main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Galactic Empire hierarchy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rax, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I was thinking the exact same. We need Pablo.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  3. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Does he actually answer ofen though? Or is it very rarely?

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    He does answer quite often.

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    You wrote Grand Admiral twice instead of Grand General vs. Grand Admiral -- might want to delete and retweet or follow up with a clarification before Pablo hits you with a snarky non-answer over the wording :p Edit: And it's updated -- thank you for sending him the question.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And also that the Emperor doesn't really care about the minutiae of ruling, so he has his Ruling Council run things for him.

Don't confuse rank and position. The Emperor could put a puppy in charge of the military, if he wanted to. He's the Emperor.

Daneira and jSarek like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I maintain Palpatine MUST appoint Jar Jar Supreme Chancellor of the Imperial Senate at some point.

Either that or a Tauntaun.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I do want Binks as an Imperial Advisor, yes. He's an Imperial founding father. There should be statues of him in the Palace.

9. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

I've been throwing around the idea of writing a fanfic about the Gungan Resistance in the early days of the Empire, a sort of Apocalypse Now following a Clone Commando unit sent to hunt down a rogue Inquisitor that's retreated to the swamps of Naboo, co-opting the more extreme parts of resistance movement. I love the idea of Jar Jar being the Imperial stooge, trying to reassure the Gungan population that everything will be fine under the Empire. Of course, this leads to most Gungans viewing Jar Jar as a traitor.

10. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    In Life Dept Rae Sloane and many other imperial officers wonder why Kenner Loring was made Grand General instead of Hodnar Borrum.
    So no he is not self appointed.

Edit: Sheev likely just made Tagge supreme commander to mock Vader.

11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I am not confusing rank and position (I might've expressed confusion, but I'm aware of the differences). I am just assuming Grand General is a military rank (not position, considering Tagge already held the Chief of the Imperial Army), aswell because Grand Admiral is similar. Of course he made Tagge the supreme commander to mock Vader, but looking aside from that, there is a certain structure of the empire either way. So the "Tagge was made supreme commander to mock Vader" statement becomes almost irrelevant. Because there is still a Grand General rank, which we aren't certain what means. Maybe Palpatine gave Tagge the power to such command even though his ranks do not correspond to such, etc.

Good old speculation graph:

_____________________________________________________________________________
    Why was Tagge the leader of the military as the databank states?

1) The rank of Grand General grants him such power
    2) The position of Chief of the Imperial Army+Grand General grants him that
    3) Palpatine bestowed the power upon him while his position and ranks does not relate to such power.

-> How would the so called "Leader of Military" relate to Grand Admirals?

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    But Tagge has graphs AND the command.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Rax Yes, so Tagge's rank is grand general. His rank has nothing to do with his role as Supreme Commander (our term, not the comic's). Being grand general was just a feather in his cap -- a rank of sufficient dignity to fit his new position.

And yes, to annoy Vader.

14. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Wait, so you believe option 3 of my graph?

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Could very well be his position is like the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Highest ranking military officer. Not necessarily by actual rank but by billet. And the Chairman is whoever is appointed....Army, Navy, Air Force...or as it is currently a Marine. That means all military command goes up to him.

16. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Do we have any semblance of the positions Tarkin, Thrawn, and Vader hold relative to one another during this time? I know Vader has no formal rank until after-ANH, but he does seem subordinate to Tarkin.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think Vader actually HAD to stop choking Motti. I think Vader was only "subordinate" to Tarkin in Leia's mind and simply respected Tarkin as well as his requests. They seem to address each other as equals and the only reason Vader lets Motti go is because Tarkin is asking him to make more of a show than he's already done so.

Rogue One adds some more ambiguity to their positions as well.

My view is Vader's official position is that he's the Emperor's Emissary (or "Hand") who works as the Mouth of Sauron. He has his own Star Destroyer and a lot of discretionary power but no official power yet speaks for the Emperor.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder how Palpatine first introduced Vader, after ROTS.

Did he just invite Vader to an important meeting, with Vader just standing there over everyone, breathing heavy, never introduced and no one brave enough to ask?

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I always liked the version given in Wedge's Gamble.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What's that?

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Vader is the sole Jedi who didn't participate in a coup against Palpatine but was horribly injured in the process.

Which is true, from a certain point of view.

DarthJaceus, Daneira and PCCViking like this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Hmmm, if Krennic is the Grand Admiral equivalent (albeit without the title) head of Imperial DARPA does that mean Zaarin is his likely successor?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No. His rank badge shows the equivalency of admiral. The VG also says that weapons research falls under Imperial Intelligence, so Krennic probably answers to the Director of Imperial Intelligence.

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It also calls the ISB a "sister agency" though it's not 100% clear if its a sister agency to Weapons Research (so, both within Imperial Intelligence) or a sister agency to Imperial Intelligence itself.

Given that Yularen is still an ISB colonel in the newcanon (being Kallus's immediate superior), and also is Deputy Director of the Naval Intelligence Agency which falls within Imperial Intelligence, that suggests the two are much more close to one another than in Legends - maybe the ISB is a subdivision of Imperial Intelligence now, just like Weapons Research is.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I think they meant the ISB is the sister agency of the Intelligence, not the AWR.