main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Galactic Playground Lightsaber battle

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by the_black_smudge, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robeewankenobe

Robeewankenobe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 29, 2004
    Alex, how is your costume?

2. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    For what it's worth, my Lux. saber also uses AAA batteries

3. S_C_A-lexander

S_C_A-lexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2005
    And once again that's my only gripe!

Rob, at this very moment all I got is the black gi that I had for tournament and my sexy dark blue obi. I don't have black khaki's or S & or M boots. I am considering using my black hakama, and just tying it to my legs to get the parchute pants look. I'm having problems with my paypal account, and from what Erik(a) tells me, it'll be 2 weeks until I get my saber, from which it is not enough time to gauge it and see if I wanna purchase a second one in order to do doubles and whether I need a longer tube than the one that comes with it!

All and all the costumes in going well!:_|

(Rob, thanks for asking)

4. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    black khaki's never heard of those before you dont need s&m boots all you need are black boots of somekind and also some kind of tabbards as well

5. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Just as I fix my paypal account, the ultra saber site is down.

the S & or M boots is a inside joke I have with Rob. :p

I know all I need is regular boots.

Ya know I'm wondering if I can paint my bokken super-reflective silver and just call it a cortosian sword. I'm still getting a lightsaber from ultra, but I thought it'd be a unique character to have, one that uses an old fashion blade. Obviously we'd take out the rule of cortosian shorting out lightsabers, and call it a "material resistant to lightsabers."

6. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    i dont think that is a very good idea

we have had issues with people with painted weapons the paint comes off and leaves marks on the blades of others

i had several blue marks on my two old blades from when rob had his shinai painted blue
    its not healthy for the blade and im sure some people wouldnt appriciate haveing silver streaks all over their blades so i would have to say a no on that one

7. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    I agree with Rion on the painting. If you covered it in some sort of reflective tape, it could work. However I feel that it might confuse people. Also, a Bokken hits a little too hard, I wouldn't want to damage the sabers, not to mention US!

8. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    hello, its for choreo! I wouldn't free style wood with you guys, come on! Its purely for telegraphed choreo. And I probably should elaborate that I'd go for a specific type of coating, The kinda that takes a hammer to get off or chips off, none of that cheap stuff that stains other peoples weapon. And I agree I hate that crap.

This is more of a question about the characterization and costuming. I actually got hurt from our last choreo session, but I seriously over telagraph my moves for safety, when in character. I'd never go for distant hitting or tipping with the wood during choreo, cause I didn't do it with my shinai for choreo practice.

You've seen my style its designed to be quick and maximizes damage, but it makes a horrible choreo or a movie scene because its so quick. For choreo I am so reserved on power, and I'd like the scene to last as long as possible- its a show. Believe me when I say that many know that I have and brought bokkens to ocsa but have never used them on line or dueling at all! The shiney bokken (under control and telegraphed) is no more dangerous than carbon fibers rod than can just as well take out your eye.

Now that a question has appeared, I now have to ask also: Is it okay if I now test run a shiney bokken for choreo?

And my first is still: Would it be recognizable flare to have a cortosian blade in place of a lightsaber?

9. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    No.
    You have to assume that people don't know any EU (yeah, its a sci-fi event, and people probably do, but its still too far out there.) Heck the only reason I know what you're talking about is because I played KotoR a little bit.
    Also it dosn't make sense to me to have 1 light saber and 1 non-saber blade thing. Character wise, its just like, what the heck, lightsabers > cortisis, why the heck do you have that thing? If you really really really really want to dual wield, and you can't get another saber... just beg not to die first, and orginize to take one off a dead guy. (I say orginize because I know if someone did that with mine w/o asking first, I'd be a bit pissed off.)

I was going to make a comment about teh S&M boots... but I'll refrain...:p:p

10. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Release your foolish inhibitions and know the awsome power of the swartz. 8-}

Is it really that obscure?

11. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Most people that have seen Star Wars have no idea that the Expanded Universe even exists.

