main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galactic Battlegrounds and the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NeoStar9, Mar 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I haven't actually played GB, though I am going to be picking it up after having a chance to play a bit of it. Also I'll be picking up the Clone Campaigns expansion. Now my question is are the events in the game canon?

They are side stories mostly that take place between or along side events from the movies, comics, etc. For those that have played the game and read the EU have events from the game ever been refered or talked about in the current EU? I think those currently following the Clone Wars EU and other prequel EU might have a better chance of answering these. Then there are the Rebel and Empire missions. Have these been refered to yet?

2. Darth_Deen

Darth_Deen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2002
    The missions of clone campaigns do fit in the timeline because no other events took place then but I haven't read enough clone wars to know for sure if they have been referenced.

3. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Don't know if this counts, but the Vaapad critters from Sarapin in GB are what the Vaapad lighsabre fighting is named after. The Vaapads are mentioed in Shatterpoint. THe style is metnioned in SHatterpoint as well, and also in the Jedi: Mace Windu comic.

nit really an event

Fact Files mentions GeneralTann, methinks.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'd love to acquire Galactic Battlegrounds Saga pack, especially now when it's so cheap. But I've heard it's just too inferior to even older games of its type. I'll have to try Warcraft 3 Battlechest instead!

5. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Excellence - If you're really not certain if you want to buy GBG or not, why not try the demo?

And in my opinion, the game plus add-on combi is a pretty good buy. The game itself is pretty good, can be rather addictive, and to control some of the main characters is fun. I especially liked the gigantic Clone Wars campaign. I m'self am not really into RTS games(I prefer RPGs and adventure games), but the Star Wars element does make up for it.

6. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm not much of a video game person. The only game that I've played much in the past is Sim City. :p

And I haven't played this one too much, but I do like it. :D In some of the game play, you are building up a civilization--kind like Sim City: Star Wars edition. And then you go and attack your neighbor. [face_laugh]

It's also nice in that you can directly play with another person if you have their IP address. That is fun as well.

I'm looking forward to having more time to play. ;)

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Not only are the campaigns and the game's plotline are considered "canonical," but the same applies to characters, insofar as the general "relative reality" of the games go.

For more information on how it interconnects with the other Clone Wars stories, take a gander at this thread.

8. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Cilghal: Force Commander had Sarapin before GB did.

9. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Excellence, GBG uses the Age of Empires II engine, so is very similar to that game.

With the expansion pack, you get eight civs (Wookies, Gungans, Naboo, Empire, Rebels, Republic, Confederacy, Trade Federation). Unlike AOE2 all the civs have unique looks for their units and buildings.

Graphics are what hold it back, and it is 2d, like AOE, AOE2, Warcraft I & II and Starcraft. (Newer RTS are 3d).

It has a lot of different units and technologies: more so than most new RTS.

Its quite enjoyable actually, especially for the star wars fan.

EDIT: You can see where its missions fall in also on the official Clone Wars site.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    2d rts > 3d rts ::)

11. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Most of it fits but what about some of the Imperial missions involving Veers and the AT-AT walkers. They conflict with Veers' backstory and the creation of the AT-AT.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    NEGTC refrenced and cleared up the Veers missions, IIRC.

Als, the databank within the game, and taking Pax Emperica story in the GBG strategy guide into account, it clarifies that Veers didn't newly invent the At-AT from scratch but rather invented new upgrades for the At-At such as improved weapons, and what not. The databank also ties in the rest of Veers back history as well, IIRC.

It should be noted that there are some levels which include the in-universe characters discussing what-if scenarious if they or others had made other choices, because they wonder if it was possible for another outcome to have been made.

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Some of them were outright computer simulations (the irony is SO subtle)

I wonder why Royal Naboo didn't have their own campaign (it would have been redundant?) or they did, and there's something wrong with my copy?

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya technically all the missions were computer simulations of battles both real, and what-if created by various in-universe characters.

"I wonder why Royal Naboo didn't have their own campaign (it would have been redundant?) or they did, and there's something wrong with my copy?"

According to the producers the Naboo didn't get a campaign because they had overly ornate stone structures that would be unrealistic to build as quickly as they are built in multi-player, compared to the prefab shelters of all the other organizations, or the quick growing structures of the Gungans.

Something about fine marble stone structures taking months to years, to build in real life.

Where as gungan buildings are genetically made to grow quickly, and the prefab buildings are designed to be put up quickly.

15. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I wonder why Royal Naboo didn't have their own campaign (it would have been redundant?) or they did, and there's something wrong with my copy?

Additionally, the game designers said that the lack of a Naboo campaign is the reason that you suddenly play with Naboo units halfway through the Gungan campaign.

16. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm upping games related threads to prove a point to dp4m.

17. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Well this is Star Wars we're talking about. It shouldn't be too hard for even a backwater civilization like Naboo to build those ornate marble structures on short notice, given the technology level (unless they have something against construction droids)

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Even with contstruction droids, marble stone structures take a very long time to build, due to the fact that its a piece by piece construction with marble blocks and morter, which have to be built in a precise way to hold up the weight of the structure.

Where as most structures in star wars are pre-fabricated with walls designed as single pieces that just need to be lifted into position.

While its conceivable that one could design a pre-fab marble structure, there are two issues that make it unlikely. One is that a solid wall of marble may not have the naboo's aesthetics for marble block architecture, and its a fairly fragile stone with natural cracks in it, while pleasing to the eye, are actually places for weakenesses in the stone. So lifting up an entire wall of solid Marble may crack and collapse under its own weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.