main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

G.I Joe....the real movie picture

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by whisperjedi, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Maybe not, but while more people might remember the cartoon, the movie appears to be raiding the comics for inspiration.

Furthermore, as far as the cartoon goes, the most that Baroness's customary garb has in common with the movie version is that both outfits are primarily black.

2. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    "Is it true to the spirit of the source material, and to the characters?": Those are the questions I want answered"

Ok...No. There ya go. :p

D_M_S_L

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Some new photos from the set have made their way onto the internet, most interestingly some of Duke in the powered armour "accelerator suit" that was mentioned a while back:

[image=http://buzznet-00.vo.llnwd.net/media/jj1/2008/05/channing-gijoe/channing-tatum-filming-gi-joe-02.jpg]

4. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Looks interesting but is it just me or does it look a little clunky.

5. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    And in other news, Snake Eyes attacks a Humvee-looking thing, and Scarlett eats a sandwich.

[image=http://buzznet-00.vo.llnwd.net/media/jj1/2008/05/park-snake/ray-park-snake-eyes-02.jpg]

[image=http://buzznet-00.vo.llnwd.net/media/jj1/2008/05/park-snake/ray-park-snake-eyes-08.jpg]

6. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000

The daring! The sheer drama! This, my friends, is a true American Warrior Woman!!!

J/K....

I will say, though, I'm not sure why the worlds biggest arms dealer is cruising around in an H2, a 10-year old vehicle... (provided the rumored setting of 2019 is correct). Maybe they'll digitize it into a an H12... ;)

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Looks like is says H21 to me. :p

8. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Couple new photos of Sienna Miller in costume, which leave me wondering if the Wachowskis will consider legal action...

[image=http://www.iesb.net/images/stories/setimages/sienna_gijoe.jpg]

[image=http://www.iesb.net/images/stories/setimages/sienna_gijoe2.jpg]

9. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Looks like Baroness to me! Yowza!

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Interesting photos, and like you said I notice some similarities... :p

11. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I always imagined my Baroness action figure from 1981 to be decked out in black leather -- nevermind the illustration on the card which makes it look like metal. On the fig itself, the suit is too tight-fitting to be steel or some other kind of metallic armor. Hence, black leather. I think that pic looks exactly how Baroness should look.

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    More like a slightly prettier Trinity with glasses. [face_talk_hand]

That the armour is tight-fitting is hardly a point against its being metal, particularly in a universe like G.I. Joe's, where in the mid-80s Cobra Commander was gadding about in powered armour capable of stopping sustained fire from heavy machine guns, and as far as figures and sculpting go, if you want to claim Baroness's armour fits too tightly, might I remind you that more than a few G.I. Joes appear to be hydrocephalic to some degree or other? o_O

13. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Duke's outfit sucks. But The Baroness' looks good.

14. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Q_M, you can hate on Baroness' awesome outfit all you like. I'm going to go ahead and love it as the spectacle of hotness that it is. [face_not_talking] [face_love] :p

15. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    If "hotness" was the only qualification of note in costume design, she'd be wearing a bikini. o_O

16. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    And yet she's wearing a black, tight-fitting outfit just the way her action figure did. Hmmmm.

17. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    And yet she has no visible armour to speak of, unlike Duke, Scarlett, Heavy Duty, Breaker and Ripcord, none of whom were notable for wearing armour in their original incarnations but have now had it bestowed upon them.

18. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Unless you consider leather armor to be, you know, armor.

And those armored suits the other guys have are only one suit design for a particular sequence, not the characters' only or even their main outfit, as the producer told us a few weeks ago.

Look, this movie might suck, okay? Stephen Sommers is hardly my favorite filmmaker. Van Helsing is an insulting barrage of stupidity and lame action scenes shot exclusively in Confuse-O-Vision. But the Mummy movies are pretty good, and given the right material -- ie, this GI Joe screenplay -- he might acquit himself. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this film will outright suck. But if you want to diss the movie for the next year and a half before it even comes out, be my guest.

19. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Unless you consider that to have any bearing on the issue when it revolves around one character's traditional and distinctly not leather armour being nowhere to be found whilst numerous other characters not previously noted for their use of body armour, let alone the hard variety, have suddenly manifested it.

No, those are the characters' main outfits. The "one suit design for a particular sequence" can be seen here.

Fixed.

Indeed, he has the almost unique distinction of being a director whose films steadily worsen as time goes on.

There's little reason at this point to suppose that the screenplay is going to be "the right material".

Thank you, I will.

20. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I would think a leather bikini would be hot, painful, and chafing. :p

21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, and that was only what? 15 years before the Matrix? The ripping off of the Trinity costume is a dumb argument.

On top of that, you need to understand that while they may have some sort of tribute of sorts to the outfits from the original series, what would you have expected in a filmed version? Scarlett walking around in a leotard for the whole film? Duke looking like he was about to shoot a Gap commercial? Even Destro, who I've yet to see a picture of him wearing one, wearing a ceremonial silver mask the whole time?

They're basically a black ops force, even if their missions aren't necessarily as sinister. Running into combat with a leotard or khakis in real life just isn't realistic. Be happy at least for the Snake-Eyes costume.

I'm way more excited for this film than I was for Transformers, that's for damn sure. :)

And btw, Vortigern99, this wasn't aimed at you. I was just trying to add to your comment,

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Hardly. More people are going to recall The Matrix than the G.I. Joe cartoon or comic books or action figures, hence their immediate point-of-reference for gun-wielding females in shiny black leather will be Trinity, hence the Baroness's costume, lacking as it is its distinctive armour plating, is going to be seen as drawing inspiration from/ripping off Trinity's costumes.

You really don't get it, do you? All those changes make sense in the context of trying to adapt the looks of the characters in a semi-credible manner, and so we have Destro in a business suit, Duke/Scarlett/Heavy Duty/Ripcord/Breaker in armoured jumpsuits, but the reverse has occurred in Baroness's case, with her semi-plausible-in-futuristic-way segmented body armour being replaced by fetishwear.

For a black operations unit, non-descript civilian khakis make much more sense than distinctive military garb, they're worn into (potential) combat by PMCs as a matter of course, and Snake Eyes is already wearing a leotard of sorts, not that that has any bearing on the Baroness.

What, the one with the sculpted mouth, the bright red Arishikage sigil on the shoulder and the katana?

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Makes more sense to me than the 2nd figure of him with the european knight-style bevore eyeshield on a ninja.

Oh well.

24. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    It does? :p

[image=http://accesshollywood.nbcunifiles.com/ah/images/content/200803/0x600/66294.jpg]

25. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    The Baroness looks fine to me, so what if it slightly resembles costumes used in the Matrix. I think people will cope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.