main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Hasbro Cinematic Universe (G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visonaries & ROM) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by slimybug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    So I saw the movie recently, and here are my notes:

1.) Stephen Sommers has EXTREMELY LOW standards when it comes to CGI, but you knew that from the trailers

2.) Brendan Fraser is a Joe??? [face_laugh]

3.) The Mummy (Arnold Vosloo) works for Cobra (as Zartan)? [face_laugh]

4.) Marlon Wayans is the Skids/Mudflap (from Transformers 2) of the film

5.) WHY, OH WHY did they give Snake-Eyes lips??? His character would've TOTALLY been the best character in the film if not for that stupid feature.

6.) I'm surprised those accelerator suits (which were only seen during the Paris sequence) didn't have webshooters on 'em. Can you say: Spider-Man rip-off? :rolleyes:

7.) Speaking of rip-offs, here is what CGI Joe stole from: Transformers, Spider-Man, Firefox (the Clint Eastwood film), War of the Worlds (the Keanu Reeves update), Black Hawk Down (which would be expected) and Man in the Iron Mask (lol).

8.) Alan Silvestri has NOTHING on Steve Jablonsky

9.) Holograms = Lame

10.) There should be a crossover between Transformers and CGI Joe...just so we can see Megan Fox, Rachel Nichols and Sienna Miller straddle a motorcycle. The SAME motorcyle...at the SAME time...

That is all. Now imagine if I actually had to pay to watch this film [face_worried]

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Um...do you mean War of the World's the Tom Cruise Update or The Day the Earth Stood Still the Keanu Reeves Update??

Back to the Future. 'Nuff Said. ;)

3. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    :oops:

The Day the Earth Stood Still. My bad.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I remember hearing about this last year.

Here's the MTV interview when Fraser was asked it when he was pimpin' Journey to the Center of the Earth. He was upset that the question was asked.

VIDEO CLIP

5. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Yea, Brendan Fraser makes a cameo as a Joe training officer.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    at first I wasn't interested in this film at all, the first trailer was so bad, but now I'm starting to get interested in it, it looks like it's just escapism and something Transformers should of been.

8. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    Unless Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance of Cobra Commander draws favorable movie-carrying bad-guy comparisons to Heath Ledger's Joker (which I reeeaalllly doubt is going to happen) I can't see this being a good movie. The producers had a choice between making it look believable and making it look like a comic book. It looks like they chose the latter. This looks awfully silly, even with Dennis Quaid as General Hawk.

9. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Cobra Commander isn't EVEN worthy enough to lick Ledger's Joker's ****s.

Cobra Commander is a PERFECT example of Hollywood buttraping a classic animated character. What CC should've looked like:

[image=http://www.cobraclan-et.com/images/Fullview_COBRA_COMMANDER.png]

Instead of this crap

[image=http://www.thegeekcouch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cobra-comm2.jpg]

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    To all the people pissed about Cobra Commander...this a setup for a series of movies. Cut them some slack on the suit. For the next one I am sure we will get a better costume. The Snake Eyes costume bugged me somewhat but not enough to say it ruined the character. If they didn't change things and make it their own then why make the movie? Otherwise just read the comics. I went into seeing this as a fun summer flick not an oscar winner and I was not disappointed. Way better than Transformers and I'll probably see it again with my wife later on.

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [image=http://www.newline.com/cm_downloads/pr/jasonx_photos_1352.jpg]

[face_whistling]

12. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    CGI Joe currently at 86% on RottenTomatoes.com.

**** you, Bay. Just...**** you.

13. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    How... is this possible?

14. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Fixed.

Er...To make a decent adaptation?

When I think about all the idiotic changes and stupid things that guys like Michael Bay, Stephen Sommers, and James Wong have made to their adaptaions of beloved mythologies, how much flack they've gotten for it, and the amount of hatred people have for them all over the world, I think "Man, it must be great to be Jon Favreau." Mr. Bay, you can keep your 170 kagillion dollars. When Jon walks out on stage at Comic-Con to that kind of response...That's got to be worth all the money in the world.

