main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Galactic Empire hierarchy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rax, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    You'd probably need freeze-frame and the blu-ray for his insignia to really stand out.

[​IMG]

2. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Rg. Moffs and Grand Moffs, since the Empire was organized/"put in lockstep" from the top down the most plausible explenation is this: Palpatine still Supreme Chancellor, but already with the powers that make him Emperor in all but name appoints 20 Moffs (people he knows who are on is side, in Legends people from Ranulph Tarkin's "Militarist Faction", in NuCanon possibly Wilhuff Tarkin's drinking-buddies) to govern and administrate the 20 Oversectors and their Clone-Armies. During the time between ROTS and ANH the smaller Sectors within those Oversectors get their own Moffs while the Oversector-Moffs are elevated to Grand Moffs to adress the seniority-problem. It is certainly much easier to find 20 dudes willing to do your bidding in a short amount of time, than thousands. That you do, when you have the time for it (the 19 years between ROTS and ANH).

Rg. military ranks of Moffs - according to the ImperialSourceBook, the military rank of a Moff (actual or honorary) was either High Admiral (if Fleet) or Surface Marshall (if Army).

Ranks with a ""Grand" in it, didn't come into play at the sector-level.

Rg. Ysanne Isard: Ysanne Isard was in charge of Imperial Intelligence, which in Legends was one of four branches of the Imperial Armed Forces (the other being Navy, Army and Stormtroopercorps, the star fighters were part of the Navy), so her wearing a quasi Grand Admiral's uniform should be alright.

JABoomer likes this.
  3. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Here's an interesting question. Were Tarkin alive when the Emperor and Vader were destroyed, would he have been able to hold the Empire together?

I would say his only chance would be with a operational Death Star, otherwise I don't think an ordinary man no matter how ruthless could combat the conniving aspirations of his subordinates within the Empire.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    In Legends, Grand Moff Kaine is able to keep the Pentastar Alignment together and I think Tarkin was magnitudes more competent. I'm inclined to think he would have been able to do as good as Thrawn and get a good half of the Empire under his control.

Albeit, Rogue One shows Tarkin is insane in a Himmler-esque way rather than an ubermensch.

JABoomer likes this.
  5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    However...the PA was a fraction of the Outer Rim. If Tarkin had survived I could have seen him having a stronger Imperial Remnant but not hold together the whole thing.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Much as I hate Tarkin, I think his power, influence, and charisma were such to probably minimize breakaways and keep a good chunk of the Empire under him.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    From my understanding, this is outright confirmed by Catalyst and the Visual Guide for Rogue One. Krennic held military authority equal to an Admiral, with the title/position of "Director of Advanced Weapons Research."

A good chunk, certainly, but I suspect there would have been a LOT of other Moffs and high-ranking military officers all too happy to try to arrange "accidents" for Tarkin, given how many he probably stepped on on his way up.

That, and much of his power and influence came from the fact that people knew he was heavily favored by the Emperor and thus feared Palpatine's wrath if they stood up to or threatened Tarkin. Without that favor, people are likely far more willing to challenge him. Without a Death Star-like ace up his sleeve, I don't know that he would have done too much better than any of the other Warlords. Somewhat, sure, but keeping the whole Empire together? I doubt it.

JABoomer likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think he would've had most success in the Rim, and with segments of the military who favor his approach. He'd have less luck in the Core. I can't imagine Amedda would want to call him his boss.

But Amedda is spineless without Palpatine, too.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

JABoomer likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder who was perceived as the power behind Palpatine's throne. We know that the ANH novelization prologue is how the public percieves things.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not any more. Rebels seem to be content to blame Palpatine for the ills of the Empire.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There's also the fact Tarkin is a psychopath in the Hiram Burrows sense (any Dishonored fans?). He doesn't seem to understand destroying Alderaan is something people would object to and possesses no real ability to empathize with ordinary people. I foresee him as the type of person who would blow up Coruscant if he felt it would give him more power and he'd keep slaughtering the galaxy to whip it into shape--wondering why no one liked him.

Rogue One spoiler

VADER has to reign him in by coming up with a Jedha cover story.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    If they bring back Scorpius to portray an early Tarkin, I'll be a bit more lenient towards Nu-Canon only for that...

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Any Dishonored fans, he asks to the guy wearing Emily Kaldwin's signet ring. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016

Wayne Pygram is older than Guy Henry.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    She's the one royal I approve of aside from Leia.

16. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    A thing that I also am unsure of; what starfighter pilots wear the red and yellow markings?

The only theory I have is about the yellow markings, which is intended as TIE instructor, and the red markings are squadron leaders.

17. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Tarkin is a special case though. Considering is more or less Vader's equal.

18. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Here you go. It's a bit easier to see if you grab it before he really starts moving.
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Much better. So now:

we have a movie example of 2x5 insignia Tarkin to show Pablo, and ask what it represents if not "Moff insignia".

20. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Oh, I didn't realize that was what we were doing. Is there really a satisfying answer he could give you? Imperial rank insignia are different in almost every source.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Here:

we get the idea that "Grand Moff insignia" doesn't exist and Tarkin & Pryce are wearing "priority sector high commander" insignia (and that they're not sure what Moff insignia actually looks like).

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I concur.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The TFA Visual Dictionary refers to the red markings on the First Order pilots as hearkening back to the "flight barons" of the Empire. Given that we have canon's Baron Valen Rudor as a reference to the EU's Baron Soontir Fel, I'd say that the red markings refer to those flight barons. It's interesting though -- the First Order's use of them for elite pilots is closer to the EU's use of them for elite pilots, rather than just for barons in particular.

As for the yellow, not sure. Nobody called Skerris "baron" or anything like that.

I doubt he'd give any sort of answer except for what you just said. After all, that seems to be why the R1 Visual Guide refers to a hodgepodge of non-standard rank insignia.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  24. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    I asked Pablo about this and he has no idea.

25. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    I think Motti being chief of the navy means that he is in charge of overseeing logistics, education,policy,fleet movements etc.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.