main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FX Test: Light Stick

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthArjuna, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Just a simple picture... I wanted it to look like the stick itself was glowing a certain color, but I didn't want a solid white core.

http://www.geocities.com/projectapocalypse2666/LightStick.JPG (Geocities Drill, copy and paste)

Thoughts? I have another fanfilm on the drawing board, a shorter less ambitious one than EotO, and this technique would be used in that... so it's sorta relevant ;)

2. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    Well, for what you were going for, I'd say you achieved it. As for if I like it or not, it's not my bag, but whatever floats your boat! :)

3. Jedikes1138

Jedikes1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    It looks good, but I just think it needs some inner glow.

4. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    I think it would look better if you had a mask where your hand goes round the stick,so it doesn't look like you just placed your glow on top of your footage and set it's transfer mode to screen .Just a thought :)

5. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    The glow is a little dark for my tastes, but I'm a big fan of bright glows. You wanted a glowing stick, and this works!

-Matt

6. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
    The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
    Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
    http://www.geocities.com/projectapocalypse2666/LightStick.JPG

Geocities sucks. [face_plain]

7. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah. Tell me about it.

Inner glow: If you look, it is slightly red. I took a mask of the original picture, same mask parameters as the others (same points, and set its feather to the lowest from Ryan_W.

Wow. That was clear as mud.

Ryan_W method of lightsabers. Three mask feathers were 25, 50, and 100. I then took the original picture, put it back on top, and used the control points from the other masks. I set layer opacity to 75%, and feathered it with a value of 25. Then i took that into the next comp, screened, and changed color balance. If you saw the source pic, you'd notice the core area of the stick is redder than normal- so it doesn't look like it just glows on a 2D plane.

8. Cammo_Man

Cammo_Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2003
    If you were looking for the glowing stick without a core, you got it. I don't, however, like the color too much. I realize red is an awsome color but it is a tad too dark for even this type of shot. Maybe a whiter, brighter red... maybe a real light blue/bright white. kinda like gandalf staff lol. anyways, thats my thoughts.

-Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.