Plus it'll be dark so a reflective saber wont look anywhere near as good as the others do and the crowd wont pay any attention to it.

People love seeing the sabers, you should have seen the number of people drooling over them at the John Williams Concert!

12. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    like Liz and Stuart said

no one will know what the heck you are using i will still have to say no to painted weapons no matter how much clear coat or what ever you use on it it will eventually come off

and there is a HUGE differance between movie choreo and this it is LOOSE Choreo meaning its not scripted like movie or champions choreo is when using two sabers in loose choreo you have to tone it down yet have it look flashy still

the way you fight with 2 sabers is a bit to much like Demoing

13. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Huh, what? (enforcer)

:oops: Doh, it'll be too dark, nix the cortosian blade.

14. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    we are doing Loose Choreo for this event not standard choreo

and i was saying they way you fight with two sabers is more like demonstration and has no real effectivity in Loose choreo

while you are flailing around your opponent doesnt know what to do so you might want to tone it down and time your strikes

15. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Funny coming from the guy who hit me in the face, I never once touched you- I kept hitting your weapon, in a repeated fashion. I thought the idea was keep the sabers constantly moving, **** haven't you seen zorro. If I was wildly flailing as you say, I'd think someone would get hurt, oh wait... I did by you. I kept my distant and made sure only to hit your weapon, **** I did the stupidest thing to never be practical, I did a twirl hit, and really super slow since I would be taking my eyes off the oponent wanted to make sure they see it. Drac, you blocked everything I threw at you easily (which was the idea) and you came in and gave me a shiner! I saw Smudge hold back a lot and he got in across the face as well.

I don't understand what you imply by demonstration, because that would involve defines kata, locked in routines. I just kept going: left, right, up, down, and all of which you were able to parry easily. You were able to break through when you wanted to, and you did.. across my pretty face.

16. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    nevermind i give up trying to explain it to you

17. Zhi-don

Zhi-don Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    I have already spoken with Erik about this.

This will be standard dueling. The major difference will be that only main body shots will count as a kill. Wounds will not count at all, neither will back/buttocks hits. Lightsabers [that lightup] are the only weapons that will be used. Florentine will not be allowed as it takes more control than single blades. This rule may be suspended if someone actually practices a coreography fight and can demonstrate it to myself, Phil or Erik to show that it is safe. For the rest of us, we will be using the above rules.

Pax Vobiscum

18. Zhi-don

Zhi-don Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    Correction to the above post. Those who already can do florentine and have been approved, can of course do it. Rion and Sabrina are fully qualified in this. Sorry about any confusion.

19. Robeewankenobe

Feb 29, 2004
    I am open Monday, the 9/18 to do choreo at 7:00pm call me
    (714)771-1504
    Rob

20. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    im not sure if we are doing a champions battle check with smudge

21. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    My apologies, I didn't mean to put Rion (drac) on the spot in the manner I did. Getting a shinner in a telagraphed choreo had made me sore. Earlier (last wed) Billy disemboweled me, but it was light, and I thought wow that was light- perfect.

Now I am confident that I can do flourentine, thought I demonstrated it by not hurting any1 or my opponents since no 1 got their limbs cut off. I didn't want to bring about a debate of flourentine use or Rions skill into question, it was likely an accident. And thus we have practice.

Since people are already certified to go doubles on the battle lines, I feel it would be a waste of time to re-certify people for choreo.

22. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Opps I forgot to read Don's second post, but Don I believe I demonstrated my ability to Phil and Erik(a), unless you need to see it as well.

23. Robeewankenobe

Feb 29, 2004
    No champion battles....?
    Then count me out of this event.

24. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    Rob like i said check with smudge firsts

Alex:

we have 2 florentine fighters for this event already to be balanced and yes you have to be re certified for it anyways just like everyone with a speacial weapon

25. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Believe I already was, but I'll get re-certified. I don't want to leave doubts for any1, you can bare witness.

And I've already talked with smudge about me being the other flourentine to counter sabrina, unless you have made yourself available for this (drac).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.