff in the distance blurred. I just fool with the settings in the camera settings then turn that off and use those settings in a Depth of Field effect and it works out pretty good.

3. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    Looks good :).
    Hei save out a z depth pass and use it to tweak blurriness in photoshop, faster than trying out depth of field values and rendering multiple times.

U have to set a the near and far range to camera to get z depth range right, its a gray scale image. Close stuff appear white, farther dark etc...

You could make the horizon more foggy, sky and ground bleeding more into.

Lookfilms

4. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    That's why I fool with the camera settings first, there's the preview option where it will quickly do multiple passes of the viewport and show you what it looks like, and although you wouldn't want to render out the frame like 12 times to get multiple passes like that, you can at least use the settings in the Depth of Field effect so that you don't have to render multiple times. Just remember to disable the depth of field in the camera settings after you are done looking at it or you'll be sorry.

5. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    ermm remember guys this is gonna be an animation so Im gonna have to composite in After Effects.
    The z-depth, how do u usually transfer it ? And what other passes would I want to save to get some good result for the final render?
    Thanks

6. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    Another view and some tweaks in AE this time:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/devil2k3/city5.jpg]

7. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    dude XD, i forgot, i havent used default max depth of field anymore. Yeah it previews in viewport. I use vray, does much faster depth of field.

U might wanna get sun light pass separate. Disable any other lights or GI and render so u get sun light only illuminating. And then a pass with GI only. and z depth.

Lookfilms

8. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    how to do a sun light then as ur using vray and im using the same?

9. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    Looks better with every picture :D

10. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    nice work... are you using greeble?

11. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
  12. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Yes he uses greeble, but not greeble only, that's why it looks good. Greeble is not enough by it-self, but if it's used as a support detail, it looks ok.

Nice work, keep going. Just this focal blur that is to sudden. it should defocus on a longer distance I think.

13. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    hmm Im kinda confused when it comes to rendering to be honest , I have some problems such as fog and stuff, but anyway, Im more confused in animation, the animation basically should be like:
    The camera flies a bit slow first in like 200-300 m above the ground and then starts faster and goes and hits 1 building , like it goes inside the room of that building, not like hit the building to destroy lol!
    I did an animation but it didnt come out pretty smooth, and 1 thing I didnt like at all was the sky wasnt rotating, and it seemed like Im rotating the whole ground, and not the camera rotating?
    Any ideas how to make the sky look rotate with the camera not just stand?
    cheers

14. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    If you set the environment map you should be able to change it from Screen to Spherical in the map settings. Just drag the map to a new material slot in the material editor from the environment window and you can access the map settings.

15. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    yea I know how to do that lool , but does that solve my problem?

16. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    It should, once you switch it to spherical it'll wrap the map around the environment as if it were on a sphere, so when you animate the camera, the background will move around as if it were the actual sky.

17. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    anyone has any cool hdri sky or spherical sky map , apart from that one on scifi3d and those hdri's on evermotion , they arent that much of a use!
    If anyone has some cool one please share !
    Thanks for help!

18. DarkSapiens

DarkSapiens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2005
    You can try this page:

http://www.philohome.com/skycollec/skycollec.htm

Good luck!

19. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    OMGGGGG, The file is corrupt, and I dont have any backup, this sucks big times :S:S:S, Im so pissed :S

20. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    In what way is it corrupt? Is it just not opening or is it crashing after you open it?

Try making a new scene and then merging the objects from the old one, you won't have any render settings/environment/effects data, but at least you'll have the model.

21. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    well this is sick because it says Openened Filename/path... and the scene is empty, like opening a new scene, I just dont understand why!
    Ill try ur suggestion but I doubt it will work!

22. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    yeah basically the scene is empty. I dont know what the hack....

23. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    You open the scene and there isn't anything there?

If you look at the file, does it have a significant size where it should have stuff there or is the file size really small?

24. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    yeah it is 70 MB , but I cant see it even on thumbnail preview while all other max files I can, this is just so strange :S
    Cheers

25. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    The thumbnail isn't an issue, that only shows up if the file was saved correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.