main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY GALACTIC ALLIANCE BOOK CLUB

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthZannah, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maskaggs

maskaggs Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, as nice as everyone was when I mentioned I wanted to come to the book club discussion tonight, I'm sorry to say I can't make it. We spent last weekend moving My Lovely Lady down to Louisville and the ensuing week has been waaayyy too busy to finish reading No Prisoners (and by that I mean I'm on about page 75). I hate to miss, but wouldn't have much to contribute! It's only natural, though, that I have to miss the discussion right before I have a weekend calm enough to probably finish the book :rolleyes:

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry to hear that but if it's not too late come on out anyway. Having read the book is not a requirement to take part in the discussion. A lot of times we talk about themes. For instance I can see this meeting having a general discussion about attachment and different schools of Jedi thought. Besides, our esteemed co-leader isn't getting there until late so I'm sure we'll be talking lots of other Star Wars stuff until then.
    But if not look for us to get together for something next month. I'm sure we'll do something but it hasn't been discussed yet as a lot of us have CV on our minds almost to the exclusion of everything else.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Exactly Boss!
    While I will read the book, doing so is not a pre-req. It would just be great to have you near; maybe you didn't read one particular book-- but I bet you have some opinions on Star Wars in general.

For me, hearing Appo, Zannah, Mika, and 11-11 opine is worth the trip.

Also: new rule. An esteemed co-leader may be late if the reason for said lateness involves a girl. (albeit a girl with poor taste)

-Jammies

4. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002

LOL....I thought that was an unwritten rule! [face_laugh]

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    THAT is why he's my Nerfhearder. =D=

6. Cungr_Vanck

Cungr_Vanck Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2008
    Sorry I missed it guys and gals....something came up and this time it is a good thing ;)

Another post will explain.

7. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    CUngr, what do you need for me to do for you at CV?

8. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002

That is awesome!!!

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    FYI:

October's book is Shadows of the Empire:

Will Luke and company save Han Solo from Boba Fett before he can deliver his cargo to Jabba the Hutt?
    Will Leia survive her encounter with the criminal underworld?
    Will Vader continue to be the second most powerful villain in the Galaxy Far Far Away?

To find out, READ THE BOOK..... (or watch the first 4 minutes of Return of the Jedi).

Jammies

10. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    FYI

our book for December will be
    Ramona and the Sith

Has Ramona Quimby's imagination out did itself? Are Sith really coming to take her away to teach her? or is she just making it up to cover her jealousy of her older sister? Read and find out

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    After that, we will be reading "Are You There God, It's me Jania?" We will read about becoming a woman in the New Jedi Order.

12. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    Envision if you will, a Stormie with his head cocked to the left, and from his visor you hear,"Huh"? [face_thinking]

13. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Later in 2011, we will also be reading "Yes Virgina, there is a Vader"

As well as other titles such as

"To Kill a Mocking Mynock"

"Fear and Loathing in Corilia"

and the childrens' classic

One Sith, Two Sith, Red Sith, Blue Sith

14. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    LMAO!!!!!

Now this is just too funny! [face_laugh]

15. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    For December 2011, we will be reading The Sith That Stole Christmas.

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    One week warning!

17. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    one week until we review the classic The little ewok who could

18. Jedimommy

Jedimommy Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Hmmm the day of the one week warning was the day I started reading. It is a good thing I read quickly.

19. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    Don't forget everyone, that is isn't a "requirement" that you have to have read any book we are on, to come out and play with us. This time, Bane and I had not gotten done with it ourselves. We missed it by this / / much. [face_beatup] But we still came to the meeting, and had a great time with our friends. The important thing is that we get together and get our fix's. LOL!! [face_batting]

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Amazon link for December's book/graphic novel "Dark Empire" (soft cover)
    http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Empire-I-Star-Wars/dp/159307039X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286834651&sr=1-2

and for Dar a link to Red Harvest so he can pre-order (Release date Dec 28)
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Harvest-Joe-Schreiber/dp/0345511174/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3OC0YCNV2X8F1&colid=2Z91Z3MRON70H

21. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I still can't make a poll, on this or any other PC or browser. Ugg.

The Dark Empire hardback is pretty cool if you got the 20 bucks.

Knight Errant comes out in Jan, but that would only give us a week to read it. Or, that could be April's book.

Before I give Mika a list of books for a poll, what say ye LGA? What books do you want to see us read for 2011? (And no more "little banthas" or "tales of a force grade nothing" of the "hungry hungry wookie.")

We are doing a comic in Dec., what about other media you would like us to discuss?

Jammies

22. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    umm, not really too much other written media, unless you guys want to read tech books, making of books, art books, or the tons of supplement books that came out for the role-playing game. just throwing my 2 cents in.

oh, and what's wrong with all the books we've been coming up with? beside the fact that we're beating a dead joke?

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Oh, just that Vox. We need to let it die down a bit, so we can get a book list for 2011, and then go back to the book jokes. I actually thought hungry hungry wookie was pretty funny.

So, you are right too. Comics and books-- that the only media I guess. I like bringing up the tech books in context of a novel-- but us settng around talking about the Imperial Sourcebook may be dull for some people (not me, but hey).

They have some cool books coming out for 2011. The Dark Trooper prequal sounds cool. Knight Errant sounds exciting.

Anyone have any older books they would like to read or re-read? Han Solo at Stars End-- that's an oldie but a goody.
    And how should we handle the NJO and big sagas like those? The stand alone Millinuim Faclon would be a good one to dip into that era without too much baggage. Or, we could read Vector Prime just by itself to sort of talk about the NJO-- but I would hate to spoil it for anyone.

What about other eras? Plenty of cool stuff in the clone wars (read it while it is still cannon! *tease*). Shatterpoint and Labrytnth of Evil come to mind.

We could pick a radio drama? Maybe?

Or another graphic novel? Jedi v. Sith, or Crimson Empire?
    Your Thoughts?

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I'd say put Red Harvest in the poll. I think most of the group will be reading it when it comes out anyway.

I just recently re-read the Original Han Solo trilogy and it holds up very well and is a quick read. Dare we tackle the original expanded universe book "Splinter of a Mind's Eye"?

I like tech books too but don't see a lot of discussion opportunities with them.

Graphic novels are good every once in a while. Hard to find really good or pivotal ones though. Maybe the first "Legacy" trade...some interesting things to discuss there.

25. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    considering how many books are out there, it would be hard to go wrong. there's so much stuff. we could read the first ever trilogy, about what happens after return, the heir to the empire I think? the han stuff, bounty hunter trilogy, tales of the cantania, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.