main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hasbro Cinematic Universe (G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visonaries & ROM) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by slimybug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It would be weird if Cobra Commander and Unicron sound the same in the cartoon.

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh] Yeah, I'd forgotten that Welles voiced Unicron (his final performance I believe). I can imagine Welles reading that script and having absolutely no idea what was going on.

Chris Latta's Cobra Commander may have been over the top, but it's certainly iconic, and I just can't imagine the cartoon working as well without it. Does that voice work for the character live-action? No. But for animation, absolutely.

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    In the cartoon Cobra Commander is kind of a joke, he's not so serious or menacing compare to Destro.

In RoC he was portrayed as a menacing and manipulative bastard, which is quite nice.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, he completed work in September of 1985 and died one month later. Though due to this, any changes that were required never materialized. This is notable in the scene where Unicron upgrades Megatron, Thundercracker, Skywarp and the Insecticons into Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge and the Sweeps. The origin was different initially and was changed, though any possible reworkings of the dialogue couldn't happen.

Wally Burr, the casting director, indicated that he didn't take direction well and didn't read the script until he came in to record his lines. According to Welles' biography.

You know what I did this morning? I played the voice of a toy. Some terrible robot toys from Japan that changed from one thing to another. The Japanese have funded a full-length animated cartoon about the doings of these toys, which is all bad outer-space stuff. I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen.

5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That doesn't surprise me. I don't claim to know a lot about Orson Welles--in fact, when I was growing up I only knew him as the old guy from the Nostradamus documentary The Man who saw Tomorrow that they used to run on Cinemax twice a day in the 80s--but I'm sure he walked into that recording booth thinking "What am I doing here? I'm Orson *beeping* Welles.".

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

So, as we may have discussed briefly over in the Transformers thread awhile back, Hasbro is planning to put together its own cinematic universe combining its non-Transformers properties (so, alas, the dreams of a TF/GIJ crossover are currently off the table).

The HCU will be including G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K. (so far, makes sense given that the lore of those two franchises were effectively merged already), Micronauts, Visonaries and ROM: The Space Knight (the latter more known for his Marvel comics presence).

[​IMG]

After apparently being very pleased with the results of the writer's room project they gathered that has formed the plans for the Transformers films moving forward (a Bumblebee solo film, an animated prequel on Cybertron, TF5+, etc), they decided to repeat the process to forge this new CU. And that writer's room line-up was announced this week and it is damn impressive.

Since this HCU will encompass the GIJ franchise, I've decided to repurpose the existing GIJ thread for the general discussion of these franchises (since we do not yet know how frequently the releases will come or if there is sufficient interest to sustain multiple threads like the Marvel ones). I'll also be reposting this info into the opening post of the thread for future reference.

So here's the rundown of writers:

-Akiva Goldsman (Oscar-winner, A Beautiful Mind, Fringe, I Am Legend, overseeing the entire HCU and will be executive producer on all films- effectively Kevin Feige's analog)
    -Michael Chabon (Pulitzer Prize-winner, Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay)
    -Brian K Vaughn (Eisner Award-winner, Y: The Last Man, Saga, showrunner for Under the Dome)
    -Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel)
    -Cheo Coker (Ray Donovan, Southland, showrunner for Luke Cage)
    -John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein (Horrible Bosses, Spider-Man: Homecoming)
    -Joe Robert Cole (The People vs OJ Simpson, Black Panther)
    -Jeff Pinkner (The Dark Tower)
    -Nicole Riegel (wrote a blacklist script titled Dogfight)
    -Geneva Robertson (Tomb Raider reboot)
    -Lindsey Beer (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Transformers 5)

Also involved are Hasbro's CEO/Chairman Brian Goldner & CCO Stephen Davis as producers with Hasbro's head of storytelling, Josh Feldman, as co-executive producer, Under the Allspark Pictures label for Hasbro.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hasbro-cinematic-universe-takes-shape-886316

The diverse selection seems to be a result of their desire to broaden the appeal of these franchises:

The properties involved in the universe, such as G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K., have traditionally skewed towards the male segment, but Hasbro wants to broaden the focus on the movies, to make them more inclusive.

"We first and foremost put together a list of writers who we wanted to be in business with and could be the worldbuilders that we needed. But we want to be sure that in the room we have diverse perspectives, diverse backgrounds, and diverse experiences […] Female empowerment is a central theme through a lot of these properties and one of the reasons we wanted diverse voices."

Their first meeting is apparently on Monday. The TF writer's room forged a roadmap for a decade's worth of films so, with multiple properties involved, I imagine we can expect similar ambitions here.

