main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hasbro Cinematic Universe (G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visonaries & ROM) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by slimybug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Are they suggesting this is a different person assuming the role of Cobra Commander then? Because obviously "Raza" is not JGL.

Then again, they have no earthly reason for him to ever take off the mask anyways, so I guess it really doesn't matter at all now who plays him, does it?

(unless they do more flashbacks, but, really, who needs any additional continuity to the first film when we all want to pretend anything that wasn't Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow or Zartan in the first film never happened?)

I'm guessing Destro stays in his prison while the Commander escapes.

...or is killed in the escape attempt so that he can regenerate and allow Destro to be played by David Tennant in the 3rd movie. ;)

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think it was confirmed it's the same character. It would be silly to make it a new character when he's not taking his mask off.

Unless it's Fred VII, of course. :p

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Good ol' Fred VII. His luck certainly turned on a dime, didn't it?

4. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. I always had a soft spot for him because I had the action figure, :(

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Channing Tatum is still in it, so it can't necessarily be a reboot right?

6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The movie starts with Zartan replacing the POTUS, that's, how Rise of Cobra ends. So no, not a reboot.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    GI Joe action figures were just some of the best(Zartan changed colors for pete's sake) and the comics were terrific. The cartoon was ok but I was more a comic guy.

I await a great Joe feature.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You reckon they're going to kill off Channing?

9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Rumor has the reshootings partly have to do with Duke surviving the assault shown in the trailer, now that Tatum's a star. But who knows.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the rumors were about expanding his friendship with The Rock- so if we're lucky, all that means is more prelude to the attack before he is killed or a flashback or two.

But we're probably not lucky and he lives.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I've read both, actually. Your version is much more believable and IMO desirable.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I can't imagine they'd reshoot so much of a finished movie just to insert his character into the "present day" plot which he previously had nothing to do with due to death, heh.

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I'd expect them to do like they did in the animated movie. Duke 'dies' early on but then shows up at the very end and is revealed to have just been in a coma.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    COBRA Kickstarter:

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I am a fan of the original cartoon. The first one is ok for a movie adaptation to me, beside they TOTALLY RUINED Baroness’ character. She’s my favorite cartoon female villain; in the cartoon she is cunning, charming, and ruthless. She is both a brave fighter and a master of disguise. In the movie she was portrayed as some poor victim of some nanomites and lover of Duke.

Glad the 2nd one didn’t have her. It’s more like a reboot rather than a sequel, most of the casts were changed. While I don’t like some characters’ portrayal in the first one, I still think they should have kept General Hawk and Scarlett. Duke died around 15 mins after the movie started. Not much plots were connected beside Zartan became the president. The style off the film also changed, beside the super orbital strike weapon Zeus, there is not much super weapons and super technology like in the first one. Roadblock is cool, Jaye is portrayed well. Flint is ok, and Bruce Wills is Bruce Wills.

The first few battles are cool. Zartan’s ambush, Firefly came to the rescue and the best of all, Snake Eyes and Jinx carried Storm Shadow and fight those red ninjas on Himalayas. That scene was really great to watch. At that point, I thought “WOW this movie really has improved quite a lot.”

Cobra Commander never mentioned he was Baroness’ brother or his relationship with Duke in this movie. Other than that he had a better mask, better suit and better voice than last one. Sadly, Dr. Mindbender didn’t show up in this one, either.

I don’t get why didn’t they rescue Destro, maybe simply because the story writers didn’t want Baroness to be involved? But shouldn’t they at least carry him away?

The next part of the story didn’t make too much sense. I don’t remember Jaye was ever a master of disguise like Baroness and Zarana, it’s ok to let her to use her beauty kidnap the poker guy, but infiltrate to dance with the President without disguise when the Joes were viewed as enemies? Isn’t it stupid? Also I think it’s totally unnecessary, after they suspected he was an imposter, it’s easy to figure out the imposter was the master of disguise, Zartan. Just like Storm Shadow figured out easily that Zartan was the one who killed his master after being captured.

Well the climax, the final battle is just HORRIBLE. If it was even decent the movie would certainly be better than the first one. I don’t want to talk much about the dialogue between the leaders, or shoot the nuclear missiles then abort them all to make it nuclear free. The battle between the Joes and Cobra was too imbalanced. The Joes smashed the nameless minions easily, and we found out Cobra only had Commander , Zartan and Firefly, only Firefly is a good fighter, and the Joes?

Roadblock, Bruce Wills, Jaye, Jinx, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow(defected) and Flint.

I was worried about this when I saw the cast list, and it happened. Couldn’t they let Zarana, some Dreadnoks, the twins or Scrap-Iron in the movies? So it was one sided victory overall, only Roadblock and Firefly put up a good fight. I don’t understand why did Cobra Commander gave the device to Firefly, he got a helicopter to rescue him and Firefly only had a boat.

Firefly is the only cool villain in this movie, and it’s quite sad, not sure why didn’t he use his firefly bombs in the beginning.

Overall the movie started strongly, but dropped down later, especially in the climax, I will give it 6-6.5/10.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is Cobra Commander really the Baroness's brother? Are you kidding me? Did you just make that up?

You have honestly just blown my mind.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    In the first movie it is, yeah it's horrible.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's true.

The film for me dipped when Duke went, but I did laugh at Destro being 'kicked out of the band' and the cholesterol snippet.

The mountain-Ninja battle was spectacular. Completely innovative.

Ending; the nuclear exchange was beautiful trickery, but indeed, the finale was fairly one sided though Cobra Commander walking slowly to his escape 'copter was novelty.

But London was destroyed so I cannot compliment it too strongly.

Good fun, not as good as the first one by miles.

Robimus likes this.
  20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The first one ruined Baroness.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    By being a totally crap film?

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Merged with existing thread.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I still don't get why did they handle Baroness that way in the first one. The 2nd one also has many problems but at least it didn't ruin character like this.

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I pretty much agree with Sinre completely. It is not without its moments but this film is vastly inferior to the first one.

And the first one had a lot of faults as well, but in general I liked it. I also feel like the first film had a lot more homages to the G.I.Joe franchise as a whole than this one did. Not to say this one is without the fan winking type moments(Major Bludd for instance), but overall it just seemed to not care about that type of stuff.

I still want to see Wild Weasel vs Ace like in the old comic too :p

And wouldn't it have been cool if Joe Colton's team was like Grunt, Rock'N'Roll, Zap or Flash - instead of nameless army guys 1 & 2?

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Just saw it, it was a good movie.