main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galactic battlegrounds or Force Commander?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Wolverine, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Right click on My Computar, go to properties, go to hardware, go to device manager. In there, go to display adapters. Open up your card properties. Look around in there for something that says AGP. It may say something about it under "Location."

Also look under System Devices in the Device Manager and look for stuff that says AGP.

2. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    The problem is, her dad feels uneasy about her removing the case.

Then you're gonna have a really hard time installing it either way if you can't even open it up. :p

3. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    Right click on my computer, then properties, then hardware, device manager. That is for Win Xp. I'm sure Win 98 is about the same. Good luck ^_^.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  5. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    DUM...

And if the dad says she can't *open* the case, why not just cut a hole in it? [face_mischief]

6. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Hmmm. Good Idea. I never thought about that. ;)

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    She's using Win95. You'll have a "Device Manager" button in lieu of the "Hardware" tab.

You should have something under "System Devices" called "SIS Processor to AGP Controller" or something similar.

The best way though is to convince your father of the obvious fact that removing the case cannot possibly damage the computer. Also, if your dad's friend won't do the RAM, I can do that too for you. Installing RAM is about the easiest thing you can do with a computer. The only way you could possibly screw it up is if you were so stupid that you had it upside down, and you tried to force it until you cracked your motherboard.

8. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    //mouth drops open

I do NOT have Win95!!!!

:mad:

It's Win98 :p

And guess what? In System Devices I have soemthing called VIA Tech 8501 CPU to AGP Controller

Er...is that good?

Also, as I already stated, it's not that Dad neccessarily woudln't let me, but working on a computer is a sigficantly larger risk than a Gigapet (ask AT60 about that one :p) and therefore, I'd rather not be the one to hafta pay if things go wrong.

My dad will let you install it most likely, Chris. That's the real reason we're letting you come see me, btw. To work on our comp ;) :p

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    And guess what? In System Devices I have soemthing called VIA Tech 8501 CPU to AGP Controller

Perfect. It's different than "SIS Processor to AGP Controller" because you have a VIA Tech 8501 processor and I have a SIS processor. Your slot is most likely vacant, and if it is in use, it'll be the Trident Blade 3D, which you would be removing anyway.

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    A thousand humble apologies for the double post.

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I've got an idea....

Get a new computer rather then trying to update a 2 and a half year old computer from like Wal-Mart.

Even a cheap $800 computer would kick the crap out of the one you have now.

12. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Notice how he *doesn't* apologize for making that claim that I have a win95! :p ;)

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Please take this to the new official Hardware tech help thread, as I asked earlier.

14. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    :p :p

Multiplayer: Galactic Battlegrounds. It has infinite replayabilty, because, UNLIKE AoE I/II or most other RTSs, every multiplayer random map is COMPLETELY random. No build orders, you ad lib the whole thing. Pure skill, pure fun. Except, Microsoft, seeing that GBG is a competitor to AoE, made sure that GBG got absolutely NO online community support through the zone. They blame LEC that the software doesn't support the zone's advanced features, which is utter BULL because it's the same engine as AoE. LEC will NOT use the zone for its next RTS.

Single Player: Eh, Force Commander. The Single Player is pretty cool because of the 3D engine. It allows you do Star Wars realistic things that would never be allowed in multiplayer. The missions are pretty neat. I couldn't even get the multiplayer to work very well on a LAN, and it wasn't much fun anyways. Very One-sided. First one with the bunkers wins.

15. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Oh...didn't see where you said that. Sorry.

I'll go there now.

16. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I used to really like Galactic Battlegrounds, but I purchased FoCom at WalMart for 10 bucks I enjoy it very much. The camera isn't crap, it just takes practice. Plus you don't need to wait a half hour for workers to gather up carbon so you can build an AT-AT.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > The camera isn't crap, it just takes practice. Plus you don't need to wait a half hour for workers to gather up carbon so you can build an AT-AT.

Exactly! :D

FoCom for single player Star Wars RTS.

GBG for online Multiplyer Star Wars RTS.

18. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    JP: "If there's one thing that frustrates me with strategy games it's chopping trees and killing animals to create armies & vehicles."

Sithy: What are you, some sort of animal rights environmentalist? I certainly have no problem with it.

No Sithy - it's hardly realistic to send a force of troops to a planet that is occupied by Rebels and then make them cut trees down and mine for metal's to be able to build and army. In JK you don't have to cut trees down to make your blaster before you can kill Stoomtroopers. ForceCommander is way more realistic. And for the price these days is an excellent buy. The camera is sweet - ignore what other, impatient people say about it!

19. jedijason8080

jedijason8080 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    GBG HAS A CHEAT BOOK SO IF YOU JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN YOU CAN USE THE CHEAT CODE. HIT ENTER THEN TYPE FORCEFOOD AND IT GIVES YOU 1000 UNITS OF FOOD SAME THING FOR NOVA AND CARBON.

20. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    GIDDY SPASM!!11!

MAW GAWD TEH POWA!!1!!11! :eek:

21. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    And by the way, I'm playing a lot of FoCom lately, and I just found the cheat to spawn units without losing command points, and I'm having a lot of fun taking out Tuskens with 25 AT-ATs.

Force Commander. Underrated.

22. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Realism != Gameplay

I'm sorry, but whether or not it's real comes AFTER gameplay concerns. Resource collection may not be realistic at all, but it gives a LOT more diverse strategies.

If all you want to do is make 30 AT-ATs and go blow up stuff in 5 minutes.. oh hey, that's not very realistic either ;)

23. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    So what you are saying is Star Wars is realistic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.