Probably the only real downside here is that, assuming they're maintaining continuity with the existing GIJ movies, the whole HCU will still have been kicked off by that super-crappy first GIJ movie, alas (thankfully one can still mostly skip it and just into the far superior (though still not great) Retaliation).

[​IMG]

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't remember any of these other than GIJOE and MASK.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Micronauts never had a series, IIRC, but were pretty popular in the late 70's (even Star Wars had a micro line inspired by it).

ROM also never had a series- and more people know him from being in the Marvel Universe than know he ever had a toy (the comic outlasted the toy by several years).

Visionaries had a series but was never hugely successful but was one of those toy lines that every kid seemed to have one of even though they probably never asked for it.

Personally I'm most interested in MASK but I can see the storytelling potential in ROM (Iron Man meets Guardians of the Galaxy meets Nova Corps meets V) and Visionaries (magic, etc).

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why didn't they merge TF and GIJOE, so we wouldn't have to endure those boring human characters/human troops anymore.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They should have but by now it's too late- they're clearly in different worlds as far as the films go (destruction of London and Paris, the battles of Chicago, China, the general presence of aliens/robots, etc).

So without a reboot of both franchises (a possibility for GIJ but, sadly, not going to happen with TF given the continued success of the films and the planned expansion from the TF writer's room roadmap, etc), it couldn't happen.

11. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    G.ijoe needs a restart.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree, if you're going to do this, I think it calls for a reboot across the board. Start fresh. Snatch Transformers away from the increasingly ham-fisted clutches of Michael Bay and just put the already soft-rebooted G.I. Joe series out of its misery.

An eventual meeting of G.I. Joe and Transformers has nice event potential, and M.A.S.K. certainly shares a potential synergy with G.I. Joe and TF. And for those too old or too young to remember, M.A.S.K. was a big deal in its own right in the mid-80s. It never managed to reincarnate itself the way the latter two and properties like TMNT have, but it has a warm place in the hearts of many Gen-Xers, and its basic premise still has the potential to appeal to kids.

I can see potential in Micronauts and maybe ROM. But Visionaries? Not sure what the thinking there is. My friend and I reviewed it on our blog a few years ago, and there's little in its history (13 episode cartoon run, about half that as a comic and I believe only one wave/series as a toy line) or premise that suggests a hit waiting to happen.

That is an impressive collection of writers though. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I suspect Visionaries was more about giving them a Thor/Strange-like angle of bringing in hi-tech fantasy and magic elements to the world.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm familiar with all the Hasbro Universe IP. Aside from Transformers and GI Joe, ROM was my favorite and I had the entire run of ROM comics, which only lasted two years or so. ROM was not specifically mentioned in Marvel's Infinity (or perhaps in the prelude to Secret Wars) event a year or so ago, but the Spaceknights were and they were wiped out. I've seen some updated artwork on ROM and dude looks pretty cool.

Visionaries was pretty badass. At the time, I felt it was Hasbro answer to Mattel's Masters of the Universe. I don't recall the show featuring any hi-tech devices. The characters' power were derived from magical staffs. Now, if Hasbro still has the rights to Coleco's Sectuars (which was their answer to Masters of the Universe), that's IP they should include in their Universe. Visionaries could be an alien race or "meta-humans/mutants." I don't imagine they'll be faithful to the source material.

Transformers and GI Joe will be an easy crossover, as it happen in the comic books.
    [​IMG]

Plus, the first two Bayformers films had the Autobots and Military unit working together.

15. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I still have a box of Micronauts...mostly bits and pieces, but my 8-year-old plays with them and loves them. Astonishingly I still have all the pieces for this guy:

[​IMG]

His name is Baron Karza or something. I have the white guy too but I've forgotten his name.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I can't remember the white version of the figure either. However, I do recall Baron Karza having a horse. I had the figure, but never did get the horse.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They had hi tech vehicles and stuff- just watch the intro.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

They both had horses and you could make centaurs out of them! I still have the white guy's horse but it only has wheels now...the legs are long gone sadly.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A Hasbro Cinematic Universe?

[​IMG]

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Yes, but they were magic-powered, after their planet's civilization underwent some kind of event that stopped all technology, and magic became the dominant force.

(Yeah, it's best not to think about it too much....)

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    How The Newly Revealed 'Transformers 5' Title Could Be Hinting At A Major Crossover

[​IMG]

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    How the hell does this thread have 400 posts? [face_plain]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Repurposed from the original G.I Joe thread.

24. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I doubt that Marvel will challenge the Dire Wraiths trademark, as they really have used them in the comic books and there was so many other alien races they could use.

However, I'm bummed that ROM isn't part of the MCU. It would have been cool if the character popped up in Guardians of the Galaxy or something.