main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

G.I. Joe: Resolute!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Sometimes, it sucks being in Canada.

Although, there are ways around that.

2. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    There are a few tie-in action figures scattered amid the waves of regular G.I. Joes currently on the shelves, but the only Resolute figures they've released so far have been Duke, Cobra Commander and a Cobra trooper (though photos of Resolute Roadblock, Gung-Ho, Flint and Stormshadow are currently floating around the internet, and Snake Eyes and Scarlett were supposed to be released in two-figure comic packs). Resolute itself seems to be a one-shot deal, at least so far as we know at this point.

Right you are. ;)

part 9

part 10

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Hmm, turns out I wasn't entirely correct... Resolute Snake Eyes has finally turned up in action figure form.

4. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    And the finale has made it's way onto YouTube:

Part 11

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The whole show was aired in it's entirety saturday night on Adult Swim- overall, most excellent. It kept a lot of the elements that made the cartoon and comics so appealing (certain things, like the Scarlett/Duke conversation at the end) seems to only function for fans who know the backstory, for example) while bringing a more realistic level of violence to it (because, even when you're 6 years old, you knew that military guys who could never shoot someone or be shot by someone or flying vehicles that couldn't be shot down without a pilot parachuting to safety was complete crap- unless you're The A-Team).

That Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow fight was most excellent- and prior to that, it was great finally seeing a Joe ninja killing people.

I also liked that Destro's accent was clearly made scottish (something that always confused me since the original cartoon almost sounds east european, but still plausibly scottish).

And attacking the FLAGG (and eventually destroying it) really upped the ante and made you realize how they were taking this.

In fact, you know what this feels like? It feels like the 1980's GI Joe Movie we never got. The same way the Transformers animated movie took the violence of the series to a realistic level by wiping out almost all the original characters, but most significantly, by killing Optimus Prime, who was like a father figure to that generation of viewers, really threw the gauntlet down. GI Joe Resolute has that same "we mean buisness now" mentality, giving us the final showdowns between longstanding rivals, the destruction of key locations and technology and the quick death of major characters, in a way the GI Joe animated movie never did (not to mention no Cobra-La crap). The only thing it's missing is the theme song and maybe an 80's rock song or two and it'd be perfect.

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    That was a great show. Really well done. Hopefully we can get more like that.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So far it's only a one-off, but yeah, hopefully we'll get more. They apparently started working on this a few years ago before the new movie got the go-ahead (though the GI Joe movie has been in development for most of the decade, even before Transformers). It was meant top be a potential relaunch for the franchise back when they didn't know if a movie would be out anytime soon.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I hope we get more too. That was really awesome.

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    What I'm impressed by is this strikes me as being created for those fans from the 80s...the one's who remember the names and the units and the vehicles (gotta say, stuff like the use of Storm Eagles...took me right back in time)

They matured the franchise to keep with the fans...GEORGE LUCAS, PAY ATTENTION!

To an extent, they've brought to the equivalence of hard hitting anime franchises which I would suspect many fans of the old Joe have embraced.

The other nice thing about what they did with the destruction of the Flagg, etc...they've opened the door to modernize Joe, without "forgetting" the roots, as other Joe projects have in the past.

What I would hope to see from them would be a nice long story progressed over half hour segments...not the episodic style of the old franchise, but a well interwoven piece similar to many anime franchises, with the occasional "escape" episode to lighten the drama or present a different idea.

In any event...I give them praise for this...I was rather impressed overall...they did their homework, and it showed.

I'll watch more if offered.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Funny. I was sort of thinking that a good idea would be to do GI Joe as a weekly one hour animated action-drama.

11. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    hour long is too expensive for a weekly show...plus, animated material tends to drift if it's got too much time.

22 weeks at 22 minutes = nearly 9 hours of programing a season...that's a fantastic plot if planned right.

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I disagree with this to the point where I wonder if you are from a different species. Because we all know George is all about isolating several generations of potential audiences so that a couple of hundred thousand 30-yr-old "core fans" can pretend they are adults.

Are you seriously this selfish that you want the Star Wars franchise to pander to your "maturity" and become something it has never been, so that kids are no longer even allowed entry?

The battle has already been lost if we ask for, or expect "serious, adult" Star Wars.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In all fairness, Lucas DID utilize the notion of maturing the franchise with the viewership- he just hit the reset button between trilogies and aimed TPM at younger audiences to hook them, and made the subsequent two films increasingly darker and mature. Whether he should have pushed for maintaining the original starting point instead of inserting a new one in the middle is debatable, though.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I enjoyed it.
    Needed a little move blood on the knives... and in the bullet holes... didn't care for Destro's living skin mask... but otherwise an acceptable entry.

As for the origins of the characters... remember the in the 80s they were mostly Vietnam Vets, so that doesn't quite work anymore. On the other hand, Snake-Eyes was originally injured when the helicopter he was in crashed because it didn't have the right intake filters to keep sand out, which is still timely.

Ah well.

15. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    G.I. Joe Resolute was excellent! I am highly impressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.