Slimy!

Slimy!

15. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Rox posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If they didn't change things and make it their own then why make the movie?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Er...To make a decent adaptation?

The word adaptation automatically means what? When you adapt something you change it.
    You're not making sense.

16. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    A decent adaptation. Translating a story or mythology from one medium into another, changing what one must to best fit the new medium, but still retaining what made the original work good enough to be adapted in the first place.

When you look at what Jon Favreau, Art Marcum, Matt Holloway, Mark Fergus, and Hawk Ostby did with Iron Man, they said "Wow, this is a really great, rich mythology. We should take this, and try and adapt it as faithfully as possible to the screen, while at the same time making it the best possible movie it can be. Let's painstakingly go through the comics and choose what best aspects we want to translate, make a story that best represents the history of the work, cast an actor that truly embodies the main character, and tell the story for fans of the big screen."
    The result was something that is well loved by fans, general audiences, and critics alike.

When you look at this festering pile of dung, all I can think is this: When you literally have to change the title to accomodate the movie you're making, you know it's not a decent adaptation.

Slimy!

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I grew up when the cartoons were huge. I had all the toys, the sheets and sleeping bag the whole deal. All the crap you see in the trailers is like 10 minutes of the flipping movie. Yeah they made Ripcord a black guy and Cobra Commander looks retarded but overall it did the job for me. I really liked it so that's good enough for me.

One thing that fans have to understand here is that by making this movie they owe you nothing. No Flint, no romance with Scarlet/Snake Eyes, nothing.

18. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Well I was at a store the other day and saw a display featuring new G.I.Joe action figures based on the new movie and had a few thoughts...

For one, they kept within the spirit (not the classic tracker figure of the same name) of the characters with keeping the names given to them in the 80's.

For two, they look pretty cool and have a bit more to offer than the classics..

For three, why were they going for 8 bucks a piece?!?

I remember like 3 and 4 bucks... Have prices gotten that bad? ...or is it just inflation?

Anyhow, I look forward to the flick.

19. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    This is an important point, thanks for making it. Grateful to see it made at all

20. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    The movie's starting to grow on me in a "So bad it looks awesome" kind of feeling.

21. Akumz_Razor

Akumz_Razor Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    [image=http://www.yojoe.com/comics/covers/joe139.jpg] :cool:

22. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Oh. Okay, good to know. I mean, I won't go see it, but good to know.
    So I guess the makers of Iron Man/X-Men/Spider-Man/Lord of the Rings did owe us, then? Hope you don't mind, but I'll just stick with those guys.

There is no fanboy desire for me to see G.I. Joe on the big screen, because, you know, that's not what it is. I mean, I gave Transformers a lot of crap, but I still at least went to see the film because it was Transformers. It had Optimus Prime (voiced by Peter Cullen, doncha know?) and...Okay, so that was pretty much it, but it's like going to see X-Men 3 even if you knew it was going to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. You went to see it because, even if it was a crap movie, it was a crap X-Men movie, and you had to see it.

Not at all the case with G.I. Joe. I have no fanboy desire to see this crap because there's nothing in here, save maybe Snake Eyes looking cool, which I can see in the trailers) that makes me go "Yeah, it's a crap movie, but it's a crap G.I. Joe movie!" There's nothing in here that resembles Joe, so there's none of that fanboy desire.

The only thing even remotely holds any interest is simply a morbid curiosity to see what these blowhards think they can pass off as a Joe movie. But that can wait till DVD. Then again, that can probably even wait till the DVD's available at the library.

Slimy!

23. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    You're missing out...especially on the climax. Best. Fake-looking. Submarine battle. Ever. :cool:

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Dude seriously baiting is not cool.

25. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    One of these summers slimy is going to get a gun go postal at a theater